Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Linux Operative

What Windows 10 Knows About You

Windows 10 collects astonishing amounts of information about its users, with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to follow the trend with newly published Windows Updates. The following information is collected and transmitted to Microsoft:
Everything you type on the keyboard (effectively, Windows 10 comes with a built-in keylogger)
Wiretapping: Windows 10 can listen to your microphone and engage your webcam in background without you even knowing (no, this is not a hoax)
Logins and passwords to Web sites, social networks
Fragments of email messages, chats and text messages (including those you send and receive via crypto-messengers such as Telegram)
Your geolocation coordinates (GPS, AGPS or approximate IP-based coordinates)
Your complete Web browsing history
Your search queries
Wi-Fi access points and their passwords
List of installed applications
Information about your listening preferences including the names of music tracks you're listening
Call logs
Your calendar entries, events and meetings
Your address book
BitLocker escrow keys: if you encrypt your hard drive or eMMC memory with BitLocker, recovery keys are automatically uploaded to Microsoft OneDrive; Microsoft Privacy Policy allows the company disclosing those keys to government agencies by request
Future Windows 10 updates are rumoured to disable features if the system discovers what it considers to be 'incompatible' or 'unlicensed' software or hardware components
Can this be true?? Wow There is something we have lost PRIVACY......
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Almost Really Old Member

This post is essentially a direct copy/paste from this page

http://www.softorbits.com/windows-10-privacy-protector/

*see attached*

This is the sales page for SoftOrbits Software(a Russian company) called Privacy Protector for Windows 10 and by doing a simple search using the title of this thread I found the page.

It has been offered since October 2015 on its own site but quite prominently on sites listed on our Sticky: Please Stop Using These Websites for Downloads

CNET., Download.com, Softonic, Soft32, Tucows, SourceForge, Softomate*, Brothersoft*, Filewon.com*

If you do decide to try it please be sure to get the download directly from the developer and not from one of the not recommended sites.

It is not free, it is free to try but cost is $40 U.S.

Do I know if it is any good? No I do not. Just wanted to point out where this information came from, some of what is said is true and some is not.

If you want to read some excellent information concerning Privacy read this information from Ask Leo:

https://askleo.com/privacy-what-privacy/

https://askleo.com/windows-10-privacy-oxymoron/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Privacy Protector for Windows 10.jpg (77.1 KB, 17 views)

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up

Last edited by jholland1964; 02-21-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added AskLeo links and also attachment
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Epic Member

And people use their Cell phones every day and all of that can be found pretty easy. It is coming to a time that if you are worried about all of this, you need to get in a room and just stay there all day other than to do the essential things to stay alive.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Uber Member

Wonder if Mr Trump knows about this?
He'll build a wall to keep all your info safe!
Firefox 51.0.1, Norton Security Deluxe 22.6.0.142

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 02-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
And people use their Cell phones every day and all of that can be found pretty easy. It is coming to a time that if you are worried about all of this, you need to get in a room and just stay there all day other than to do the essential things to stay alive.
I have to say I totally agree. I bet I see once a week on FB where a friend or relative is having dinner some place or vacationing someplace or in a store. Doesn't make me personally unsafe but it does tell the entire world what THEY are doing, eating, staying, purchasing and more importantly it also tells the world that these people are NOT at home. Why bother to lock your door? Just leave the key in the open on your doorstep.
If one uses Google search, then Google knows what you are looking for and likely where you live. Bing of course does the same.
Heck, most brand new cars today DO track you, do read your gauges, engine conditions, tire pressure and they DO send the information back to the manufacture. We receive monthly reports from our cars via email.

Sunny has a thread created just two weeks ago, http://forum.worldstart.com/showthre...04#post1823804
about how Visio Smart TV's automatically tracking what consumers were watching and transmitting that data back to its servers.
Satellite TV providers, cable tv providers all "watch and know" where and what their users watch.
Some people have their houses filled with baby monitoring cameras that broadcast activity in their homes to their cell phones. Supposedly only for them and only when they were away from home. But in recent months there have been countless stories when those cameras have been hacked and used for "nefarious" reasons.

