Chromium
Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post
Linux Mint 18 Sarah https://www.linuxmint.com/
I do not know why anyone would buy an OS when they could have this as an OS
What are the 3 above Linux Mint?

I would venture to suggest one of the reasons anyone would buy an OS that works rather than one that requires so much input from the user is that Linux is beyond the comprehension of a lot of folk.. Clicking on the Cinnamon Edition and the MATE edition in your link and scrolling down to the user questions regarding installation it is clear the procedure is beyond the understanding of many. There is much praise for each edition in there too, but it is the already converted giving it.

Yes, I have tried it. A very early Mint, properly installed and used. I just do not have the time, inclination or knowledge to spend time fiddling with it.(I know, I know, a 7 year old could manage it, I have heard it all before) For those that do understand and enjoy being in control that is fine. The rest of us just can not be bothered.
Hey, perhaps that is the answer - We buy an OS that works rather than install a free one that we have to learn how to use.

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 11-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post
What are the 3 above Linux Mint?

I would venture to suggest one of the reasons anyone would buy an OS that works rather than one that requires so much input from the user is that Linux is beyond the comprehension of a lot of folk.. Clicking on the Cinnamon Edition and the MATE edition in your link and scrolling down to the user questions regarding installation it is clear the procedure is beyond the understanding of many. There is much praise for each edition in there too, but it is the already converted giving it.

Yes, I have tried it. A very early Mint, properly installed and used. I just do not have the time, inclination or knowledge to spend time fiddling with it.(I know, I know, a 7 year old could manage it, I have heard it all before) For those that do understand and enjoy being in control that is fine. The rest of us just can not be bothered.
Hey, perhaps that is the answer - We buy an OS that works rather than install a free one that we have to learn how to use.
I agree, I have tried many variations of Linux, including the latest Cinnamon edition and have had trouble each and every time. I have installed the latest version on a flash drive and from the start, it changes my date and time on my Windows computer and I can't find the reason for this. That's a minor complication. I have been able to download and install Google Chrome browser but that's all. I have tried to import bookmarks into Firefox but that takes forever. Downloading and installing anything else, unless you use the built in programs, is almost impossible.
I'll leave Linux to the people who enjoy playing with it, I will stick with Windows.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Old 11-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Linux Operative

Number 1. Android https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
Number 2. IOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS
Number 3. Google it
I have to agree that it is not all that easy to install an OS, you do have to download the OS and then put it on media to install it, go into the bios and set it to boot to the media (Cd, DVD or USB). During the installation it asks a couple of questions (time zone, computer name, password,etc.) there is a thought process there.
Once installed and running you would need to get the programs you want setup like E-mail, photo, video, browser,etc. there is a software manager so you need to install updates pure pain in the butt, but hey needs to be done. I can see a learning challenge and a lack of interest here but to those who are not learning challenged it can be a joy. With the newer Linux Mint there is no need to go through any difficult process to install and use the system no need to worry about drivers or hardware problems anymore.

It ceases to amaze me how people are so inclined to believe something that is entirely not true and are so easily manipulated. I have never had any issues with Linux that could not be resolved, it is just like any other OS, heck windows has problems all the time. Enough preaching ..........
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
With the newer Linux Mint there is no need to go through any difficult process to install and use the system no need to worry about drivers or hardware problems anymore.
As I stated in my previous post there are many users for whom the install does pose problems, according to the 358 responses here when Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Cinnamon Edition was released in June. On the other hand there is a great deal of praise for a fine distro also. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051

The 'thought process' you mention required to provide one's time zone, computer name and password etc is hardly challenging by anyone's standards.
I will readily admit to having a lack of interest but not to being 'learning challenged'. I can learn quite adequately, but I don't need to learn Linux because I don't need Linux. Any more than I need to learn how to speak Mandarin when I can communicate very well with the language I already know.

Every Linux user I have ever known is totally committed and totally involved and delighted to be manipulating and working on their systems. They don't mind doing full reinsalls at any time, they thrive on problem solving, configuring, and getting advice from other Linux experts.
Something I have noticed though is that there are some that are more committed to protesting against MS and all it stands for than the actual alternative they are using.

To each his/her own

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Linux Operative

Something I have noticed though is that there are some that are more committed to protesting against MS and all it stands for than the actual alternative they are using.

To each his/her own [/quote]

That statement is full of ambiguity
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 12-01-2016, 04:22 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post

To each his/her own
That statement is full of ambiguity

I disagree. The first sentence you quote is the second half of a previous statement.

My comment To each his/her own just meant what it says - each person is free to choose whatever OS they like.
I stand by what I have observed in the first sentence of mine you quoted. One does not have to look far to see it in writing - how people 'hate' MS. I do not see anyone saying they 'hate' Linux. In fact most MS Windows users resepect it for what it is, even if it is not for them.

I think I misunderstood your reason for your first post. I thought you genuinely wondered why people would pay for an OS when they can have 'Mint' free. I just answered from my own personal perspective.

In the great scheme of things what does it really matter who uses which OS. It definitely is not worth arguing about, but there is no harm in discussion and seeing things from another's point of view.

Linux, for people who want to know why their computer works

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Linux Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post

Linux, for people who want to know why their computer works
Windows is for those who don't want to know why their computer doesn't work.
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium