Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM

anti-virus ???

Can anyone here who has a mac recommend an anti-virus program that they have actually used and like? The apple people keep telling me I don't need one but I am beginning to think its better to be safe than sorry. Thanks .
IE11 & Firefox
500 gb harddrive
4 g. of ram
spywareblaster
Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Can anyone here who has a mac recommend an anti-virus program that they have actually used and like? The apple people keep telling me I don't need one but I am beginning to think its better to be safe than sorry. Thanks .
Curios as to what that/those Bozo Mac sales folks response to this article on the history of Mac malware from folks at Sophos could possibly be: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...lware-history/

Sunny, a Mac user, gives some good suggestions in this link: http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=159175

You are far wiser than those "myth perpetuators" at Apple stores who so fear being even considered ordinary and susceptible to virus and malware attacks, for fear it would cut into their sale of expensive computers. Are they willing to back their claims and freely clean an infected Mac, no charge to their victims? ...
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Thanks Big Toe for the information. Will take a look at the anti-virus Sunny has listed in the link. Sunny since you have a mac...do you use anti-virus and if so which one of the three you listed???
IE11 & Firefox
500 gb harddrive
4 g. of ram
spywareblaster
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Uber Member

This from just three days ago;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422

Also this from last January;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4609968.stm
Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free

Why is it that all instruments created to find "intelligent life" are pointed "AWAY" from Earth?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Big Toe for the information. Will take a look at the anti-virus Sunny has listed in the link. Sunny since you have a mac...do you use anti-virus and if so which one of the three you listed???
Hi Chere, I have a Macbook at work that I dual boot with Windows 7. Right now I use Windows the majority of the time and don't have any antivirus software installed on the Mac side but I would try Avast. We run the business version at work so would just stick with that. You can try it and see how it runs for you. If you don't like it you can always try one of the others.
If you are using your Mac I would recommend installing one of them. With the recent Flashback Trojan infection it is important to stay protected. This will not be the last virus/infection to hit Mac's.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanks Sunny....I think I will try Avast. I have used Avast on one of my pc's and it seemed to work fine.
IE11 & Firefox
500 gb harddrive
4 g. of ram
spywareblaster
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Sunny....I think I will try Avast. I have used Avast on one of my pc's and it seemed to work fine.
You're welcome Chere.