Old 11-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Major Member

Smile Cell Phone Info Please

To start off, I know almost nothing about them. My daughter has been good enough for the last couple of years to provide us with one in case of an emergency. I'm afraid she may not be able to do that soon, so I am in the position of asking for help on best way to go.

What are unlocked cell phones? Can you get any phone and use it say for a pay as you go (pay for min) and not have a contract? or going with a contract whichever is the best way to go. Can someone please explain to me the least expensive way to go and yet have communications to have with us should we need it. The verison phone we have has a camera, but for the couple of times I've used it I guess it isn't essential. Is a smart phone (don't know anything about them other they they do about everything I hear) something to look for? (Husband says just something that I only have to dial the number like the old days)

Right now I get my internet through my AT&T home phone, or might even get rid of that if I can find a less expensive way for phone & internet. Every time I turn around it's going up, but our income isn't.

So with this information would someone give me advice keeping in mind cost and monthly expenses. Really appreciate any help and even sites that can give me some helpful info. Thanks Char
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Happy Retiree

Take a look at this page from Consumer Reports for answers to your many questions.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s-services.htm
Has answers to inexpensive ways to go, types of phones, pricing on plans and service providers. ..

Network to go with is one that has good cellular coverage where you live as no use getting someone like Tmobile if their coverage is weak or non existent in your area but Verizon or ATT has strong signal coverage. Often plans offered via Walmart are most recommended as best values and a visit to electronics department at the store gets a ton of questions answered and explained. And everybody offers pay as you go, no contract plans, which may or may not be your best option.

Unlocked means phone is not restricted to just one network or provider, and getting SIM card for a specific network is all that is needed to use the phone on a specific network. So much depends on what you want to use the phone for, such as just emergency calls or a replacement for home landline and how much talking you will do. Smart phone and right plan lets you do talk, text and Internet or you might only need a simple flip phone for talking.. The counter person at Walmart or Target or Staples can answer questions and show different types and prices on phones and what is free or low cost, all while you are not committed to buy. Some provider plans have free phones, likely older styles, but possibly just fine for you; all depends on what your needs and desires are.
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 54.0.1, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock
Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Major Member

Thanks Big Toe, will check this out. Sorry didn't reply sooner although I did take a quick look the other day. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again. Char
Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char374 View Post
Thanks Big Toe, will check this out. Sorry didn't reply sooner although I did take a quick look the other day. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again. Char
You're welcome, Char. So many different choices these days, it can sometimes become a bit overwhelming. But doing some reading and research on the web helps prepare you mentally for a change or addition to a landline. And stopping by one of the cell phone counters at places like Walmart, Target, Costco or Sams Club if you are a member of either, will give you a chance to see a variety of phones in person and find out how they fit and feel in your hand and sound - for the physical part. And since those places offer a variety of phone plans from an assortment of providers gives you a chance to see a variety of plans/prices so you can see the one that would be a best fit for you; all done at your leisure and not any need to make a rush decision.

Thanks, will be helping out several families experiencing devastating issues at this time of year and so Thankful to be able to do so - a true Thanksgiving day (and period) for us. Have a blessed and enjoyable Happy Thanksgiving as well....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 54.0.1, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.3.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock