Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 AM

Antivirus Software?

I've always been a Windows user but I recently got a MacBook Pro. "Everyone" says that I don't need to run antivirus or malware software. True? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vla View Post
I've always been a Windows user but I recently got a MacBook Pro. "Everyone" says that I don't need to run antivirus or malware software. True? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
Vla, there are different opinions on this. A Mac is less prone to getting a virus because more viruses and malware are designed for Windows computers but that is not to say that a MAC cannot get a virus. No OS, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc is 100% immune from getting an infection. It is just that there are far more Windows computers on the net than anything else so they are the primary target.
I believe it is a good idea to install antivirus software on any OS that will be connected to the internet.

You can download ClamXav is a free virus scanner for Mac OS. X http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/

You also want to enable the Firewall. See this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1810
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Forum Moderator

Considering one of the first computer viruses was written for an Apple, the claims that Apple machines are immune is pretty much horse fodder, or in this case, elk fodder. The name of the virus was "Elk Cloner" and displayed a message to the user on every 50th boot. It was a boot sector virus passed using infected floppies. Would you rather have an anti virus and anti malware program and not need them. Or would you rather go without them and be stuck when you do need them and not have them. Pretty much a no brainer.
Da Rules, Learn 'em and Live 'em!
Mike's free security tools
Registry Cleaners are Unnecessary!!!
Reformatting is your last course of action.
System Restore, Don't use it!
Just because it is on Youtube, does not make it true!
Spes mea in Deo est
Old 03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
MikeN.

http://mac-antivirus-software-review...h-viruses.html

http://mac-antivirus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ some reviews to read. Not pushing the paid for variety, posted the link for you to read the reviews.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Saved By Grace

Thumbs up

Enjoy your new MacBook Pro, those applications Sunny suggested should take care of you just fine. I'm trying Linux and liking it..

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Shalom
Old 03-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogndog View Post
Enjoy your new MacBook Pro, those applications Sunny suggested should take care of you just fine. I'm trying Linux and liking it..
What flavor of Linux are you using Hogndog?
We run a few at work. Xubuntu is not bad.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Wow. I didn't realize I needed the firewall either!! When I asked at the Apple store about running malware/virus protection programs I was told I didn't need them. It also would have been nice, when I was asking all my questions, if they had at least mentioned the firewall. I love my Mac, but going from Windows to Mac is a big adjustment!

Thank you for all the information. I have turned on the firewall and will make sure I install an antivirus program immediately.

You guys are awesome! THANKS!!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Saved By Grace

Your welcome, enjoy.. lets start a thread over yonder in Linux Sunny..

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Shalom
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vla View Post
Wow. I didn't realize I needed the firewall either!! When I asked at the Apple store about running malware/virus protection programs I was told I didn't need them. It also would have been nice, when I was asking all my questions, if they had at least mentioned the firewall. I love my Mac, but going from Windows to Mac is a big adjustment!

Thank you for all the information. I have turned on the firewall and will make sure I install an antivirus program immediately.

You guys are awesome! THANKS!!
You're welcome.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogndog View Post
your welcome, enjoy.. :d lets start a thread over yonder in linux sunny.. :d
Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Saved By Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I know.. the letter of the law is on my heals..

Shalom