Old 03-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Uber Member

Windows App Store

I have a very useful app on my home computer called Network Speed Checker which I use to check my network speed.
When I try to install this app onto our club office computer however, I get a message saying I need an additional app to install anything from the windows store but frustratingly, there is no hint or direction on where to obtain this additional app!

Is this Microsoft being deliberately obtuse or me getting thick in my old age?
Firefox 52.0.2, Norton Security Deluxe 22.9.1.12

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 10 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon, IE 11 & cable.
I notice that the system requirements for this app are for Windows 8 or higher and 64 bit. Does your club pc meet those?

Click Here to view latest edition
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I notice that the system requirements for this app are for Windows 8 or higher and 64 bit. Does your club pc meet those?
Only a few months old with Windows 10 installed.
Maybe I need to sign into my Microsoft Account from the computer?

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 10 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Comodo Ice Dragon, IE 11 & cable.
This may be of some help:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-un...indows-8-store
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney View Post
I have a very useful app on my home computer called Network Speed Checker which I use to check my network speed.
When I try to install this app onto our club office computer however, I get a message saying I need an additional app to install anything from the windows store but frustratingly, there is no hint or direction on where to obtain this additional app!

Is this Microsoft being deliberately obtuse or me getting thick in my old age?
Can you post a screen shot of the message you are getting ?
Where are you attempting to download the app from ? Is it from within the Windows Store app ?
Is it possible the Windows Store is the actual app you are being told you need which for some reason may not be present on your office pc ?

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-F203A All In One, 8GB RAM,1TB HD
Acer Aspire 5750G,4GB RAM, 698GB HD
Windows 10 Home

MAXTHON, Edge, Chrome, Firefox
Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post
Can you post a screen shot of the message you are getting ?
Where are you attempting to download the app from ? Is it from within the Windows Store app ?
Is it possible the Windows Store is the actual app you are being told you need which for some reason may not be present on your office pc ?
The windows store app is not on the office computer, that is why I think maybe I need to log in to my Microsoft account.

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Epic Member

I thought the Windows Store app came preinstalled with windows 10 - perhaps it has been uninstalled ?
If it is not on the computer then you need to install it.

There are instructions here for how to reinstall the Window Store app on Windows 10.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...ing-windows-10

It is my understanding that signing in with a MS account is not necessary to download apps from the store unless you are purchasing paid apps. Someone else may be able to advise further on that.

Just incidentally I did a search in the Store for "Network Speed Checker" but the results showed an app called "Network Speed Test" , and another one called "Speed Checker".
It is possible that the exact one you have is no longer available.

The one I have had installed for some time is Network Speed Test. Could this be the one you have ?

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
I thought the Windows Store app came preinstalled with windows 10 - perhaps it has been uninstalled ?
If it is not on the computer then you need to install it.

There are instructions here for how to reinstall the Window Store app on Windows 10.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...ing-windows-10

It is my understanding that signing in with a MS account is not necessary to download apps from the store unless you are purchasing paid apps. Someone else may be able to advise further on that.

Just incidentally I did a search in the Store for "Network Speed Checker" but the results showed an app called "Network Speed Test" , and another one called "Speed Checker".
It is possible that the exact one you have is no longer available.

The one I have had installed for some time is Network Speed Test. Could this be the one you have ?
You are quite correct.....the app is called 'Network Speed Test'
I can access the store with no problem on my home computer which is an upgrade from Windows 8.1.
The office computer was bought brand new with Windows 10 preinstalled.
Not a big deal but frustrating!

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
You are quite correct.....the app is called 'Network Speed Test'
I can access the store with no problem on my home computer which is an upgrade from Windows 8.1.
The office computer was bought brand new with Windows 10 preinstalled.
Not a big deal but frustrating!
Not that I can possibly know for sure, but is it possible that the Windows Store App was/is not included on the new computers purchased specifically for an office? The are certainly many free apps available via the Windows Store App but there are many, many that are not free, some in fact are quite "pricey" and can cost, with tax, over $100 U.S.D. Plus many things available via the Windows Store are not "office related" games (many of course are Free some are not), TV Shows, Movies, etc. Easier in an office setting to just not include that Windows Store App rather than have to deal with having to police what is being downloaded.
Whether this is the case with your office Barney, of course I don't know, just thought I would throw it out there.

As far as the Speed Tests, here in the U.S. there are many offered online, Free of course, I would think its the same in Scotland.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Not that I can possibly know for sure, but is it possible that the Windows Store App was/is not included on the new computers purchased specifically for an office? The are certainly many free apps available via the Windows Store App but there are many, many that are not free, some in fact are quite "pricey" and can cost, with tax, over $100 U.S.D. Plus many things available via the Windows Store are not "office related" games (many of course are Free some are not), TV Shows, Movies, etc. Easier in an office setting to just not include that Windows Store App rather than have to deal with having to police what is being downloaded.
Whether this is the case with your office Barney, of course I don't know, just thought I would throw it out there.

As far as the Speed Tests, here in the U.S. there are many offered online, Free of course, I would think its the same in Scotland.
The computer was not bought specifically as an office computer but it was rather cheap.
Not having access to the store is not a big deal and I do use another speed checker which works fine, so let's consider the matter closed.
Thanks for everybody's suggestions.😀

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Not having access to the store is not a big deal and I do use another speed checker which works fine, so let's consider the matter closed.
Thanks for everybody's suggestions.😀

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Epic Member

Maybe one day you will install the Store.

