Old 03-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Major Member

Repeating PDF Saves

I tried to save some information from a hospital system web site and received multiple saves to my desktop. I had printed it in PDF, Google or Nitro, and it kept repeating innumerable times. By the time I had it stopped, it was recorded 64 times!
I hope this was a problem with their web site and not my computer?
I finally was able to print the information but no way to save it that I could figure out.
Has anyone seen this problem before?
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome Preferred Browser
BitDefender Free
Old 03-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahduncu View Post
I tried to save some information from a hospital system web site and received multiple saves to my desktop. I had printed it in PDF, Google or Nitro, and it kept repeating innumerable times. By the time I had it stopped, it was recorded 64 times!
I hope this was a problem with their web site and not my computer?
I finally was able to print the information but no way to save it that I could figure out.
Has anyone seen this problem before?
Can you clarify? You say you had it "printed" it do you mean on paper? If you mean on paper then that would likely be a problem with the printer.
But you seem to be using print and saving interchangeably, do you just want to save this document on your computer or do you just want to print on paper?
Why did you use two different PDF programs?

This, I presume is the health web site that requires the use of IE? The problem could be the web site as you noted. And, if they require IE it could be they require the use of Adobe.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Can you clarify? You say you had it "printed" it do you mean on paper? If you mean on paper then that would likely be a problem with the printer.
But you seem to be using print and saving interchangeably, do you just want to save this document on your computer or do you just want to print on paper?
Why did you use two different PDF programs?

This, I presume is the health web site that requires the use of IE? The problem could be the web site as you noted. And, if they require IE it could be they require the use of Adobe.
It's a different web site. I tried to save the item by clicking "print to PDF", not my printer. I did not pay attention to which PDF but I was immediately inundated with copies with a Google Chrome icon, that was the 64 copies. I was able to delete all of them and tried again by clicking "print to PDF" using my usual PDF program, Nitro 5. The same thing happened, I received a number of Google Chrome icons. If I clicked on any one of them they started multiplying!
I went to Internet Explorer and tried again but received the same multiplying Google icons.

When I said that I printed the information I meant to actually print to a piece of paper.
I hope this clarifies my problem.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free
Old 03-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Almost Really Old Member

I haven't had that problem ever, the printing multiple copies when I only want and asked for one has happened though.

Very odd that no matter what you choose you get Google Pages, heck I didn't even know they had a built in Google PDF program in the browser.

Doing some searching I found several sites that say when using Google PDF as your Default PDF program to choose Save As...then you choose the PDF option, tell it where to save. It "should" save just that one copy because Save As usually doesn't offer numerous copies as an option that would be chosen when you Print, which should then use your printer software.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Major Member

Quote:
I haven't had that problem ever, the printing multiple copies when I only want and asked for one has happened though.

Very odd that no matter what you choose you get Google Pages, heck I didn't even know they had a built in Google PDF program in the browser.

Doing some searching I found several sites that say when using Google PDF as your Default PDF program to choose Save As...then you choose the PDF option, tell it where to save. It "should" save just that one copy because Save As usually doesn't offer numerous copies as an option that would be chosen when you Print, which should then use your printer software.
Obviously there is something wrong, probably with the web site because I have used the "print with PDF" many times and it always sets up a PDF document and asks where to save it and then saves one copy to my desktop with a PDF icon. Yes Google Chrome has a built in PDF reader but I prefer to use a free standing one such as Nitro.
This problem reminds me of a movie, "Fantasia" in which Mickey Mouse has multiplying brooms.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free
Old 03-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Obviously there is something wrong, probably with the web site because I have used the "print with PDF" many times and it always sets up a PDF document and asks where to save it and then saves one copy to my desktop with a PDF icon. Yes Google Chrome has a built in PDF reader but I prefer to use a free standing one such as Nitro.
This problem reminds me of a movie, "Fantasia" in which Mickey Mouse has multiplying brooms.
Is this a private web site or something that I could visit and see if I could get something to print or save?

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Is this a private web site or something that I could visit and see if I could get something to print or save?
Unfortunately, this web site contains the results of medical tests that were performed on me. I wanted to save the reports so that I could show them to another doctor than the one who ordered them. So, no you won't be able to look at them.
I did the same thing several weeks ago, I saved reports of my wife's tests and then sent them to another doctor, without having this trouble.
I will try several experiments to see if it's my computer or the web site - I can go to another hospital's tests and see if they can be saved as a PDF. If I run into the same problem I will know that it's my computer.

It is on my computer and I don't know why it is happening. I went to another site and had the same problem. I then rebooted and the problem stopped but I still could not save it as a PDF, it becomes a Google HTML document even though I saved it as a PDF in the PDF writer and reader, Nitro 5.
Help!
If worst comes to worst, I have backed up my computer (a full image) on Saturday, maybe that will not have the problem. I also have additional backups of a few weeks ago, so I can go back.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free

Last edited by Ahduncu; 03-05-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 03-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Major Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, this web site contains the results of medical tests that were performed on me. I wanted to save the reports so that I could show them to another doctor than the one who ordered them. So, no you won't be able to look at them.
I did the same thing several weeks ago, I saved reports of my wife's tests and then sent them to another doctor, without having this trouble.
I will try several experiments to see if it's my computer or the web site - I can go to another hospital's tests and see if they can be saved as a PDF. If I run into the same problem I will know that it's my computer.

It is on my computer and I don't know why it is happening. I went to another site and had the same problem. I then rebooted and the problem stopped but I still could not save it as a PDF, it becomes a Google HTML document even though I saved it as a PDF in the PDF writer and reader, Nitro 5.
Help!
If worst comes to worst, I have backed up my computer (a full image) on Saturday, maybe that will not have the problem. I also have additional backups of a few weeks ago, so I can go back.
I think I found the culprit - somehow my default PDF reader became Google Chrome, not Nitro. I just changed it back but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free
Old 03-06-2017, 02:51 AM
Forum Moderator

Be sure when you are choosing the print to PDF option that only one copy is selected in the printer properties window before clicking the print button.
If you are using Windows 10 try using the Microsoft print to PDF printer.
Also try clearing your browser cache and uninstalling and reinstalling any PDF readers you have installed.
If you are using Google Chrome and you have Nitro installed only to view PDF documents you don't need it. Google Chrome has a built in PDF viewer.
Windows 10 has a built in PDF converter.

Last edited by Sunny; 03-06-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Major Member

Quote:

Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Be sure when you are choosing the print to PDF option that only one copy is selected in the printer properties window before clicking the print button.
If you are using Windows 10 try using the Microsoft print to PDF printer.
Also try clearing your browser cache and uninstalling and reinstalling any PDF readers you have installed.
If you are using Google Chrome and you have Nitro installed only to view PDF documents you don't need it. Google Chrome has a built in PDF viewer.
Windows 10 has a built in PDF converter.
Everything is fixed now. The problem was that somehow my default PDF reader/writer was switched to Google Chrome instead of Nitro. Since Google was only a reader not a writer, when I tried to write a PDF it went crazy, not knowing what to do. I have now corrected my default to be Nitro 5 and have had no trouble saving a document to my desktop with it (the same document I had been trying to save yesterday).
I know that Google has a built in PDF reader but I don't like it, that is why I use Nitro. I did not think of using the Microsoft print to PDF printer.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
BitDefender Free