Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Major Member

Smile Samsung Galaxy Tablet s 8.4 help please

I downloaded & Avira Anti Virus Security and scanned. Everything said OK
I downloaded & installed Malwarebites Anti Malware. Scan said device has issues. Directed me to Development mode turn off. Took me to General & under Security / device administrators only found a check in Android Device manager (says allow android manager to lock or erase a lost device) I took the check out (is this right or wrong?) But anyway I still get the same message that the device has issues.

The only listings here are Cisco WebEX Meetings ?? / Android Deice Manager / & Avira. All are not checked.

Should I just uninstall Malwarebites? Do I really need it? I don't want to use any space I don't need too. Thanks Char
Old 11-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char374 View Post
I downloaded & Avira Anti Virus Security and scanned. Everything said OK
I downloaded & installed Malwarebites Anti Malware. Scan said device has issues. Directed me to Development mode turn off. Took me to General & under Security / device administrators only found a check in Android Device manager (says allow android manager to lock or erase a lost device) I took the check out (is this right or wrong?) But anyway I still get the same message that the device has issues.

The only listings here are Cisco WebEX Meetings ?? / Android Deice Manager / & Avira. All are not checked.

Should I just uninstall Malwarebites? Do I really need it? I don't want to use any space I don't need too. Thanks Char
Hi Char, you can read more about Development Mode here.

http://www.androidcentral.com/all-ab...eloper-options

Most users do not need to have that setting enabled but it is not a problem. As I said in my previous post I find no need to install Malwarebytes on my mobile devices. If there is a problem in the future and you need to run a scan you can install it. I just run anti-virus software. Nothing more.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Major Member

Thanks Shelly. I removed Malwarebites and hope I'll never need it. I'm sure I will be back to this thread as I try and do more things with this tablet. Char
Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Took me to General & under Security / device administrators only found a check in Android Device manager (says allow android manager to lock or erase a lost device) I took the check out (is this right or wrong?) ?..........

Thanks Char
Char, if you misplace the tablet or it is stolen, you can use the free locator program of "Android Device Manager" to find your tablets location... Or if stolen, for your protection you can remotely "wipe" or "lock" the tablet so your info on it can't be used by the crook. Leaving that item checked allows you to find your misplaced tablet if needed. You can do a search for "Android Device Manager" when you have time and learn how neat that feature is. I lost an android phone several years ago, a short time before Google came out with that feature. I would have loved to had it available to me while vacationing on Maui, Hawaii so I could have had my phone for that month... Then again, it was nice not to have to answer calls for the month,,,LOL.

Just a security and safety suggestion for you to enjoy your tablet. You could use a computer to find the missing tablet... Great feature even for finding which room you left it in at home by making it ring so you could hear and locate it. Here's the link for it at Google Play store so you can read about the feature...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.adm&hl=en

But, have fun with the tablet. I'm on an iPad, traveling, while typing this response. You're going to like taking the tablet with you while away from home so you can connect to Wifi and stay in touch with the world and family. ..
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.1 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 11-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Shelly. I removed Malwarebites and hope I'll never need it. I'm sure I will be back to this thread as I try and do more things with this tablet. Char
You're welcome Char, also check your backup setting. Be sure your tablet is being backed up, normally to Google but there are other choices. Backing up is extremely important on all devices and computers. See the link below for more on backing up.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1059963
Old 11-22-2015, 03:13 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
Char, if you misplace the tablet or it is stolen, you can use the free locator program of "Android Device Manager" to find your tablets location... Or if stolen, for your protection you can remotely "wipe" or "lock" the tablet so your info on it can't be used by the crook. Leaving that item checked allows you to find your misplaced tablet if needed. You can do a search for "Android Device Manager" when you have time and learn how neat that feature is. I lost an android phone several years ago, a short time before Google came out with that feature. I would have loved to had it available to me while vacationing on Maui, Hawaii so I could have had my phone for that month... Then again, it was nice not to have to answer calls for the month,,,LOL.

Just a security and safety suggestion for you to enjoy your tablet. You could use a computer to find the missing tablet... Great feature even for finding which room you left it in at home by making it ring so you could hear and locate it. Here's the link for it at Google Play store so you can read about the feature...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.adm&hl=en

But, have fun with the tablet. I'm on an iPad, traveling, while typing this response. You're going to like taking the tablet with you while away from home so you can connect to Wifi and stay in touch with the world and family. ..
Excellent advice BigToe, with so many computers and devices being mobile now security against theft is key. I have used the track your phone feature before to find my son's iPhone several times.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Excellent advice BigToe, with so many computers and devices being mobile now security against theft is key. I have used the track your phone feature before to find my son's iPhone several times.
Thanks, Sunny. I have switched to iPhone and iPad from an Android phone and a Nexus 7 android tablet. The " find my iPhone" feature was one of the first features I activated on both. Fortunately, I have only needed to practice test locating both but a great feeling for the security the feature provides. I use the "Android Device Manager " to test ring/find my wife's Nexus 7. Don't want to experience the "pit in my stomach " feeling of 2 1/2 years ago again should a device be misplaced...

And installing items from backup sources made transition to new devices a very pleasant experience... Your "always backup " advice is worth its weight in gold for sure...
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 53.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.1 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 11-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
Thanks, Sunny. I have switched to iPhone and iPad from an Android phone and a Nexus 7 android tablet. The " find my iPhone" feature was one of the first features I activated on both. Fortunately, I have only needed to practice test locating both but a great feeling for the security the feature provides. I use the "Android Device Manager " to test ring/find my wife's Nexus 7. Don't want to experience the "pit in my stomach " feeling of 2 1/2 years ago again should a device be misplaced...

And installing items from backup sources made transition to new devices a very pleasant experience... Your "always backup " advice is worth its weight in gold for sure...
Yes, backing up is key. So many people do not realize this until it is too late.
My son is notorious for loosing everything, phones, wallet, etc. I bought him a chain for his wallet that attaches to his pants and I have find my phone enabled. It has saved him many times. He is completely the opposite of me. I know where everything I own is at all times. OCD pays off sometimes.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Major Member

Thanks Sunny & Big Toe Will be checking out your suggestions and I'm sure coming up with more in the near future. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks Char
Old 11-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Sunny & Big Toe Will be checking out your suggestions and I'm sure coming up with more in the near future. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks Char
You're welcome Char, Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Thanks Char, you're quite welcome.... wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving as well. Great day to sit down, relax, and enjoy playing with your new tablet....