For anyone interested in the Network Speed Test - I agree with Big Barney as to it being useful and it really is an excellent little app.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/stor...t/9wzdncrfhx52

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Maybe one day you will install the Store.

For anyone interested in the Network Speed Test - I agree with Big Barney as to it being useful and it really is an excellent little app.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/stor...t/9wzdncrfhx52
I had a surprising result when trying above link using Opera. I received attached message telling Opera couldn't open the link because there was no application on my computer that was associated with ms windows-store protocol was on my computer.
Well of course there IS, I've used it many times. I tried with all other browsers, except Edge because I don't like it and don't use it. I had no trouble at all getting the link to work. My default browser is Firefox, IE is not, Vivaldi is not, Opera is not but Opera is the only one that gave me that message. Why? I have no idea.

The reason I am bringing this up is I wondered which browser you use Barney, AND, did you look on your computer to see if the Windows Store is installed. I have two attachments showing that it is installed on my computer, one with the Windows Start Menu and the other with the Classic Shell Start menu. If people use that then it will be found under All Programs, Apps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inability to access Windows Store.JPG (19.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Windows Store.jpg (43.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Store Classic Shell Menu.jpg (37.6 KB, 18 views)

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
I had a surprising result when trying above link using Opera. I received attached message telling Opera couldn't open the link because there was no application on my computer that was associated with ms windows-store protocol was on my computer.
Well of course there IS, I've used it many times. I tried with all other browsers, except Edge because I don't like it and don't use it. I had no trouble at all getting the link to work. My default browser is Firefox, IE is not, Vivaldi is not, Opera is not but Opera is the only one that gave me that message. Why? I have no idea.

The reason I am bringing this up is I wondered which browser you use Barney, AND, did you look on your computer to see if the Windows Store is installed. I have two attachments showing that it is installed on my computer, one with the Windows Start Menu and the other with the Classic Shell Start menu. If people use that then it will be found under All Programs, Apps.
The default browser on the office computer is Firefox, although it opens quite slowly as I have mentioned in another thread.
I have looked in both the Windows Start menu and the Classic Shell Start Menu and the Windows Store does not appear in either.
I remember when I upgraded my home computer from 8.1 to 10, that I had to go through some steps to install the Windows Store but for the life of me, I can't remember what those steps were.

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Don't know if this suggestion will work but it is worth a try;

https://www.technorms.com/46549/find...-in-windows-10

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Epic Member

The message "You'll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store" is discussed here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-288753e22c72

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Uber Member

I tried both the reset and troubleshooter suggestions and I get another message saying that the Windows Store Cache may be damaged and it is not fixed.

What now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Store.jpg (56.2 KB, 17 views)

GLASGOW,
SCOTLAND
Old 03-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
I tried both the reset and troubleshooter suggestions and I get another message saying that the Windows Store Cache may be damaged and it is not fixed.

What now?
Run a Command Prompt as administrator and type in
WSReset.exe
and hit Enter
The Store should then open with confirmation that the cache is cleared and reset
Full details here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-windows-store-cache

When I open the link to the app in Firefox there is no download button. There is a Sign In at the top but it does not work. (see attachment)
Using Maxthon I get the download button (Get The App) but faded out and it tells me "This app does not work on your device." Well, sorry but it does !

You might try the link in Edge - for me that bypasses the browser page and goes straight to the store.
Paste & Go in Chrome also takes me straight to the Store from where I can Launch the app as I already have it installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (78.3 KB, 17 views)

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free
Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
When I open the link to the app in Firefox there is no download button. There is a Sign In at the top but it does not work. (see attachment)
Using Maxthon I get the download button (Get The App) but faded out and it tells me "This app does not work on your device." Well, sorry but it does !

You might try the link in Edge - for me that bypasses the browser page and goes straight to the store.
Paste & Go in Chrome also takes me straight to the Store from where I can Launch the app as I already have it installed.
I think Eve, things are working correctly for you.

In order to download an app you have to do it through the store itself, not a browser.

I do have the Windows store app on my computer
I can go to the store web site and search through various apps, for ones that I do not have installed I get a Get the App button, as shown in my 1st attachment, when I hit that button the Windows Store App opens automatically and then I see a Get button. 2nd attachment.

For already installed Apps if I go to the download page for those apps if I hit the Get the App button then the Windows Store App opens to the App with a Launch button. 3rd attachment.
I have same results for both uninstalled and installed Apps on all my browsers with the exception of Opera, which gives the same results as shown in my 4th attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Get the App button.JPG (36.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Get button on Store.JPG (41.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Installed App.JPG (28.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Opera results.JPG (19.0 KB, 14 views)

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Epic Member

Judy, Yes I was just trying to point out that different browsers give different results from that link. With edge mine goes directly to the store. In Maxthon I am told my device can not use that app.. Firefox I do not get the Get App button to take me to the Store. Different browser settings probably also give different results as you had no problem with Firefox but I did.
Normally I would just open the Store directly and search from within. No need for any browser but as Big Barney does not have direct access to the store I gave the browser search link. It is fromthere he gets the need an app to download message which is presumably the Store app itself that he appears not to have or not able to open.

Windows 10 Home

Thunderbird
Avast! Free