Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Linux Ask and Answer Questions

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Shellshock’ Bug Spells Trouble for Web Security

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/09/s...-web-security/

Quote:
Experts warn that attackers are exploiting a critical, newly-disclosed security vulnerability present countless networks and Web sites that rely on Unix and Linux operating systems. Experts say the flaw, dubbed “Shellshock,” is so intertwined with the modern Internet that it could prove challenging to fix, and in the short run is likely to put millions of networks and countless consumer records at risk of compromise.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 09-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Uber Member

I read this in our press the other day.
Maybe this will make the Linux 'we are never affected by viruses or malware' folks sit up and pay attention!
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Epic Member

Where do you get your info from about Linux never getting a virus?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Member being informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
Just sign in to a Linux forum, and ask them how many viruses they get (or just read what they post). Most of them will state they have never had a virus on their computer since they removed their Windows OS and installed Linux.
Passwords are WorldStart
Intel® Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz, W10 Pro. 64 Bit, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 1T internal HDD, 3T external HDD, Fire Fox v.50.0.06152
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Linux Operative

Four No-bull Facts About Shellshock Bash Bug http://www.infoworld.com/article/268...-bash-bug.html

Security is a matter of eternal vigilance and it speaks highly of the strengths of Linux that the exploit was quickly discovered and dealt with. Can you imagine what would have happened if Linux was closed sourced? Yes, this incident is bad news, Ask the question by all means, but don't infer inferior status or quality.

Linux has proved time and time again that it is less likely to get a virus because of one simple mechanic: the root user. Unless users run something as root (assuming they have the appropriate permissions) it can't ravage their filesystem like it can on Windows. Also, because of the clear filesystem style, viruses are a lot easier to discover because they've got to keep their files somewhere.

Linux system's are just as susceptible to malware as windows users. Windows users get viruses by downloading and installing software they should not trust. The same thing can be done by installing a third-party .deb or .rpm that contains malware. When you install such a package it has full access to your computer(you install as root normally) and can theoretically do whatever it wants.

Any OS that is in existence: past, present, or future is only as secure as the user that is using it , and I find it is the Only real truth about OS Security regardless of platform.........
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong # View Post
Just sign in to a Linux forum, and ask them how many viruses they get (or just read what they post). Most of them will state they have never had a virus on their computer since they removed their Windows OS and installed Linux.
That isn't what I asked. Read my question again.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
I am going by information I have seen both here and in other forums when Linux in all its' forms is touted as being the answer to most ills.
All I am saying that a lot of people I have spoken to who use Linux are labouring under the mistaken belief that Linux is virus free.
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Member being informed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong # View Post
Quote:
That isn't what I asked. Read my question again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
I am going by information I have seen both here and in other forums when Linux in all its' forms is touted as being the answer to most ills.
All I am saying that a lot of people I have spoken to who use Linux are labouring under the mistaken belief that Linux is virus free.
That is what I said...
Passwords are WorldStart
Intel® Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz, W10 Pro. 64 Bit, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 1T internal HDD, 3T external HDD, Fire Fox v.50.0.06152
Old 09-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
I cannot find anywhere on this thread where anyone who has posted in it has stated this. Both BigBarney and Wrong# have said essentially the same thing, which was to emphasize the mistaken belief held by many Linux users, and Mac users too for that matter.

FOSTERHACKETT, one of the Linux experts here also did NOT say that Linux can never get a virus, the bolded text is my doing;
Quote:
Linux has proved time and time again that it is less likely to get a virus... Linux system's are just as susceptible to malware as windows users...
Any OS that is in existence: past, present, or future is only as secure as the user that is using it , and I find it is the Only real truth about OS Security regardless of platform.........

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 10-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Linux Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
I cannot find anywhere on this thread where anyone who has posted in it has stated this. Both BigBarney and Wrong# have said essentially the same thing, which was to emphasize the mistaken belief held by many Linux users, and Mac users too for that matter.

FOSTERHACKETT, one of the Linux experts here also did NOT say that Linux can never get a virus, the bolded text is my doing;
Well I never considered myself an expert
Thanks for the recognition....
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post

That was after my question. Not before it.