Creating a Signature For The Worldstart Message Board
A signature allows you to automatically insert text and or graphics in the posts you create and reply to. A signature can include your name, a quote or phrase, a picture and other information.
When creating a signature for the Worldstart message boards it is helpful to include your computer information in your signature. If the members replying to your post are able to view the details about your computer when responding it allows them to provide an answer to your question without having to ask you for that information.
Often when you ask a question the person helping you needs to know certain information about your computer before they can offer a response. Some information you should include in your signature is the make and model of your computer, operating system and operating system version, hard drive size, installed memory, processor type and speed, antivirus and other security software you have installed, the web browser and browser version you are using, other devices such as printers and MFP’s you have attached to your computer or network, smart phones, tablets, router and cable modem information and any other information you would like to include pertaining to the hardware and software you have installed. If you have more than one computer you can include both in your signature and then when asking a question specify which computer you are referring to in your post.
There are many ways to gather information about your system. Windows has built in utilities that allow you to view details about the hardware and software you have installed. One way to view system information is to use the msinfo32 utility. You can create a text file from that menu. From the text file you can copy and paste the information you want to include in your signature.
To open the system information utility, click Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. Or in newer versions of Windows click Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > System Information. You can also click Start > Run and in the run line type msinfo32. Click OK and the System Information Utility will open.
In the System Information Utility menu click the system summary heading. Then click the file menu > export. The save as/export as window will open. This will allow you to choose a location on your computer where you would like to save the text file that contains your system information. Use the save in drop down to choose a location to save the file. In the file name field give the file a name. Click the save button.
Close the System Information Utility menu and go to the location on your computer where you saved the file to open it. The file will contain much more information about your system than you want to include in your signature. Don’t include any personal information in your signature such as your name, license numbers, etc. but you can easily copy and paste information from the text file into your signature. You certainly don’t have to use the System Configuration Utility to gather the details about your system you can simply type the information directly into your signature if you like.
Another way to gather information about your computer is to right click on “My Computer” or “This PC” in the start menu. From the right click menu choose properties. This will display basic information about your system. To view your hard drive size, open “My Computer” or “This PC” you will see a list of all of the hard drives and other drives attached to your computer. To view details about the hard drive, right click the hard drive and choose properties from the right click menu. Under the general tab you will see the total disk size, available and free space.
1) From the message board homepage, click the User CP link on the toolbar.
2) Under Settings & Options click Edit Signature.
3) In the message body window enter the information you would like to include in your signature. Use the toolbar at the top of the window to customize your signature.
4) If you would like to include an image in your signature you can upload an image from a file hosting site or use an image that is saved on your computer. To upload an image from a file hosting site, enter the URL to the Image in the URL box. Then click the upload button. To upload an image from your computer click the browse button. Browse to the location on your computer where the file is saved then click the upload button. Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
5) When you are finished creating your signature you can choose to save the signature or preview the signature. If you click save the signature will be saved right away, if you click preview signature you will show a preview of what your signature will look like. If you are happy with the details click the save signature button. You can also make changes before saving.
6) After saving your signature it will be automatically inserted into each post you create and reply to.
7) If you need to change your signature and update your information just open the User CP and under Settings & Options click edit signature.
Last edited by Sunny; 03-19-2014 at 07:37 AM.