Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Guides and Tutorials

Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Forum Moderator

Using Libraries in Windows 7 & Windows 8/8.1

Windows 7 introduced a new feature called Libraries. Think of a library as a central location to manage files that are located in different areas on your computer. Windows 7 & Windows 8 default libraries are documents, pictures, music and videos.

Libraries are similar to a folder but unlike a folder libraries don’t actually store the files, they monitor folder that contain the files and provide a single place to access all of those files in one location.

For example you may have pictures stored in several different folders scattered around your computer. Using a library you can add all of the folders that contain those pictures to a single library and access all of those pictures in that library at once.

You can create new libraries and specify which folders you would like to include in the libraries, or you can specify which folders you would like to include in an existing library. Only folders can be included in libraries, individual files cannot. Libraries can include folders on your local disk or another hard drive attached to your computer, a computer on your home network, a computer that is part of a homegroup or a folder that is located on a USB flash drive, SD card or microSD card.

View Libraries in Windows 8.1
1) Windows 8.1 changed the library setting. To view libraries in Windows 8.1, open the charms menu, click search and type file explorer in the search box. Click file explorer in the search results menu.
2) In the file explorer window click the view menu. Click navigation pane. Click show libraries. The libraries menu will now be shown in the navigation pane in file explorer.

Open Default Libraries
1) Open file explorer.
2) In the navigation pane the libraries folder will be displayed. Each default libraries folder will include two folder locations, one from the user profile folder and one from the pubic folder.

Adding Folders to a Library
1) Open file explorer.
2) Navigate to the folder that you would like to include in the library.
3) Right click the folder and from the right click menu choose include in library. A list of existing libraries will be displayed. Choose a library from the list or click the create new button to create a new library.
Note: When you add a folder to a library the original folder is not moved or changed.
4) You can also open the folder that you would like to add to a library. On the toolbar choose include in library.

Note: You will only see the include in library option on the toolbar if the folder is not already included in an existing library.

5) You can also right click an existing library. From the right click menu choose properties. The library properties window will open.
6) Click the add button. Browse to the folder you would like to add to the library and select the folder. Click include folder. To add another folder click the add button again. When finished click OK to close the library properties window.

Create New Libraries
1) Open the libraries folder. You can open the libraries folder by opening file explorer and clicking libraries in the navigation pane.
2) In the navigation pane, right click libraries and from the right click menu choose new > library, or right click a blank area of the libraries window and from the right click menu choose new > library.
3) Type a name for the new library.

Delete a Library
1) Open file explorer.
2) In the navigation pane right click the library you would like to delete. Choose delete from the right click menu.

Note: If you delete a default library but later would like to restore that library, right click libraries in the navigation pane. From the right click menu choose restore default libraries.

Hide a Library
If you hide a library it will not be shown in the navigation pane but it will be shown in the libraries menu.
1) Open file explorer.
2) In the navigation pane right click the library you would like to hide. From the right click menu choose don’t show in navigation pane.
3) You can also open the libraries window, right click the library you would like to hide and from the right click menu choose properties.
4) Uncheck the option to show in navigation pane. Click OK.
Show a Library
1) Open file explorer.
2) In the libraries window right click the library you would like to show. From the right click menu choose show in navigation pane.
3) You can also open the libraries window, right click the library you would like to show and from the right click menu choose properties.
4) Check the option to show in navigation pane. Click OK.

Searching a Library
When you use the search feature to search a library, the search includes all folders in that library. This allows you to search multiple folders and drives at one time.
1) Open file explorer.
2) In the search libraries box on the toolbar type what you would like to search for. The search results will be displayed in the main window.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Uber Member

I can see that I'm going to do some more reading. You keep me busy Sunny.

Thank you for the post!
Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free
Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
I can see that I'm going to do some more reading. You keep me busy Sunny.

Thank you for the post!
You're welcome stringbean.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:35 PM

DITTO to Sunny. She is always teaching us some new stuff.. Keeps my brain cells active Thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudkie View Post
DITTO to Sunny. She is always teaching us some new stuff.. Keeps my brain cells active Thanks
You're welcome Dudkie.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 AM

Sunny, Thank you so much for this info; that is a most informative 'article'. I didn't know you could add Folders and add from many other places to the Library and even add/delete from the Library.

Last edited by bearcat31; 05-22-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat31 View Post
Sunny, Thank you so much for this info; that is a most informative 'article'. I didn't know you could add Folders and add from many other places to the Library and even add/delete from the Library.
Hi bearcat31, you're welcome and very glad you found it helpful. Have a good day.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm here to learn

Sunny you post the most helpful tips
I never did know the purpose of libraries but I see it sure makes the search for a folder a lot easier
thanks so much please keep up the tips and hints it is really helpful even to an old time computer user & an old timer
never say u're to old to learn :
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugee View Post
Sunny you post the most helpful tips
I never did know the purpose of libraries but I see it sure makes the search for a folder a lot easier
thanks so much please keep up the tips and hints it is really helpful even to an old time computer user & an old timer
never say u're to old to learn :
You're welcome sugee, so glad you found it helpful. Have a nice holiday weekend.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Library is a new experience for me, Thanks Sunny for the the article, some reading to do to keep up with the times.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:42 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory 10046 View Post
Library is a new experience for me, Thanks Sunny for the the article, some reading to do to keep up with the times.
Hi Emory, at first I did not really like or quite understand the "library" feature but once I started using them I like them.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:55 PM

windows 7 libraries

Sunny:

I have some studying to do on Libraries I see.

I have Windows 7 and have been told that one should download and install the Windows 7 Library Tool. Is that really needed?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Uber Member

Once again, thank You Sunny!
Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free
Old 05-26-2014, 02:29 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Sunny:

I have some studying to do on Libraries I see.

I have Windows 7 and have been told that one should download and install the Windows 7 Library Tool. Is that really needed?

Thanks.
Hi Trapper, Windows 7 uses libraries. You do not need the Library Tool program to use them. You can read more here.

http://lifehacker.com/5435534/win7-l...edia-libraries
Old 05-26-2014, 02:30 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
Once again, thank You Sunny!
You're welcome stringbean.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 AM
99% sugar free

Thank you, Sunny. I've had this machine for nearly four years and up till now, libraries have just been an annoyance. Think I'll play with it a bit now that I have more information.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Rachel View Post
Thank you, Sunny. I've had this machine for nearly four years and up till now, libraries have just been an annoyance. Think I'll play with it a bit now that I have more information.
You're welcome Rachel. I think once you use them you will like them.