Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Updates, Security, and Scams

Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads

Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads

CNET., Download.com, Softonic, Soft32, Tucows, SourceForge, Softomate*, Brothersoft*, Filewon.com*

In the last 6 week period, from mid-February to March 31, 2014, there have been 20 threads begun in the Virus and Malware Help Forum. 2 of those were not infection related but one question asking about a specific av program and the other one was a question for removing a legitimate program. The other 18 all were posted by users with infected computers. While 3 of them chose not to do the cleanup steps (one stating he would "live with it") & the other 2 just not returning), the other 15 did follow instructions and completely cleaned up their computers. On every single one of those 18 threads, including the 3 who chose not to clean, the computers in question contained PUP Malware, Potentially Unwanted Programs.

Why did ALL of these 18 computers end up with these PUP's? For ONE REASON and ONE REASON ONLY, each and every user got their Free program downloads using one or more of the 9 Unsafe download web sites listed above. No Other Reason, that is the ONLY way these PUP's can enter a computer.

Despite the fact that every user asks WHY, and despite the fact that we continue to stress not to use these sites, listing them each and every time, people continue to do so, some multiple times after their first cleanup when they were told WHY, and also despite the fact that Kassie posted a sticky giving a warning about using CNET for downloads two years ago,

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=157919

yet people still continue to use CNET and all the others listed above.

Each & every one of those 9 sites force users to take a 3rd party bundler installer in order to receive the program the user wants.

Several of the sites also include an "special downloader" to allegedly speed up the downloads. There is no such thing. Download speeds depend on the users internet provider and if it is a slow provider then nothing you install on the computer itself can make it go faster than the speed provided by the Internet Provider.

Do a search for a download "speeder upper" program and the first links given are for one or more of those 9 web sites listed above. Most of the other links, not related to one of those, are for articles on how to speed the computer in general, no downloads for programs to speed downloads.

So those 9 sites force the users to take 2 extras that absolutely are NOT NEEDED and have nothing to do with the programs they wanted. An extra or special installer is NEVER needed, legitimate programs use either their OWN installer that comes WITH the program or use the built in Windows Installer.

Both of these "download helpers" and "special installers" are bundle ware containers. The web sites above are PAID to use them so that the PUP's contained in them will be installed on the users computers, without the users knowledge, for advertising purposes and tracking purposes so users can be directed to the web sites the PUP programs want them to visit and also can bring in additional PUP's or something much worse when visiting sites they are directed to but did not choose.

The first six web sites receive GREEN WOT ratings because the web sites themselves are safe to READ, but NOT safe for downloads.

Softomate and Brothersoft both have Orange/Yellow Unsatisfactory WOT ratings, meaning the web sites themselves should not be visited at all.
Filewon.com is little known and therefore has no WOT rating yet but it uses a VERY DANGEROUS 3rd party installer containing dangerous PUP's.

These 9 sites likely are not the only sites that use these, they are just the ones well known. Go to the developer web site 1st for downloads, then check either majorgeeks or filehippo for whatever it is that you want, if neither of those two safe sites offer it then you just don't need or want it.

For your own safety and the safety of your computer and everything on it Please Stop Using Those Websites for Downloads.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Giddy Up!

There were three things I learned fairly early in my internet experience regarding downloads.
1. Make sure you know it's safe by Googling and reading feedback at security forums.
2. Always go to the application's author to get the download you want.
3. Always perform a MANUAL, not automatic installation so you can uncheck unwanted software options forced upon you.

(Yes, I'm still alive lol...just really busy)

Virus Infections/Hijacked?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
There were three things I learned fairly early in my internet experience regarding downloads.
1. Make sure you know it's safe by Googling and reading feedback at security forums.
2. Always go to the application's author to get the download you want.
3. Always perform a MANUAL, not automatic installation so you can uncheck unwanted software options forced upon you.

(Yes, I'm still alive lol...just really busy)
Well Hello Stranger!!! So good to "see" you!!! It has been WAY TOO Long!!!

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Giddy Up!

Hi Judy. Yes, it has. I just had to pop in to see my family lol

Old 04-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
You know you CAN stick around...you are certainly still recognized
There have been a lot of times when working on a malware thread I hoped you would stop by so I could ask you a question, would have saved a lot of searches I bet though I do love searching.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Great to see you pop in Al. was only thinking about you yesterday and then find you have posted today. How neat is that? Hope all is well with you. Hows the photography going?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by three lions View Post
Great to see you pop in Al. was only thinking about you yesterday and then find you have posted today. How neat is that? Hope all is well with you. Hows the photography going?
Hi Neil. Good to see you here.
Just so everyone knows, when I was "busy and always here" at this forum, all I did was go to work and spend all my free time here. That was my hobby. During this time I was retired from competitive bodybuilding, quit working out for years, and just kept to myself. Then I had a workplace injury, had surgery and through rehab for the injury, started working out again. The workout bug came back. I've been right into it since 2006. It's a lifestyle that takes away a lot of free time, especially when working a regular job of 40 hours a week....but I really enjoy it.
Growing up, I was always fascinated with cameras and became the unofficial photographer for my family. Through social media, others around me found out that passion and complimented me on my photos. I bugged a few friends to pose for me, and before you know it, I was being asked how much I charge lol..when I never did. Now I'm at the point where I get paid to shoot people and events as a side job.
Add to that, I also get friends, family and relatives asking me to fix their lame computers too when they have issues.
These things keep me sane and happy and are the reason why I'm barely here. Yesterday was the first time I revisited the forum in 2014. Quite a change from the 5 hours a day I used to spend here.
I'm certainly glad others took over the reigns to keep this forum going. I do miss you guys and will never forget this place and the joy it gave me to help others. Take care!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Uber Member

Greetings from sunny Scotland Crockett!!!

Great to hear you are doing OK.
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 AM
Epic Member

Hello Crockett Good to see you posting again I know you are busy but I hope you come by more often

2.HP WIN 10 HOME PREM 32 BIT, 6 GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive
"Same programs as computer 1 above"
Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 AM
More Mopar

Very nice to see you post again Crockett! You were one of the first to help me when I joined this board many years ago and the reason I stuck around. Glad to hear all is well with you and you are back to what you enjoy. Please do post now and again. It is always good to see a familiar face.

Paul
Win 7 home premium
SuperAntispy, Avira, Malewarebytes, spyware blaster, CrapCleaner, Spybot S&D
500G HD
Time Warner Cable
LG Blu Ray Burner, LG Blu Ray Player
Asus EN9500GT 1GB Video
Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Old Timer

Nice to hear from you again Crockett. Thanks for you help in the past. It is good to see you are busy, active and healthy. Best of luck for your future.
Lester
Old 04-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Giddy Up!

Hi and thanks, everyone. It's nice to see the names I knew so well while here.