Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Young at heart

Flash Player not working

My father in law has a Mac OS X v 10.4.11, PowerPC G4. It recently asked to upgrade the flash player, which we tried to do, and now we can not get it to work. He called the Apple tech support, but they want $58.00 to "fix" it. He doesn't have it as he is on a fixed income. What do I need to do to remedy this. We can't view any videos

Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Happy Retiree

Might take a look at this Adobe Flash player page(http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/908/cpsid_90893.html ) from that Mac computer so the Adobe page will detect the version on the computer and provide the download for the newer version.... as that page suggests, you may have to first download/save the flash player most current version to the desktop or a folder he/you can easily find, then uninstall the older version (on a PC it is found in Control Panel Add/Remove, not familiar with Mac system location for the uninstall) and then install the newer version as per the steps to assist on that adobe page.... As you see in solution step 3 on that page, you need to get the flash player for each browser used on that Mac computer.... Easy way is to open that page with each browser separately and it will detect the Flash version used by that browser....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.1 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Young at heart

Thank you for your response Big Toe, but we have done this several times It just doesn't seem to want to let us get a flash player that works now. I have uninstalled the player, d/l an older version, installed it, says it has installed correctly. If we try to view something in flash at this point, it tells us we need to upgrade the player. We then get the latest player for this Mac to no avail. When we go to install it, it says that this powerPC is no longer supported I'm not sure what to do anymore to get this to work. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you

Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Life's Tough,Get A Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
My father in law has a Mac OS X v 10.4.11, PowerPC G4. It recently asked to upgrade the flash player, which we tried to do, and now we can not get it to work. He called the Apple tech support, but they want $58.00 to "fix" it. He doesn't have it as he is on a fixed income. What do I need to do to remedy this. We can't view any videos
See if you have 32 bit or 64 bit. Right click My Computer/Left click properties/scroll down a tad and you'll see system type...that tell's you what bit you have.

You need to uninstall flash player...this has uninstaller for a 32 bit and 64 bit. Determine which bit you have.Scroll down until you come to the flash player uninstaller. Be sure and read to the bottom of page before you use the uninstaller.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_1415...er_uninstaller

Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55
Take the check mark out of McAfee Security Scan Plus
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Adobe has discontinued support for Flash Player on PowerPC's. You would need to uninstall the most current version and re-install a previous version.
Read more here under system requirements
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/890/cpsid_8...ml#main_system requirements

Should be able to find an old version here
http://mac.oldapps.com/flash_player.php
Old 01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Life's Tough,Get A Helmet

I think she left the building.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Uber Member

this may help if the other posts haven't

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/857425
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Young at heart

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't replied to these a little quicker. I don't get on here much as Dad uses his computer a lot. I get on when I can to check things. We have tried to uninstall the recent version, then install an older version to get it going, but it just won't. We keep getting the box with the Flash logo in it saying we need to upgrade the player . I will read the items posted here tho' to see if I haven't missed something. Thank you for all your help

Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Still Hanging Around

Quote:
We keep getting the box with the Flash logo in it saying we need to upgrade the player
If this warning is coming from a site, and it won't function properly without the latest player, then he is out of luck. As you can see his computer limits him to an older version, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Tims Computer Specs
Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't replied to these a little quicker. I don't get on here much as Dad uses his computer a lot. I get on when I can to check things. We have tried to uninstall the recent version, then install an older version to get it going, but it just won't. We keep getting the box with the Flash logo in it saying we need to upgrade the player . I will read the items posted here tho' to see if I haven't missed something. Thank you for all your help
Adobe has discontinued support for Flash Player on PowerPC's. You would need to uninstall the most current version and re-install a previous version.
Read more here under system requirements
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/890/cpsid_8...ml#main_system requirements

Should be able to find an old version here
http://mac.oldapps.com/flash_player.php