Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
no, i don't have any cookie at all in the icon cookie area. The icon in the address bar was removed with firefox version 10 for security reasons which is what this refers to.
Yours is on a first party persistent cookie, meaning it is reused. As the web site tells you:

What version of firefox are you using?
ff 16.0.2

Win10~HP Pavilion 64 bit~All-in-one
AT&T U-Verse wireless~IE~FF~500GB HD
4GB Memory~Avast Antivirus~Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware Professional.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candida View Post
ff 16.0.2
Have no idea then why you have this orange cookie listing. I have none. Does your address bar show an Icon from the web site you are visiting or does it show the Gray Globe like mine?

How large do you have the browser cache set? I have mine set at 50MB. Try clearing your cache. Then try the test again.

Close all tabs first down to just one. Then go to Tools, Options, Advanced, set the Cache at no more than 50 and then clear the Cache. Then run the test again and see if this makes a difference.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Old Timer

After making sure my wife's Google Chrome and my Firefox settings were set to show no problems I then realized that we both also had Chrome and IE which may need checking. Although we seldom use those browsers they also need checking. Sure enough my Chrome and IE were showing problems and her IE was problematic. Just a reminder to others.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candida View Post
Judy do you have any idea how to correct the orange cookie, I see yours is blank also. They say its no big problem but it should be checked

http://i49.tinypic.com/2d14r9s.jpg

I blocked all cookies in IE but the test still shows all red in third party cookies
When I clicked "Advance" in tools I saw nothing under security for cookies
I think Candida means this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (72.3 KB, 329 views)

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
I think Candida means this.
Yes I know that's what she means. I saw that in her post #19 and the reason I noted that it is a first party persistent cookie meaning that it's reused each time you visit the page its from until it expires or manually removed. That's why I gave her the suggestion lower the amount of disk space for the cache and then to try clearing the Firefox cache and run the test again.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm here to learn

guess I'm in good shape
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugee View Post
guess I'm in good shape
Looks like it to me...did you use a magnifying glass to see that on your little netbook?

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Epic Member

My disk space was set on 50, I cleaned my FF cache and I still have the stale cookie..."I hate stale cookies" I am not going to worry to much about it. Thanks for your help

Win10~HP Pavilion 64 bit~All-in-one
AT&T U-Verse wireless~IE~FF~500GB HD
4GB Memory~Avast Antivirus~Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware Professional.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Old geezer.

Thank you much. I had third party session cookies enabled.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Senior aged member

Quote:
This likely belongs in the Security section but because of a recent thread about cookie handling and privacy issues thought it a good idea to post this link here in PC Help because more people would see it.
Here is a test that will quickly analyze how your browser handles cookies and maintains your privacy.
Just click the link and it will quickly scan your browser and give you a read out of your browsers configuration and test its privacy ability also. Takes just a few seconds. It also will show you if you have a leakage of information.

You may get a surprise, hopefully its a good one.

http://www.grc.com/cookies/forensics.htm

I was very pleased because my Firefox version 16.02 scored completely with green ratings, top to bottom as shown by my print screen and no browser cookie leakage bug either!

Even though I rarely use IE but I do have it configured correctly in case I do use it, I decided to test it. While it had green scores on two sections it did show my IE had a problem in two areas and I was VERY surprised.

First-party session cookies
- These are temporary cookies set by the web site being visited (the first-party). They are not stored permanently and are retained only until the browser session is ended (the web browser application is closed).
First-party persistent cookies - These are permanent cookies set by the web site being visited (the first-party). They are stored permanently and will be retained either until their requested expiration date and time, or until they are manually deleted through some user action.
Third-party session cookies — These are temporary cookies not set by the web site being visited (the first-party) but rather by some other “third-party” web server referenced by the (first-party) site being visited. Being session cookies they are not stored permanently and will be retained only until the browser session is ended (the web browser application is closed).
Third-party persistent cookies — These are permanent cookies not set by the web site being visited (the first-party) but rather by some other “third-party” web server referenced by the (first-party) site being visited. Being persistent (permanent) cookies that are stored permanently, they will be retained either until their requested expiration date and time, or until they are manually deleted through some user action. These are the worst of all cookies since they are typically planted into a user's browser without the user's knowledge, permission, or expectation, after which time they can — and are — used to track users across the Internet compiling profiles of sites visited, search queries used, and collecting all manner of personal and private information.
I also had a Blue Browser Leakage bug in IE the presence of a web browser cookie leakage bug that cannot be prevented through the browser's cookie controls.
Here are the three I had in IE and info on them from GRC

Now I had always followed the recommendation of having session cookies enabled since they are deleted when you leave the web page, imagine my surprise when I found this doesn't make much difference in IE...some of them are NOT deleted and this apparently is by design, because it doesn't matter if you don't have that enabled, because I tried it, and some of them still show on the test.
After deleting all History and Cookies, I tried resetting IE's Security and Privacy settings at various levels and still received the exact same results.
If you set everything at the very highest level of security on IE and don't allow session cookies then unfortunately it is almost impossible to use the browser at all.
I also am including a print screen of the site's chart showing what IE can do as far as cookie handling. This only goes up to IE 8 but based on my results testing IE 9, none of what they found wrong with IE 6 thru IE8 has been fixed. They also had a chart for Firefox but it only went up to Firefox 3. If my results for Firefox 16.02 are any indicator though it can do it all.

So if nothing else, this tells me I am right in rarely if ever using IE.
Hi Judy,
I ran the scan and the results are in the attachment.
What should I do and how
oldgoat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookies scan.jpg (98.2 KB, 279 views)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Len, this is Internet Explorer Right???

Look at my print screens and be sure that yours are set exactly the same way as shown.
You begin by going up to Tools, Internet Options. Then change your settings.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior aged member

Quote:
No, I don't have any cookie at all in the Icon cookie area. The Icon in the address bar was removed with Firefox version 10 for security reasons which is what this refers to. See my attachments. It is just a "generic" Gray Globe icon showing there in Firefox. Most websites when using a fully updated Firefox version will have the gray globe, because they don't involve passing sensitive information back and forth and do not need to have verified identities or encrypted connections.
Note the WS Icon showing in the address bar in IE.
Yours is on a first party persistent cookie, meaning it is reused. As the web site tells you:

What version of Firefox are you using?
Hi Judy
I rn the scan and the results are in the attachment, all the other tresults were green.
What do I do about this and how
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookies scan.jpg (98.2 KB, 292 views)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
Hi Judy
I rn the scan and the results are in the attachment, all the other tresults were green.
What do I do about this and how
I know Len, I already gave you the answer on what to do in post #31.

Those are 3rd party cookies that you see in Red. You never, ever want 3rd party cookies.

You absolutely 100% want those also to show Green also.

In order to get that Close ALL browser windows except ONE.

Then you have to look at my printscreens in my last post #31, to you and follow the steps shown in those print screens.

Then close the browser completely. Open again and run the test again. You should see then that everything is green.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Almost Really Old Member

I have a correction here for the print screens shown in post #31

Even if you have 3rd party cookies blocked, 3rd party Session cookies, will still be saved in your browser and can send information to other web sites. So Session cookies shouldn't be saved in IE to avoid this.

Another reason to use a safer browser.

Look at this new attachment for the Better setting for these.

I apologize to Len or anyone else that this previous setting may have caused confusion over. Sorry. Didn't even notice this until today when looking at Len's print screen.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Major Member

Test Your Browser's Cookie Handling and Privacy

Judy, I thought I posted something here about Google Chrome. Which you didn't address.

Based on your instructions I think I've got IE8/9 about as good as it will get? I'd like to get at Google Chrome though as every session and persistent circle is red. Page, Image, CSS.

Thanks, Ralph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd party cookie IE9.jpg (101.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Judy, I thought I posted something here about Google Chrome. Which you didn't address.

Based on your instructions I think I've got IE8/9 about as good as it will get? I'd like to get at Google Chrome though as every session and persistent circle is red. Page, Image, CSS.

Thanks, Ralph
Ralph, you're all over the place in this thread and that makes it harder for everyone. One thread, one topic.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Yes you have IE as good as it will get. Please note this paragraph from my first post:
Quote:
Now I had always followed the recommendation of having session cookies enabled since they are deleted when you leave the web page, imagine my surprise when I found this doesn't make much difference in IE...some of them are NOT deleted and this apparently is by design, because it doesn't matter if you don't have that enabled, because I tried it, and some of them still show on the test.
After deleting all History and Cookies, I tried resetting IE's Security and Privacy settings at various levels and still received the exact same results.
If you set everything at the very highest level of security on IE and don't allow session cookies then unfortunately it is almost impossible to use the browser at all.
I also am including a print screen of the site's chart showing what IE can do as far as cookie handling. This only goes up to IE 8 but based on my results testing IE 9, none of what they found wrong with IE 6 thru IE8 has been fixed. They also had a chart for Firefox but it only went up to Firefox 3. If my results for Firefox 16.02 are any indicator though it can do it all.

So if nothing else, this tells me I am right in rarely if ever using IE.
Firefox 18.0.2 has the same results IT CAN DO IT ALL. Therefore much, much safer than IE. See my attachment.

I didn't post anything about Chrome because I do not use it and therefore cannot tell you have to do these settings with Chrome. Perhaps a regular user of Chrome can give that information for correct, SAFE, cookie handling. I just know that Firefox passes EACH and EVERY TEST 100%.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
high-handed

Hmm, that page doesn't work for me. All it does is go from 4 to 3 and back again with both Firefox and Seamonkey. Hitting the manual advance doesn't help. Must be something about my settings, but I can't imagine what it would be.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”
George Orwell
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
Hmm, that page doesn't work for me. All it does is go from 4 to 3 and back again with both Firefox and Seamonkey. Hitting the manual advance doesn't help. Must be something about my settings, but I can't imagine what it would be.
See this message from the page:
Quote:
If this page does not automatically count down, advancing to the final cookie forensics page, your web browser is not responding to this page's request to automatically advance. You may either enable your browser's “meta-refresh” function (which something is deliberately inhibiting) to make cookie reading quick and automatic, or click this link to manually advance through these four analysis pages.
Try that, clicking the link on the page in that paragraph which is right below the advancing numbers.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
high-handed

Quote:
Try that, clicking the link on the page in that paragraph which is right below the advancing numbers.
Already tried it, doesn't help.

I have no problems anywhere else, so I'm not going to worry about it.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”
George Orwell
Closed Thread