Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Old Timer

Cell phone v. Landline

We are considering getting rid of our telephone landline and using just a cellphone. We do not get many phone calls and we do not make many calls either. We have an older cellphone which up to now we have just used for emergency purposes. We will be upgrading and buying an I phone pretty soon.
We just wondered what members think about this idea. Any suggestions would be much appreciated especially from those who have already taken this step.
Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Uber Member

Whatever you do it might be wise to get to know your iphone first.
Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free
Old 09-03-2015, 03:16 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
We are considering getting rid of our telephone landline and using just a cellphone. We do not get many phone calls and we do not make many calls either. We have an older cellphone which up to now we have just used for emergency purposes. We will be upgrading and buying an I phone pretty soon.
We just wondered what members think about this idea. Any suggestions would be much appreciated especially from those who have already taken this step.
Thanks
Do you not need your landline to connect to the internet?
A thing that would worry me would be the fact that if there is an emergency situation at your home and you need to call the emergency services and your cellphone either needs charged or you can't get a signal.

Safer to still have a landline even if you rarely use it.
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 09-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
Do you not need your landline to connect to the internet?
A thing that would worry me would be the fact that if there is an emergency situation at your home and you need to call the emergency services and your cellphone either needs charged or you can't get a signal.

Safer to still have a landline even if you rarely use it.
I have the same concerns as BigBarney.

I know a lot of people have done away with their landlines in favor of the cellphones but cellphones are not "fool proof" either. My daughter's neighborhood is in a "cellphone deadzone" and nobody, no matter what the carrier, can use their cellphones in the neighborhood because of no signals. All of the cellphone carriers DO tell that to their potential customers too because she wanted to do away with the land line in favor of the cell and checked with multiple carriers and received that same answer. She lives in a large city by the way, not some little town in a rural area.

In my state last spring there were several tornadoes that took down cell towers so people in those areas had no cell service until the towers were put back up. People who had no land lines there had no phone connections of any kind. Our landlines here are underground so we never lose those if there is a storm like that but cell service can be lost in a particular area if the towers go down.

Investigate the cost saving for sure too. It might not be as much as you think.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Old Timer

Strange, I made a post here this am and now I see there is nothing. I must have done something wrong. Anyways, thank you all for your responses I do appreciate them. No Barney; we are on cable with both telephone and internet but they are both separate entities. Yes I have considered the emergency situations that could arise if the cellphone would not work for any reason. However,right now our landline phone has quit working and the technician should be over tomorrow to see what is wrong. We also do get some outages when power poles are downed by traffic accidents and bad weather so the same problem arises with either telephone system.It just seems a waste of money to have two systems especially when the telephone is used so rarely. I would be interested in hearing the experiences of people who have gone to cell phone us only.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Epic Member

Dial 911 on your land line and they know exactly where you are. You don't need to tell them nothing.

Dial 911 on you cell and you need to tell them where you are.

Reason I am saying this is suppose you dial 911 and pass out. With the land line, they will be able to send somebody right away. With a cell phone, it would take a lot longer for them to trace where the call was coming from thru cell towers.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Old Timer

That is a good point Funtimes. That is the sort of information I am looking for when considering getting rid of the landline. Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Almost Really Old Member

This question was investigated several years back for Consumer Reports, 2011 to be exact, so four years ago.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...hone/index.htm
At that time their findings agreed with what Funtimes noted;

Quote:
with landline and VoIP 911, operators were significantly more likely to find callers by determining the location of the phone. More than one-third of landline and VoIP users were located in that manner compared with only 7 percent of cell callers. Landline and VoIP 911 give the operator your home address, including an apartment number if it appears on your phone bill. With cellular, operators see only geographic coordinates.

With all phone technologies, the operator asked respondents for their location at the start of the call in at least three of every four calls, perhaps if only to verify the address on the screen on landline and VoIP calls. But if you can't speak—if you're incapacitated or distraught, for example—it's clearly a huge advantage if your address automatically shows up on the operator's screen.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 AM

I have a cell phone ... I plan to keep my landline ..... that's just me....just my 2 cents worth...

D
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Uber Member

We decided to go with Vonage, which is an over the Internet phone service, we also have cell phones. The decision to change was because of continually higher costs on the land line and the cell service was part of our daughters service, so they don't charge us for it. But I have to pay a small fee for 911 service for the Vonage. But in the long run we have not had a land-line service for many years and both by daughters families had not had a land-line for longer than that. I believe it is where you may be located. If you are in or near a big city, your cell service will suffice, but in a more rural area, it would be best to keep your land-line.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Old Timer

Some really pertinent info and we thank you all for your comments. I think we will hang on to the landline for a while and if we find we don't need it after a few months then we will go with just the cell phone.
Thank you all again
Old 12-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Some really pertinent info and we thank you all for your comments. I think we will hang on to the landline for a while and if we find we don't need it after a few months then we will go with just the cell phone.
Thank you all again
Lester, this "Ask Bob Rankin"article "Are Landlines Doomed To Extinction?" happened to arrive today and thought you might find interest if you are still in self debate about landline, cellular or VOIP telephone services... Mobile phone for our UK friends instead of Cellular phone..
http://askbobrankin.com/are_landline...J7eMo_M4DeP6SL

Wife and I are in the "over 65+" group of 15% who only have cellular, and have been for the last 6 years.
Hope you and all have a great New Year in 2016....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.1 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 03-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Epic Member

Late to the party as usual,lol....we gave up our home landline last year as it became a nightmare from solicitors....we both have cells but with different companies...we have had no problems at all....hubby is retired and I still work part time....it is really nice to not have to answer that dang house phone,lol....most all our friends were calling or texting my cell anyway....don't regret it at all and I am in a very small town...granted no 911 issues have arisen.
CW Shredder
Windows Firewall
Windows7 HP 64bit
Crapcleaner
Malwarebytes
emachine ET1831
Monitor...HPvp17

Last edited by tuffytyson; 03-24-2016 at 04:47 PM.