Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Old 08-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Forum Moderator

The tone the message board has taken, let's all be thoughtful and kind

Over the last few months I have received quite a few complaints about the negative tone the board seems to have taken.

I understand we have many different members and many different personality types. But we all need to try to be polite, kind and helpful and remember the wise old saying that if you donít have anything nice to say donít say anything at all.

When a person asks a question they may not always be clear or give the details needed for others to offer help. I donít believe this is intentional and many times a response is posted that takes a negative tone.

I understand that if a poster is not clear we cannot offer a helpful suggestion until more details are given but there is a kind, respectful way to ask for that information and if the response is not what you think it should be you are free to express yourself, but be polite when doing so or just leave the post and do not respond.

Members should not be afraid to post in fear that they will be belittled, ridiculed or attacked. I have come up with a few general guidelines that I believe everyone can follow.
    • Show respect for all fellow members.
    • Be thoughtful before posting a response and choose your words carefully.
    • No name calling, belittling, attacking, etc.
    • If you cannot offer a useful response or feel that you cannot use kind words when responding donít respond at all.
    • Understand that all people are unique. Some members are very comfortable with technology and have a very good understanding of how it works, some members donít. That is why the board is here, to offer help to everyone regardless of their technological skill level.
    • Any racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations will not be tolerated.
    • Do not post anything that could offend another member. Do not post anything that is offensive or inflammatory.
    • Letís all just be kind and thoughtful when posting.
I am sure there are many more suggestions I could add to the list but I believe this is a good start.

Thank you, Sunny

Last edited by Sunny; 08-27-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 AM
60 years on 2 wheels.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I am sure there are many more suggestions I could add to the list but I believe this is a good start.

Thank you, Sunny
Good post. Ace.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Lost One

Yes good post. But I'm sure someone will take offense.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Forum Moderator

Thank you both, I understand some may take offense. You cannot please everyone. But when quite a few members are having issues with just a few members something must be said. We are all equals here. The people providing support and the people asking for support. Everyone deserves to be treated with kindness and respect. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable for asking a question.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Thank you both, I understand some may take offense. You cannot please everyone. But when quite a few members are having issues with just a few members something must be said. We are all equals here. The people providing support and the people asking for support. Everyone deserves to be treated with kindness and respect. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable for asking a question.
Very true, And...one should not be made to feel uncomfortable for answering a question either.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.54.0. ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 08-30-2015, 03:29 PM
julesco

Smile The tone the message board has taken, let's all be thoughtful and kind

Quote:
Over the last few months I have received quite a few complaints about the negative tone the board seems to have taken.

I understand we have many different members and many different personality types. But we all need to try to be polite, kind and helpful and remember the wise old saying that if you donít have anything nice to say donít say anything at all.

When a person asks a question they may not always be clear or give the details needed for others to offer help. I donít believe this is intentional and many times a response is posted that takes a negative tone.

I understand that if a poster is not clear we cannot offer a helpful suggestion until more details are given but there is a kind, respectful way to ask for that information and if the response is not what you think it should be you are free to express yourself, but be polite when doing so or just leave the post and do not respond.

Members should not be afraid to post in fear that they will be belittled, ridiculed or attacked. I have come up with a few general guidelines that I believe everyone can follow.
    • If you cannot offer a useful response or feel that you cannot use kind words when responding donít respond at all.
    • Understand that all people are unique. Some members are very comfortable with technology and have a very good understanding of how it works, some members donít. That is why the board is here, to offer help to everyone regardless of their technological skill level.
    • Any racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations will not be tolerated.
    • Do not post anything that could offend another member. Do not post anything that is offensive or inflammatory.

Thank you, Sunny
Thank You Sunny, what you said is very much needed.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Learning

Thank you for mentioning this Sunny.

I for one have stopped asking questions here because I've been too afraid of being made fun of or ridiculed.

I come here quite often just to learn from everyone but I hesitate to ask a question unless I'm really, really desperate!

I've thought of asking for you ONLY if I have a problem in the future.

Thanks again for being aware of this problem.
LenovoH50-50, 64 Bit, RAM 6.0gb Windows 10Home, but using Classic Shell for Windows 8,Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Lenovo OneKeyRecovery, Cobian Backup
Old 09-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesco View Post
Thank You Sunny, what you said is very much needed.
As is what Judy said.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 09-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyup View Post
Thank you for mentioning this Sunny.

I for one have stopped asking questions here because I've been too afraid of being made fun of or ridiculed.

I come here quite often just to learn from everyone but I hesitate to ask a question unless I'm really, really desperate!

I've thought of asking for you ONLY if I have a problem in the future.

Thanks again for being aware of this problem.
You're welcome Tidyup, please don't be afraid to ask questions. This board is for everyone. I have received numerous PM from long time members saying basically the same thing you have said. It makes me sad that anyone feels that way. I am keeping a closer eye on things. Posts that get out of hand or are hurtful or insulting will be removed. Please feel free to post any questions or comments you have. If you have a problem please let me know.
Thank you for your comment and saying what you feel.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:17 PM

I am so computer illiterate that I would never venture an answer to a question!
I am the one always asking, and the responses are extremely kind and helpful.
3GB
AVIRA anti virus
MALWAREBYTES
ADBLOCK PLUs
Old 09-12-2015, 06:31 PM

Smile Peace

Quote:
Peace to all.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Rodan

WS Forum

I've used WS for many years, even though I've been away for a couple of years I've always found WS to be the greatest source for cures to my problems with the quickest replies and the least amount of obnoxious know it alls who think that they were born with the knowledge they have rather than at one point they too had to ask what was what. I love WS and the wonderful people like Sunny who freely and quickly share their vast knowledge.

JW
Old 09-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWJr View Post
I've used WS for many years, even though I've been away for a couple of years I've always found WS to be the greatest source for cures to my problems with the quickest replies and the least amount of obnoxious know it alls who think that they were born with the knowledge they have rather than at one point they too had to ask what was what. I love WS and the wonderful people like Sunny who freely and quickly share their vast knowledge.

JW
Ito have been coming here for about 18 years or more and just loved the learning experience, the help and the wonderful people. It's only been the last maybe 5-6 years that I've noticed a big difference in the reponses to people who have a problem and asked for help. I quit coming here to ask but I did pop in now and then to read , get updated and to learn. If I have a problem it will be asked to only Sunny. My goodness that girl is sooooo smart and so nice. Her name suits her to a "T".
If only all the other sarcastoc. obnoxious "know it all"s would learn a lot from her.
What I can't understand i ; that since this used to be wonderful place for all to come to WHY did the powers who be let in these "Commentators" that ruin the atmoshere and have stopped many from commenting here. I do now there are a lot that have stopped and like me, only read. Are these rude and ignorant helpers really worth it. They, them selves, don't even see their problem or understand the problem they cause, which make it all the more worse and unfixable in their cases.
Well, I've ranted enough and will go on to better things to do.

God bless the helpers who are kind and considerate here!
LenovoH50-50, 64 Bit, RAM 6.0gb Windows 10Home, but using Classic Shell for Windows 8,Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, CCleaner, Lenovo OneKeyRecovery, Cobian Backup
Old 09-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Forum Moderator

Thank you pedirn63, blueberry, JohnWJr and tidyup for your kind and thoughtful comments. I don't want anyone here to feel afraid to post and share their idea's and thoughts with others. As I said I am trying to keep a better eye on things and not let anyone feel bullied or afraid. I am always available and you can reach me by PM if there is something you would like to share that you do not want to post in the public forum.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 PM

Talking The tone the message board has taken, let's all be thoughtful and kind

Quote:
Thank you pedirn63, blueberry, JohnWJr and tidyup for your kind and thoughtful comments. I don't want anyone here to feel afraid to post and share their idea's and thoughts with others. As I said I am trying to keep a better eye on things and not let anyone feel bullied or afraid. I am always available and you can reach me by PM if there is something you would like to share that you do not want to post in the public forum.
Yes, there`s some weeding out to do. Even if i seem to act a bit dumb at times, that`s the time to be kind and considerate and exercise empathy. Peace to all.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:04 PM
PC Boot/USAF'49 Flt.4481

Quote:

Thank you, Sunny
Sunny, Thank you for the post...I have always appreciated your help and most of the other members replies to my questions over the years...
I must admit however, there were times in the past, a few had included, what I perceived to be, snarky, unnecessary and unrelated comments which eventually lead me to look for help elsewhere...But then again my weak understanding of terms or terminology could have contributed to the lack of patience of those few...
I always looked forward to your sincere helpful responses no matter how simplistic my questions or I may have been....
Thank you for all your patience and help in the past...Herb J.

. Dell OptiPlex 755
. Windows 7 Home Edition SP 1
. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz
. 2GB DDR2 RAM
. Hard Drive 160GB
. IE 11, FF 38.05
. CCleaner, MWB, SAS, SWB.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb J. View Post
Sunny, Thank you for the post...I have always appreciated your help and most of the other members replies to my questions over the years...
I must admit however, there were times in the past, a few had included, what I perceived to be, snarky, unnecessary and unrelated comments which eventually lead me to look for help elsewhere...But then again my weak understanding of terms or terminology could have contributed to the lack of patience of those few...
I always looked forward to your sincere helpful responses no matter how simplistic my questions or I may have been....
Thank you for all your patience and help in the past...Herb J.
You're welcome Herb and thank you for the feedback. Everyone should feel welcome here and there is never a reason for rude comments. We are all just here to learn. I too have seen some less than kind behavior and remarks. It is uncalled for. My feeling is that if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. We are all adults here and should behave as such.
I hope that no members here feel unwelcome or afraid to post a question and if they are subject to abusive or unkind comments they should report that to the moderators.

Last edited by Sunny; 02-01-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Epic Member

Thanks Sunny for the post

2.HP WIN 10 HOME PREM 32 BIT, 6 GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive
"Same programs as computer 1 above"
Old 02-02-2016, 03:00 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypc1 View Post
Thanks Sunny for the post
You're welcome Jerry.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:55 AM

Thanks, Sunny, for the Post. You, Judy and others have sure been nice to me and very helpful over the years.