Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 AM

why does linux look so blah?

i was thinkig of trying linux again, have in the past and dint care for it.... one reason is the plain look of everything.... why so plain? looks like theyd fancy up how linux looks. not very appealing.
superantispyware,spywareblaster,
malwarebytes,aomei partition assistant,
aomei backupper,ccleaner, and avast.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfredrico View Post
i was thinkig of trying linux again, have in the past and dint care for it.... one reason is the plain look of everything.... why so plain? looks like theyd fancy up how linux looks. not very appealing.
You make no sense at all. This is a post you just did also.
http://forum.worldstart.com/showpost...44&postcount=9
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
You make no sense at all. This is a post you just did also.
http://forum.worldstart.com/showpost...44&postcount=9

YOU are telling ME i make no sense at all? thats a huge laugh.... have you ever heard of retrying something to see why others seem to think its better?
they like linux for a reason, i simply was considering experimentation to see why. if you cant post on my threads without making some kind of snide remark, will you at least have the decency to stay off of them? while you may be more computer literate than i am, your attitude toward myself as well as others sucks.

EDIT...... just to add, this is a forum where people have questions and are looking for answers, not some off the wall opinion about something someone has said just because it doesnt suit your mind...
if you have an intelligent answer to a question, by all means reply..... but there is absolutely no need to ridicule anyone as to why they ask certain things or anything!..... look up the meaning of computer forum and the way you should reply to others, it will help you possibly in your comments.

Last edited by sirfredrico; 04-10-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
YOU are telling ME i make no sense at all? thats a huge laugh.... have you ever heard of retrying something to see why others seem to think its better?
they like linux for a reason, i simply was considering experimentation to see why. if you cant post on my threads without making some kind of snide remark, will you at least have the decency to stay off of them? while you may be more computer literate than i am, your attitude toward myself as well as others sucks.

EDIT...... just to add, this is a forum where people have questions and are looking for answers, not some off the wall opinion about something someone has said just because it doesnt suit your mind...
if you have an intelligent answer to a question, by all means reply..... but there is absolutely no need to ridicule anyone as to why they ask certain things or anything!..... look up the meaning of computer forum and the way you should reply to others, it will help you possibly in your comments.
And there are no actual answers to this particular "question", which is a complaint about Linux, not about a problem. All you can possibly get are "off the wall" opinions.

Paul D

Intel i5 @ 3.5GHz, 120gb SSD, 2xHDs (3GB total), 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, 2x24" Samsung monitors
Old 04-10-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
And there are no actual answers to this particular "question", which is a complaint about Linux, not about a problem. All you can possibly get are "off the wall" opinions.
maybe i should have phrased the question, is there any way to change the look of linux to make it more colorful. like with windows, people will give you all kind of suggestions to make it appear more to your liking.....so, what youre saying is that with linux there is not? my statement should be sufficent for people to make suggestions on how to make it more colorful if it were possible i would think. in other words, if i came on the forum and said the colors in windows are plain, i would get many suggestions on how to change the appearance. why do people take a different view with linux and not apply the same thought processes to it as they would windows?
by the way, i am not comparing linux to windows, lol..... just the way a question is asked and answered.

those off the wall comments you say is what i should expect, would be totally different if i was reffering to windows.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Linux Operative

The one BIG advantage to Linux are the themes available https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...q=linux+themes
They just blast the looks of windows like out the window he! he!
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 04-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post
The one BIG advantage to Linux are the themes available https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...q=linux+themes

ok, thanks.... now THIS was the kind of reply i was looking for, not a negative response!

gotta say,they look pretty awesome.

Last edited by sirfredrico; 04-12-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post

im trying linux now, i really see no need to switch. i know windows pretty well, and have it all set up like i want it. i suppose this would be a good system to learn if you wasnt already familiar with windows. it would take quite a bit of time though to learn this system from the ground up, and thats where i am, on the ground. one thing i especially dont like about it though, is to even set the time it asks you to choose a place in the country clostet to you. no matter where you choose, the time is incorrect.with windows, you go there set the time, and youre done. thats just one thing, that is a huge discouragement from wanting to go with linux, as if one simple thing like the time is so difficult, it makes you feel that most everything else will be.... so as i see it now, i just wasted a DVD burning the image. lol

but to sum it all up, i honestly dont see where its *better* but more power to you and all linux users.

also, i just wanted to try it again to give it a fair shake... turns out....... i did.

Last edited by sirfredrico; 04-12-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
im trying linux now, i really see no need to switch. i know windows pretty well, and have it all set up like i want it. i suppose this would be a good system to learn if you wasnt already familiar with windows. it would take quite a bit of time though to learn this system from the ground up, and thats where i am, on the ground. one thing i especially dont like about it though, is to even set the time it asks you to choose a place in the country clostet to you. no matter where you choose, the time is incorrect.with windows, you go there set the time, and youre done. thats just one thing, that is a huge discouragement from wanting to go with linux, as if one simple thing like the time is so difficult, it makes you feel that most everything else will be.... so as i see it now, i just wasted a DVD burning the image. lol

but to sum it all up, i honestly dont see where its *better* but more power to you and all linux users.

also, i just wanted to try it again to give it a fair shake... turns out....... i did.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-s...ommand-prompt/
Old 04-13-2016, 01:40 PM

@sirfredico
Looks to me that your Linux evaluation was pretty short. I'm not a big time Linux user but have never had a time problem. I set it on install and it's been correct ever since. Whenever I have had a problem/question with my Linux computer it's been real easy to find a solution. Linux is just another operating system, it has good features and bad features just like every other operating the has ever existed.

@funtimes
That link will scare the hell out of anyone thinking they want to try out Linux, however it is a great example of the detailed answers available to people seeking help

Last edited by budgallxp; 04-13-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spell correction
Old 04-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgallxp View Post
@sirfredico
Looks to me that your Linux evaluation was pretty short. I'm not a big time Linux user but have never had a time problem. I set it on install and it's been correct ever since. Whenever I have had a problem/question with my Linux computer it's been real easy to find a solution. Linux is just another operating system, it has good features and bad features just like every other operating the has ever existed.

@funtimes
That link will scare the hell out of anyone thinking they want to try out Linux, however it is a great example of the detailed answers available to people seeking help
Well he can't figure out the correct time and the link shows how to do it. I am not sure if that works for all versions or not. Don't know what he is using as he doesn't say.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
why would i want to waste my time going through all that when i can set it simple in windows. lol kinda reminds me of the phrase....

some PEOPLE have NOTHING better to do!.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
@sirfredico

@funtimes
hey budgal..... it was long enough.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Well he can't figure out the correct time and the link shows how to do it. I am not sure if that works for all versions or not. Don't know what he is using as he doesn't say.

i was using linux mint.i think it was version 17, not sure. cinnamon. when it first came on the screen the time was about 7 hrs. off. im not interested in setting the time with a command prompt or any other way, i am done with it. it was just a experiment to see if they made it any better than when i first tried it.thats all. i have no questions further about it, however.... i was able to save some nice backgrounds from it.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
That link will scare the hell out of anyone thinking they want to try out Linux

Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
i was using linux mint.i think it was version 17, not sure. cinnamon. when it first came on the screen the time was about 7 hrs. off. im not interested in setting the time with a command prompt or any other way, i am done with it. it was just a experiment to see if they made it any better than when i first tried it.thats all. i have no questions further about it, however.... i was able to save some nice backgrounds from it.
I bet you didn't select the correct time zone when the time zone appeared during the installation, that's an operator problem not Linux problem
Old 04-13-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I bet you didn't select the correct time zone when the time zone appeared during the installation, that's an operator problem not Linux problem

i didnt install it, i just booted to the cd and i didnt see anywhere it asked me too... maybe thats something it only does when you actually install it..when i booted from the cd, when it was loding up, it said ACPI failed or something like that... i remembered when i tried it long ago it did the same thing. that may not be the exact error, i cant remember. saw no need tolook it up because i wasnt going to install it.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:44 AM

Running it off a CD is not a good way trying Linux as it will very slow and as you have seen not configured correctly. Try an actual install and evaluate in real time. Sounds like you booted off the CD, saw the time issue and said it don't work lets bash it
Old 04-14-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Running it off a CD is not a good way trying Linux as it will very slow and as you have seen not configured correctly. Try an actual install and evaluate in real time. Sounds like you booted off the CD, saw the time issue and said it don't work lets bash it
i did.... i may do that then. make a partition for it and install, if i dont like it then, i can always delete the partition and get my space back. do you have linux? if so, do you like it?

Old 04-14-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
ok, i created a 164 gb partition. here goes nuttin. lol