Everyone MUST learn how to set up every more securely. Don't accept the Default settings, INVESTIGATE what those are and what they do and why. Customize them to give yourself the best security choices for YOU, not just because somebody else says to do that. If you want to use the default settings, go ahead, it is your choice. These are very often less secure but that IS your Choice.

Microsoft Privacy Statement Revised February 2017

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/

But singling out Microsoft in this is totally wrong. Look at everything else you own too and Do read their Privacy Statements from Top to Bottom also, especially your cellphone and most especially social media sites like Facebook.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Epic Member

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/update

O&Oshutup will protect your privacy for no cost.

I just wondered - I am using Zemana anti keylogger. Why has it not detected MS keylogging me ? Actually it has never detected anything so far.
All this is costing me a fortune in tinfoil !

Google knows too much. I have a vacuum cleaner - quite an obscure brand. I impulse bought it and then researched with google (turned out it was a good'un) within half a day I was seeing ads on my Facebook newsfeed for that same item. Never seen any before.

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 02-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post

Google knows too much. I have a vacuum cleaner - quite an obscure brand. I impulse bought it and then researched with google (turned out it was a good'un) within half a day I was seeing ads on my Facebook newsfeed for that same item. Never seen any before.
Exactly why I stopped using google in 2008 and have never used Bing or any other search, including yahoo search.

Since then I have used
https://duckduckgo.com/ for several years.

Also have linked in my bookmarks, used and also highly recommended is https://www.startpage.com/
I just happen to prefer DuckDuckGo and it is set as my Default Search.

Neither of those track you at all. They both use the google search engine BUT they remove all your personal information from your question and submit it anonymously to google themselves. Your IP address is never recorded and no cookies are used either.
I do not use any other search except one of those two. Also both mention either other in the two search pages that do not track you in any way. Neither is critical of the other either.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-22-2017, 07:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Exactly why I stopped using google in 2008 and have never used Bing or any other search, including yahoo search.

Since then I have used
https://duckduckgo.com/ for several years.

Also have linked in my bookmarks, used and also highly recommended is https://www.startpage.com/
I just happen to prefer DuckDuckGo and it is set as my Default Search.

Neither of those track you at all. They both use the google search engine BUT they remove all your personal information from your question and submit it anonymously to google themselves. Your IP address is never recorded and no cookies are used either.
I do not use any other search except one of those two. Also both mention either other in the two search pages that do not track you in any way. Neither is critical of the other either.
Thank you Judy for the link and information on DuckDuckGo, I just now switched to it.
SpywareBlaster
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
Wonder if Mr Trump knows about this?
He'll build a wall to keep all your info safe!
Yea he knows.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantalearn View Post
Thank you Judy for the link and information on DuckDuckGo, I just now switched to it.
You're welcome. I think you will be pleased.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Linux Operative

Quote:
I have to say I totally agree. I bet I see once a week on FB where a friend or relative is having dinner some place or vacationing someplace or in a store. Doesn't make me personally unsafe but it does tell the entire world what THEY are doing, eating, staying, purchasing and more importantly it also tells the world that these people are NOT at home. Why bother to lock your door? Just leave the key in the open on your doorstep.
If one uses Google search, then Google knows what you are looking for and likely where you live. Bing of course does the same.
Heck, most brand new cars today DO track you, do read your gauges, engine conditions, tire pressure and they DO send the information back to the manufacture. We receive monthly reports from our cars via email.

Sunny has a thread created just two weeks ago, http://forum.worldstart.com/showthre...04#post1823804
about how Visio Smart TV's automatically tracking what consumers were watching and transmitting that data back to its servers.
Satellite TV providers, cable tv providers all "watch and know" where and what their users watch.
Some people have their houses filled with baby monitoring cameras that broadcast activity in their homes to their cell phones. Supposedly only for them and only when they were away from home. But in recent months there have been countless stories when those cameras have been hacked and used for "nefarious" reasons.

Everyone MUST learn how to set up every more securely. Don't accept the Default settings, INVESTIGATE what those are and what they do and why. Customize them to give yourself the best security choices for YOU, not just because somebody else says to do that. If you want to use the default settings, go ahead, it is your choice. These are very often less secure but that IS your Choice.

