Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
I have no personal experience, but I have been assured in another forum that Softpedia is right up there with MajorGeeks in the trustworthy stakes. Does anyone know otherwise?
I have used the site many times Paul. But even MajorGeeks has some links on the site that if you click them can lead you to an unreputable site. And things can change daily. Links on the page that may have previously directed you to a safe site can change and direct you somewhere else the next day.

When downloading any software be sure that the website you are getting the software from is a reputable site. If you are not sure if the site is safe don’t download the software. Many programs come “bundled” with other software. When installing a new program always choose the custom or advanced installation option. Read each screen carefully before clicking the next, continue or OK button. Read the software license agreement before downloading.
When you go to a website to download the software pay close attention before clicking the download button. Many sites will have other software listed on the site that is included in the download. You may have the choice to “uncheck” the additional software being offered.

Each time you download a file, save the file to your computer. Do not run directly from the website. After the download has finished, run a scan with your antivirus software on the downloaded file before installing the program. Most antivirus software programs will allow you to run a scan on the file by right clicking the file. From the right click menu you should have the option to scan. If you do not see that option in the right click menu open your antivirus software and scan the file.
There are some well know websites that are unsafe. BrotherSoft, Softonic, Giveaway of the Day, Downloads.com, CNET, SourceForge, FreewareFiles, Tucows, and Warez websites are some of the sites to avoid. Do not install programs that offer free music downloads such as Bearshare or Frostwire, do not use Peer to Peer file sharing sites such as BitTorrent, UTorrent and others.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Junior Senior Member

Really?

As a response to me, that post was patronising and totally unnecessary.

Good general advice, but not after quoting my post.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
Really?

As a response to me, that post was patronising and totally unnecessary.

Good general advice, but not after quoting my post.
Sorry if I offended you Paul. Just trying to be helpful.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM

How do I find out if I have those downloads you mentioned?
I am not good with computers, so if there is an easy way to find out, I would appreciate it.
My Malwarebytes sometimes shows PUP.
3GB
AVIRA anti virus
MALWAREBYTES
ADBLOCK PLUs
Old 09-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedirn63 View Post
I am not good with computers, so if there is an easy way to find out, I would appreciate it.
This sticky is not the place to ask this question, this really is an information only sticky.

Follow the instructions on the Preliminary Cleanup steps sticky. http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=160594

Then create a new thread in the Virus and Malware Help section and post the logs requested from the Preliminary Cleanup steps and then we'll be most happy to offer assistance there.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedirn63 View Post
I have a few tutorials in the Guides and Tutorials Forum. You can view them here.

http://forum.worldstart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

One of them is a guide to free alternatives to paid programs.
http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=166641

Another is how to stay safe online.
http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=166852
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM
99% sugar free

I wanted to mention this. I went to download Avast for my new computer. I was at the official Avast site. The download was coming from Download dot com, however. I found it at Majorgeeks.

I get weary of having to be so vigilant.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Rachel View Post
I wanted to mention this. I went to download Avast for my new computer. I was at the official Avast site. The download was coming from Download dot com, however. I found it at Majorgeeks.

I get weary of having to be so vigilant.
Rachel, this isn't new, Avast Free download has been redirected to CNET/Download.com at least since 2012, and we actually stopped listing it as a recommended free anti-virus program several years ago.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM
99% sugar free

Good to know. I hadn't realized that. It's been a great program. Perhaps it's time to change.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Rachel View Post
Good to know. I hadn't realized that. It's been a great program. Perhaps it's time to change.
We've been recommending Avira Free or Bitdefender Free. Both score above Avast on independent testing and have for several years.

Links are in this sticky;

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=166227

I see it is going to need some editing, Windows firewall is excellent on both Windows 7 and Windows 8. No need for a 3rd party firewall any more either.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 09-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Thank you for the list of websites! My grandson has come across few of them and got malware, so that they had to reinstall the whole system. I did some internet research myself, as I'm too concerned about my grandson's online safety, and I've come across http://emsi.at/kidsafe . They give a few tips on how to protect our kids online and what parental control is better. Has anybody tried it yet? I would appreciate everyone to share your thoughts and maybe tips on how you protect your precious kids online as well as control their online activity.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 10 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon, IE 11 & cable.
Ninite which I am testing is a site for SAFE downloading and/or updating of Non Microsoft software for Windows. So far, so good.

http://www.howtogeek.com/201354/nini...dows-freeware/

https://ninite.com/

Click Here to view latest edition
Old 05-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Major Member

In today's "How-to-Geek", they claim that SourceForge and Tucows have changed their policies and no longer include PUP'S and other unwanted software.
There has been a change of ownership and/or management at these sites, making them safe for downloads, or so it is claimed.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Epic Member

Yep agree and don`t know why everyone does not use https://ninite.com/ always a clean install and NOTHING bundled using it for years..also if what you want not there can suggest on the site in the form of a request
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Almost Really Old Member

FileHippo Warning

Better late than never and because of a request today, I add FileHippo to sites unsafe for downloads.

We had this come up recently in this post;
http://forum.worldstart.com/showpost...5&postcount=10

And I know it defintely has been discussed before here, though I cannot find the threads now, but I now for sure add FileHippo to sites to avoid.

This has been noted by other web sites for at least two years so we are behind the times here;

Take care, FileHippo starts offering downloads via Installers!

Beware: FileHippo Now Pushing Adware

Is it safe to download softwares from Filehippo.com?

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up