Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 AM

Question error number 0x80070091

I somehow managed to get my computer all messed up and have been trying to get it back to the way it was. I tried to do a restore from February 26, and also February 20th, but get a message saying it was unsuccessful due to an error number 0x80070091. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

My computer is an all in one HP.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobagah View Post
I somehow managed to get my computer all messed up and have been trying to get it back to the way it was. I tried to do a restore from February 26, and also February 20th, but get a message saying it was unsuccessful due to an error number 0x80070091. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

My computer is an all in one HP.
That error really just means System Restore didn't work. If you get it once then you will keep getting it. The error should have given you more information than just the number. Error code 0x80070091 stands for ERROR_DIR_NOT_EMPTY (The directory isn’t empty). Obviously something is broken in folder and it should have also listed the folder.

A lot more information is needed. "Computer all messed up" tells us absolutely nothing. The actual problem should be fully described before any suggestions can even begin to be given. But I can guarantee that using System Restore would never or at least very rarely be one of those suggestions and if it were given it would only be given AFTER everything else had been tried. Personally, I don't recall ever recommending it.

System Restore does NOT truly restore your system and it it does not restore everything to the state that it was at the time the restore point was created. It restores "some" things but never everything. Plus by using it you are removing some necessary files. If you have had an update done on a program and then use system restore then you are removing those updates and they will have to be done again.
We also don't know what else you tried.

So we need a full description of the problem and every single thing you have tried.

We also need ALL of the information listed here:

Help Us Help You

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Unhappy error number 0x80070091

It looks like I have myself in a big mess because I have tried so many things that I can't remember what all I tried. I'm sorry I didn't read your information about system restore. Since it just messed up yesterday, I thought it would restore the next day and even a week later. I can't find out how to make the pictures and texts fit my screen and I can't bring my Outlook mail back like it was.I don't even know what I did that might have caused this.

The following is all I can find out about this computer; I ran the scans. They didn't find anything.

HP all in one
Windows 10
Firefox v.51.0.1
Avira Free
SpywareBlaster,
SUPERAntispyware
Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
It looks like I have myself in a big mess because I have tried so many things that I can't remember what all I tried. I'm sorry I didn't read your information about system restore. Since it just messed up yesterday, I thought it would restore the next day and even a week later. I can't find out how to make the pictures and texts fit my screen and I can't bring my Outlook mail back like it was.I don't even know what I did that might have caused this.

The following is all I can find out about this computer; I ran the scans. They didn't find anything.

HP all in one
Windows 10
Firefox v.51.0.1
Avira Free
SpywareBlaster,
SUPERAntispyware

This info is what we need about the computer, thank you . BUT you did not tell us WHY you think the computer is "messed up" and why you tried System Restore. What was the computer doing that made you believe it was "messed up"?
Without knowing what it was doing to make you want to have try so many things that you can't remember what all you tried. Did it not boot? Did programs not run? Were you not able to use specific programs? Did you have problems with your browser? Did you have problems trying to view pictures, hear sound, play games, send emails?
What? We need to know EVERYTHING that was causing you to believe you needed to fix "something".
But now we still don't know anything.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Angry 0x80070091

Everything is too big for my screen. I can't find a way to bring it back to it's right size. I've never had this problem before. I can't even find my system information on this darn thing. I hate this computer and I hate Windows 10. What I did find it wouldn't let me copy and print so I will type some of it here to see if it helps. It's a HP windows 10, Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 63220T 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable) 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor all-in-one.
Everybody is telling me to go to my computer icon but I don't have one.
I will be going back to a Dell computer and hope I have better luck with it than I'm having with this thing.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Everything is too big for my screen. I can't find a way to bring it back to it's right size. I've never had this problem before. I can't even find my system information on this darn thing. I hate this computer and I hate Windows 10. What I did find it wouldn't let me copy and print so I will type some of it here to see if it helps. It's a HP windows 10, Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 63220T 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable) 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor all-in-one.
Everybody is telling me to go to my computer icon but I don't have one.
I will be going back to a Dell computer and hope I have better luck with it than I'm having with this thing.
None of this has anything to do with the brand of the computer. HP, Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo or whatever all would have the same results because you have changed the screen resolution so that it is not correct for your particular screen size.

You had to have changed it yourself.

You need to reset this. Go to this link and follow the instructions given there:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-ch...in-windows-10/

This has easy to use pictures. This should correct your resolution if you follow the instructions correctly.

This problem is not a problem that normally would be corrected using System Restore.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Thumbs up Thank you

I'm sure this was all my fault but I still don't know how I managed to do it. I think it happened when I tried to enlarge a scanned picture. Some one told me I could probably use Paint since windows 10 no longer had a program for this type of thing. That didn't work!! Things are back to normal now, thanks once again, to you.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
I'm sure this was all my fault but I still don't know how I managed to do it. I think it happened when I tried to enlarge a scanned picture. Some one told me I could probably use Paint since windows 10 no longer had a program for this type of thing. That didn't work!! Things are back to normal now, thanks once again, to you.
Paint has always been the very basic built in picture editing program and it has come with ALL versions of Windows going back to the very first version of Windows, Windows 1.0. It has been included with all versions of Windows up to and including Windows 10. There were no other photo editing programs included with Windows, just Paint. Each new Windows version contained a newly updated of Paint also. So I am not sure what else you would have been using but it had to have been something you installed yourself.

It is very easy to accidentally change your screen resolution. I don't know anyone that has not accidentally done this at least once in their years of using computers. It is commonly happens when doing something you were trying to do. It can also easily happen when you are using a new keyboard by hitting the wrong key combination because of spacing difference of one keyboard and another.

You are blaming your problems on the make of computer which rarely is the cause of things like this. Most of the time the only real difference is the Logo stamp on the computer otherwise there is little difference. Of course physical size of computers are different, which therefore require an adjustment in how a person physically has to use them. But mechanically, no difference.

You are using Windows 10 and it does require some getting used to, but for the most part it is an excellent operating system. I have several computers, the one I use daily has Windows 10. I loved Windows XP, loved Windows 7 and I can say now that I know Windows 10, I like it just as much as I did those two.
You have to take time to learn it. Do Not Panic, which was your problem this time.

To help make things a bit easier using Windows 10 many of us have installed Classic Shell

http://classicshell.net/

Quote:
Classic Shell™ is free software that improves your productivity, enhances the usability of Windows and empowers you to use the computer the way you like it.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-28-2017, 04:42 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for all of your help

I had already installed the classic shell which helped some. Like you, I loved XP and 7 but I'm still not too happy with 10. I'm not on the computer every day since I don't work anymore, so I hopefully will get used to windows 10. I had photo shop on one of my computers but seldom used it so I don't have it anymore.
It's nice to have World Start to come to when I get confused.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:55 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
I had already installed the classic shell which helped some. Like you, I loved XP and 7 but I'm still not too happy with 10. I'm not on the computer every day since I don't work anymore, so I hopefully will get used to windows 10. I had photo shop on one of my computers but seldom used it so I don't have it anymore.
It's nice to have World Start to come to when I get confused.
Remember, when Windows 7 came out many, many people didn't like but once they got used to it they loved it.
I don't know how long you have had this computer but sounds like it isn't very long.
Give Windows 10 time, if you don't use it then you cannot learn it. I now prefer Windows 10 to Windows 7.

WorldStart as usual is the place I got much of my information about 10. Here is another place that gave me lots of information;

https://www.tenforums.com/

Don't be a stranger, there are people here 24/7 usually because this is a world wide forum. You will get help here without a doubt.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up