Microsoft Privacy Statement Revised February 2017

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/

But singling out Microsoft in this is totally wrong. Look at everything else you own too and Do read their Privacy Statements from Top to Bottom also, especially your cellphone and most especially social media sites like Facebook.
You are correct on where I got the info I did copy and paste I was looking at the give away of the day and they had this offered so I was curious and looked at the program and found there description of windows 10 collecting info on it's users and I know that Google and Cell phones yada yada yada can do the same thing.
I find it disturbing that People let this happen with no thought of the consequences of their actions.
I did find two other programs one was already mentioned
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...10_spying.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._shutup10.html

Some insight https://www.howtogeek.com/221864/dig...vacy-settings/

Oh Yah Big Barney Donald won't help it's Fake News....
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSTERHACKETT View Post
Glad you posted that link from howtogeek from 2015. That was the link for information I used when I got my Windows 10 computer last Feb. to configure my privacy settings. I didn't use a program to do it, I just went through that article and did it all manually. I prefer doing things like that manually because then I know absolutely what is turned off and what I may want to turn back on in order to use an app that may require one of those privacy settings to be turned back on.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Linux Operative

Quote:
Glad you posted that link from howtogeek from 2015. That was the link for information I used when I got my Windows 10 computer last Feb. to configure my privacy settings. I didn't use a program to do it, I just went through that article and did it all manually. I prefer doing things like that manually because then I know absolutely what is turned off and what I may want to turn back on in order to use an app that may require one of those privacy settings to be turned back on.
I don't think that MS has a nefarious use for the data, I'm more concerend that they will be incompetent in their handling of it. We read about data breaches, doxxing, hacks and just general screw ups in attempts to provide services daily. So I think people have every right to be concerned about their privacy, not because of fear of not knowing what companies plan to do with it, but rather that compaines don't know what to do with it or handle it, but will collect it anyway.
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 02-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
I don't think that MS has a nefarious use for the data, I'm more concerend that they will be incompetent in their handling of it. We read about data breaches, doxxing, hacks and just general screw ups in attempts to provide services daily. So I think people have every right to be concerned about their privacy, not because of fear of not knowing what companies plan to do with it, but rather that compaines don't know what to do with it or handle it, but will collect it anyway.
I worry more about where I have used my credit card than about the information that MS might have about my computer. Companies and banks and stores are more prone to be hacked for my hidden information.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD

There MUST be TERM LIMITS on ALL politicians.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
I worry more about where I have used my credit card than about the information that MS might have about my computer. Companies and banks and stores are more prone to be hacked for my hidden information.
I agree with both of you. Did I use the settings recommended on the How To Geek site? Yes I did but honestly not because I was concerned about MS might be gathering info. I didn't want anybody gathering info. I agree with Bill our greater risks likely come via hacks on outside companies we can't control what happens to those outside companies but using the best privacy settings on our computers can help control the hackers who have gained some of our personal info from gaining more by stopping their access to our computers.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Epic Member

My postman knows who writes me letters, who sends me parcels, who I get bills from, who services my car. He knows when I am on holiday, knows whether I work, knows what car I drive, whether I have kids at home. If I have a dog, or cats. Knows how many individuals live at my address.
My bank also knows a great deal about me, not just how poor or rich I am but my date of birth, address, marital status, how promptly I pay my bills etc
Nothing much I can do about any of that.

I can do something about what I reveal on the internet - but it has to be admitted it is not much. Loss of privacy is part of the price paid for being online.
I pay it with not too many qualms, knowing I have done as much as I possibly can to protect it, but I do not lose any sleep over any of it or my ISP knowing where on the net I have been.
You could drive yourself bonkers by being too paranoid over it.

Just to make you feel better here are 21 more things to think about

21 Scary Things Big Data Knows About You
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#206035506e7d

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Linux Operative

Well I am not going to wear a Tin Foil Hat, but I do consider giving in to be troublesome and will combat it to the end, I can and will not just give in. What I do with my computer or any other electronic device is my own business and nobody else's. Monitor me for my best experience is Balderdash......
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Well I am not going to wear a Tin Foil Hat, but I do consider giving in to be troublesome and will combat it to the end, I can and will not just give in. What I do with my computer or any other electronic device is my own business and nobody else's. Monitor me for my best experience is Balderdash......
You began this thread with very useful information which theoretically every Windows 10 user should already be aware of - not always the case.

It really is not a war. Everyone can choose how they use their computer and which OS they decide on is their choice. By downloading a Linux distro or installing a Windows OS the user is agreeing to the terms of use and it is up to the user to know what they are. Same wih Apple iOS's. It is a contract. There are means in all three to opt out of many of the 'privacy' related features.

What we do with our own electronic devices is indeed no one elses business (the mind rather boggles at that thought) but what we do with the software we install and use is inevitably the business of the creators and bound by the terms and conditions we agreed to as soon as we began using them.

What they do with the information gleaned is another matter. All we can do is the best we can to protect our online privacy.

Reading the Privacy Statements of whichever system we are using is always a good start, and often quite surprizing.

Microsoft Privacy Statement
February 2017
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement

Linux Privacy Policy
July 21, 2016
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/privacy

Apple Privacy Policy
September 12, 2016.
http://www.apple.com/nz/privacy/privacy-policy/

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Linux Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post
You began this thread with very useful information which theoretically every Windows 10 user should already be aware of - not always the case.

It really is not a war. Everyone can choose how they use their computer and which OS they decide on is their choice. By downloading a Linux distro or installing a Windows OS the user is agreeing to the terms of use and it is up to the user to know what they are. Same wih Apple iOS's. It is a contract. There are means in all three to opt out of many of the 'privacy' related features.

What we do with our own electronic devices is indeed no one elses business (the mind rather boggles at that thought) but what we do with the software we install and use is inevitably the business of the creators and bound by the terms and conditions we agreed to as soon as we began using them.

What they do with the information gleaned is another matter. All we can do is the best we can to protect our online privacy.

Reading the Privacy Statements of whichever system we are using is always a good start, and often quite surprizing.

Microsoft Privacy Statement
February 2017
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement

Linux Privacy Policy
July 21, 2016
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/privacy

Apple Privacy Policy
September 12, 2016.
http://www.apple.com/nz/privacy/privacy-policy/
This mumble jumbo has nothing to do with what was explained in the beginning:

Windows 10 collects astonishing amounts of information about its users, with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to follow the trend with newly published Windows Updates. The following information is collected and transmitted to Microsoft:
Everything you type on the keyboard (effectively, Windows 10 comes with a built-in keylogger)
Wiretapping: Windows 10 can listen to your microphone and engage your webcam in background without you even knowing (no, this is not a hoax)
Logins and passwords to Web sites, social networks
Fragments of email messages, chats and text messages (including those you send and receive via crypto-messengers such as Telegram)
Your geolocation coordinates (GPS, AGPS or approximate IP-based coordinates)
Your complete Web browsing history
Your search queries
Wi-Fi access points and their passwords
List of installed applications
Information about your listening preferences including the names of music tracks you're listening
Call logs
Your calendar entries, events and meetings
Your address book
BitLocker escrow keys: if you encrypt your hard drive or eMMC memory with BitLocker, recovery keys are automatically uploaded to Microsoft OneDrive; Microsoft Privacy Policy allows the company disclosing those keys to government agencies by request
Future Windows 10 updates are rumoured to disable features if the system discovers what it considers to be 'incompatible' or 'unlicensed' software or hardware components

If needed I can highlight
4 gigs of Ram
300 gig Hard Drive
Firefox
Chromium
Old 03-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Epic Member

You have no need to highlight on my account .. I am quite capable of reading and understanding. I SAID you provided useful information to begin this thread.
Please carry on with your chosen Linux. A wise decision on your part as you have obvious paranoia regarding MS and windows..
I will continue with my chosen OS which up until now has caused me no problems and is not the centre of my universe.
I fail to understand why you labelled my post mumble jumbo but please do not bother to explain as I have no interest in your reasons. I will leave it to others to take what they will from it and agree or disagree as they see fit.

For anyone concerned about the Windows 10 keylogging feature here is how to disable it http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...ws-10-3639643/
It is likely that most of us who wish to disable it have already done so when first checking our privacy options.

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free