Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Guides and Tutorials

Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Forum Moderator

How to tell if someone is connecting to your wireless network

If you have a wireless network setup you should occasionally check to see what computers and other devices are connected to your network. If there are unauthorized users connected to your network you should take immediate action. They may be using your internet connection which can cause connection and slowness issues but they can also gain access to your home network and the computers and other devices connected to your network. There may also be legal implications if they use your network for illegal or illicit activity.

View devices connected to your router
If your network is properly secured no one should have access to your router but no type of security is 100% effective.

Find router IP address
If you setup your router correctly you should know the IP address. When you initially setup your router the IP address should be changed. If you did not change it you would use the routers default IP address to log in. Each manufacturer is different. You can find the default IP address in the documentation that came with your router or you can visit the router manufactures website and download the manual for your specific make/model. You can also find the default IP address of many routers using a Google search.

Find the router IP address using the command prompt
1) Click start > run, in the run line type cmd. Press enter or click OK. Or click start > programs > windows system > command prompt.
2) In the command prompt window type ipconfig then press enter. The routers IP address should be listed under your network card next to default gateway.

Logging into your router
1) Open your web browser and enter the router IP address into the address bar. Press enter.
2) You should be prompted for a login and password. Enter the login information for your router.
3) Once you are logged into the router look for a section for connected devices, attached devices, DHCP reservation or wireless status. You can also check the log file on the router. Logging is a feature that can be enabled on most routers. Once enabled the log will show you the incoming and outgoing traffic on your router.
4) If you find unauthorized computers or devices connected to your router you will want to reset the router, change the router IP address and password. Then enable all security that is available on your router. Securing your wireless network is extremely important. See my guide here on how to secure your wireless network. http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=166847
Old 06-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Epic Member

Thanks Sunny For the Info.Jerry

2.HP WIN 10 HOME PREM 32 BIT, 6 GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive
"Same programs as computer 1 above"
Old 06-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypc1 View Post
Thanks Sunny For the Info.Jerry
You're welcome Jerry.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Epic Member

I've noticed sometimes at night when I'm not on the computer the lights are really busy on my router. Is this normal or does it mean some else is using my network?
Canon PIXMA MG3620 printer
DSL, Spywareblaser, Malwarebytes
Firefox 50.1.0, IE 11
Old 01-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieR View Post
I've noticed sometimes at night when I'm not on the computer the lights are really busy on my router. Is this normal or does it mean some else is using my network?
If your wifi devices are not turned completely off/shut down, then many programs likely call home to check for updates. The router is continually calling home to run checks on the lines and cables and is continually active to different degrees at all times.... that is why high speed connections done by cable/DSL lines are said to "always be on" as packets are continually going back and forth as the router is always in touch with the ISP.... You could always do a check as suggested by Sunny in her original post, but 99.99% sure it is just the "always on" connection the router has with the ISP. And, of course ISPs are continually checking their lines to be sure all is working as it should so they canb have happy customers....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 52.0.1, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
One reason why I turn off my computer at night. To each his own though.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
That is probably normal. Pretty good explanation here.
http://lifehacker.com/5979481/why-do...g-the-internet
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Smile-it's priceless

I have been using this utility for years and do like it. It picks up our various tablets, phones, laptops & pc. It also shows when my grandgirls online when they visit. My password is so long and confusing that I usually just connect them to it myself.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...k_watcher.html

PC-W7,sp1 upgraded to W10 64bit, 8GB Ram, 1Tb. H/d, wifi, Avira,Win. Spywareblaster.Mb,SAS,CCleaner,WOT
laptop, W7 sp1 32bit, AMD 4 GB Ram, 160 HD,
Laptop, W8.1 upgraded to W10 64bit, 8GB Ram,1 terabyte HD.
Dell Latitude.. circa 1995 3 GB HD XP
Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Epic Member

Avast AV has a built in Network Security scanner.
Quote:
Use the Home Network Security feature to scan your home network for vulnerabilities. It checks wireless network status, devices connected to the network, and router settings. Routers are commonly weak points in home networks and need special attention.

To begin the scan, click the Scan network. During the scan you can close the Avast user interface or navigate to other areas of Avast settings. You can also pause the scan by clicking the Stop in the top-right corner of the Home Network Security screen.

Results appear when the scan is done. If any issues are found, follow on the screen instructions to resolve them.

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 02-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Smile-it's priceless

Thank you for the info, Everton. I used Avast for several years and wasn't aware of that feature. I've been using Avira for the past few years years but don't see anything on the free version that has that feature. I'm going to switch one of the laptops over to Avast and give it another try.

PC-W7,sp1 upgraded to W10 64bit, 8GB Ram, 1Tb. H/d, wifi, Avira,Win. Spywareblaster.Mb,SAS,CCleaner,WOT
laptop, W7 sp1 32bit, AMD 4 GB Ram, 160 HD,
Laptop, W8.1 upgraded to W10 64bit, 8GB Ram,1 terabyte HD.
Dell Latitude.. circa 1995 3 GB HD XP
Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Linux Operative

Takes a little to get use to but Wireshark is the best https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 04-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post
Takes a little to get use to but Wireshark is the best https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
A link to the program would be helpful to some.

https://www.wireshark.org/

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 04-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by possumpaw View Post
I have been using this utility for years and do like it. It picks up our various tablets, phones, laptops & pc. It also shows when my grandgirls online when they visit. My password is so long and confusing that I usually just connect them to it myself.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...k_watcher.html
Nice and simple. Thanks.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 04-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Linux Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
A link to the program would be helpful to some.

https://www.wireshark.org/
The link is there says website.....Did not think I had to post it again...............
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium