Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Epic Member

Thank you for the explanation, Judy. I'm still not sure I understand it! I try to be vigilant, I won't even click on an e-mail link from my bank or credit card company!

And I will remember to run MalwareBytes at least once a week!

The virus/malware we were dealing with.....why didn't I get a message from BitDefender about it? I have MalwareBytes Free, so I understand they are not actively monitoring my online activity. Would the upgraded program have caught and stopped that?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
You need to do a weekly scan with Malwarebytes'.

You're welcome, happy to help. Your quick thinking, turning off the computer and booting to safe mode though stopped things from going any further.
In all likelyhood came onto the computer from the page you were viewing or at least one within a short time of that last one. These things usually do not sit long or at all on a computer unless a rootkit is involved.
This could also have come from a download. You can't "download" pages, you can save links to them but not physically download a page. You can download and save pictures of course. Scan anything your download with your BitDefender or Malwarebytes' both have the option of scanning one item.

Now about WOT. Firefox advised against it AFTER it was learned that WOT was selling personal information to third parties.

Read this thread from here back in November.

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthre...&highlight=WOT

This explains it all and gives links to other alternatives, including one called BitDefender TrafficLight.
Please, be EXACT and tell me all that you do not understand with what I said in my last post to you. I will find another way to explain it. If you don't do that then that tells my my explanations are lousy and useless and I will stop offering advice.

You need to explain something to me however, what in the world have I said will make you not click links in mail that you know with 100% accuracy are from your bank or credit card company meant for you and you alone ? If you got that from my last post then you absolutely do not understand anything I said because if you have elected to use their online option I would not have said you shouldn't do that and I don't know where you saw that in what I wrote. If you told your bank you would like to use their online options then the links they give you are related to your own account.

Bit Defender didn't notify you or stop the infection or remove the infection because anti-virus programs, ANY anti-virus programs, are not programmed to see, locate, stop or remove that type of infection. You had a trojan and technically that is not a virus, it is malware. A completely different type of infection.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Please, be EXACT and tell me all that you do not understand with what I said in my last post to you. I will find another way to explain it. If you don't do that then that tells my my explanations are lousy and useless and I will stop offering advice.

You need to explain something to me however, what in the world have I said will make you not click links in mail that you know with 100% accuracy are from your bank or credit card company meant for you and you alone ? If you got that from my last post then you absolutely do not understand anything I said because if you have elected to use their online option I would not have said you shouldn't do that and I don't know where you saw that in what I wrote. If you told your bank you would like to use their online options then the links they give you are related to your own account.

Bit Defender didn't notify you or stop the infection or remove the infection because anti-virus programs, ANY anti-virus programs, are not programmed to see, locate, stop or remove that type of infection. You had a trojan and technically that is not a virus, it is malware. A completely different type of infection.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't understand your explanations at all. It is just so over my head how these trojans and viruses "happen" is all. And I do not click e-mail links because of anything you have said, only because I am now always suspicious of phishing scams and other bad things! I have always been happy to get advice and guidance from you, and others, on this site. I was merely trying to explain my fear, for lack of a better word, of the things that can happen online.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanovice View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't understand your explanations at all. It is just so over my head how these trojans and viruses "happen" is all. And I do not click e-mail links because of anything you have said, only because I am now always suspicious of phishing scams and other bad things! I have always been happy to get advice and guidance from you, and others, on this site. I was merely trying to explain my fear, for lack of a better word, of the things that can happen online.
To expect to know how everything you use works is impossible. How and why does your car drive? Exactly what makes it work? Unless you are an auto mechanic do you really expect to know? How does your microwave oven work? Why does this box on a wall, without any "burners" cook your food? Do you expect it to cook your food even though you have no idea how it works?
Unless a person is a professional programmer it is unlikely a person can truly know how infections get on computers. I follow the information given by the professionals. Read this link, http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_differe...d_a_virus.html

You are right to be concerned about phishing BUT did you sign up to receive mail or use the online services from your bank?
Did you do the same with your credit card?

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.52.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Epic Member

Quote:

You are right to be concerned about phishing BUT did you sign up to receive mail or use the online services from your bank?
Did you do the same with your credit card?
Yes, I did sign up for those services, but I have also gotten extremely convincing e-mails from Amazon, eBay, and others that HAVE turned out to be phishing, so that is why I am cautious.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Yes, I did sign up for those services, but I have also gotten extremely convincing e-mails from Amazon, eBay, and others that HAVE turned out to be phishing, so that is why I am cautious.
I would then advise you to contact your bank by telephone or in person ask them if they are in fact sending you emails that have clickable links in them.

I am an online customer of my bank. The only emails they send me are verification emails that I have made an online payment to somebody.
There are no clickable links in those mails. They are just printed information of my transactions. IF I have a question about one of them then I must telephone the bank and speak to the online officer concerning my question.

Those are the only emails I receive from my bank. In order to take advantage of online banking and to access my account online the site requires a three stage sign in process. If I make a mistake on one of those stages then I must begin it all again. Three mistakes and my ability to access my account online is locked and I have to telephone the bank to regain access online. If I never call them then online ability remains locked.

I have two credit cards but I have never received an email from either one of them.
I did a phone call informing me from one of them that my card was possibly compromised because some odd purchases had shown up on my account and they called to verify I had made the purchases. I had not so my account was locked and 10 days later I received a new card with a new account number.

You need to contact your bank especially and ask them if they send you emails with clickable links and if they say they do tell them you want those to stop.

I've never used eBay but I have done business with Amazon for years. The only email I ever receive from Amazon is verification of a purchase and a 2nd one telling me the item has shipped. The mails always state in the subject line that this is information about the purchase of "whatever it is" Occasionally there will be a 3rd one after delivery that again states in the subject line is about that recent purchase of "whatever it is". I receive no other mail from Amazon.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
You're wise to be cautious as we all should be with every email we receive... Chances are those phishing emails were quite likely from a "SPOOFED" sender and not from a legitimate business like Amazon, eBay, or any others. Generally you can hover your curser over the top of the supposed/faked " From address " and the actual return address will display. Then, if not from the real company like amazon.com, you can mark the email as SPAM and report it or just let lt be deleted per your SPAM folder options or by you... your cautious approach displayed in this threadserved you well.... with computers, a little paranoia is always a good thing....
AT&T FIOS, 2 laptops with Win10x64, Firefox 52.0, MS Edge/IE11, Google Chrome, 4GB RAM, Windows FireWall, AdBlock+, Disconnect add-on, Bit Defender Free A-V, MBA-M v-3, SpywareBlaster; iOS 10.2 on iPad & iPhone, Crystal AdBlock