Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > Updates, Security, and Scams

Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Question

Thank you for a very infomative post, Crockett, though I don't understand all of it some I do and have done. I'm new here and don't know if the problem I'm looking for is virus (AVG doesn't find it), Spyware (Spybot S&D found some and got rid of them for me but it happened again) or hijacking (I'm not sure I understand this one.)

2 days ago I was rebooting and tried to connect my dial-up through an IE link which I've been using for years. To my shock I suddenly got (what I call cascading) window pop ups (all the same address I used to make the connection) with page not found message. I would get rid of that window but 10 would take it's place, they were popping up faster than I could get rid of them. I had to manually shut down to stop it. I managed to get connected back through my YIM and everything seemed fine. I managed to get my spybot back and loaded and got rid of a lot of things. I thought the problem was solved but last night it happened again.

My ISP provider wiped my hard drive a few weeks back and reloaded my WindowME. I don't know if it's a problem I'm having with IE or something that has gotten to my computer that I can put a stop to. It's very scary to suddenly be bombarded with so many windows you can't get rid of them.

If I'm posting this in the wrong thread, please forgive me and move it to where ever it should be.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if anyone knows what is causing this, please let me know and let me know if there is a way to stop it. I'm not very educated as far as computers go but have gotten by for several years now with few major problems till now.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus
Thank you for a very infomative post, Crockett, though I don't understand all of it some I do and have done. I'm new here and don't know if the problem I'm looking for is virus (AVG doesn't find it), Spyware (Spybot S&D found some and got rid of them for me but it happened again) or hijacking (I'm not sure I understand this one.)

2 days ago I was rebooting and tried to connect my dial-up through an IE link which I've been using for years. To my shock I suddenly got (what I call cascading) window pop ups (all the same address I used to make the connection) with page not found message. I would get rid of that window but 10 would take it's place, they were popping up faster than I could get rid of them. I had to manually shut down to stop it. I managed to get connected back through my YIM and everything seemed fine. I managed to get my spybot back and loaded and got rid of a lot of things. I thought the problem was solved but last night it happened again.

My ISP provider wiped my hard drive a few weeks back and reloaded my WindowME. I don't know if it's a problem I'm having with IE or something that has gotten to my computer that I can put a stop to. It's very scary to suddenly be bombarded with so many windows you can't get rid of them.

If I'm posting this in the wrong thread, please forgive me and move it to where ever it should be.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if anyone knows what is causing this, please let me know and let me know if there is a way to stop it. I'm not very educated as far as computers go but have gotten by for several years now with few major problems till now.
Sounds to me like you're doing OK.
Follow as many of the instructions in this post, in order as you know how to.
Start a new topic (thread) in the PC Questions & Answers Forum, and post your experiences written above, as well as any results of any of the scans you performed and a log file from HijackThis.
If at any time during this process you experience a problem of knowledge of what to do, post in that thread also.
I'll be waiting for your post. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 PM

Thank You so much, this is just what I needed!!!
AMD Athlon Processor 265e
1.61GHz,896MB ram,IE7
Nortons antivirus 2009,ccleaner
Old 09-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Epic Member

Thank you for putting this all together, Crockett>>

I have bookmarked this info and printed it off. I only recently got my home pc back from repair (virus-related) and am starting from scratch -- this is the support info I need before re-creating my security options.

You Rok Crok!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Major Member

Thumbs up

Great post !!! This should really help me.

Thanks,

Sylvia
Old 09-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Great post !!! This should really help me.

Thanks,

Sylvia
Sylvia...if you need help, make a new post in PC Questions & Answers and we'll help you through it.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Major Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Crockett, I've posted there for the past few days & everyone has been a great help, someone referred me to your post & think it's very helpful. I think I'm OK for the time being & I'm using some of your procedure.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Sylvia
Old 10-04-2005, 09:43 AM

<If you don't own a firewall or use Xp's Windows Firewall, I would really recommend downloading a free one off the internet and Disable Windows Firewall >
OK I just did ALL of the things you have on that list when I had computer problems last week. The only thing my spybot, adaware and spyblaster brought up was 5 articles for DSO exploits. NO viruses.
AMD Athlon (tm) LE-1640
2GB Memory
Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Giddy Up!

I added a few tools to the tutorial today.
McAfee Avert Stinger and EliteToolbar Remover were added.
RAV on-line scan was deleted because it's closed.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Mr.Beaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett
RAV on-line scan was deleted because it's closed.
A not insignificant number of posts have mentioned that Panda's scan failed to run to completion. Might be a good idea to delete that one too and instead link to BitDefender's?

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett
A not insignificant number of posts have mentioned that Panda's scan failed to run to completion. Might be a good idea to delete that one too and instead link to BitDefender's?

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/
Done deal...thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:27 PM

Crockett, the link to the "Find_It_s" file is invalid. I did a quick search to try and find it elsewhere, but no luck. (kept finding the same link is all)
Do you have it so you can up it to putfile, or somewhere else?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb
Crockett, the link to the "Find_It_s" file is invalid. I did a quick search to try and find it elsewhere, but no luck. (kept finding the same link is all)
Do you have it so you can up it to putfile, or somewhere else?
It seems the only place I could find it is my link and the forums are down for maintenance. Hopefully that is why it won't work.
http://net-integration.net/forums.html
Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Cool...Thanks.
I'm attacking a messed up machine as we speak. I'm sure i'll be over in ask and answer with logs soon
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM

Talking Iceman53

That was a ton of useful information.I do have a spyware program but not that good a one.Thank You all.This whole newsletter is the best online source for everything.Especially we self trained newbies.Thank You all again.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM
BIG gals are the majority

Thumbs up This couldn't be more timely!

I originally found this site a few months ago when searching for info about PrintScreen. Your very informative sticky was a huge help to me at that time, Crockett, and I had every intention of checking out the site further, but was too crazed trying to develop my website.

This weekend I had further questions about PrintScreen, so went to my bookmark for your sticky. After getting what I needed, I promised myself to return here asap and register for the boards, which I did today. In reading some other Crockett advice, I discovered this sticky for spyware and virus problems, which is something I just spent over a month trying to conquer.

Thanks to good ol' AOHelL (hey, it does have its perks!), on September 24 I downloaded an update to their "free" spyware protection. That's when the trouble started, and it was downhill from there. They swore their program couldn't affect any other part of my computer, but, of course, that was an out and out lie.

"Coincidentally," they came out with yet another update about a week later, yet still swore they hadn't caused any problems (since then I've found other AOLers who experienced the same difficulties as I), despite the fact that nearly all the corrupted file warnings I was getting were about AOL files. I wasn't about to download yet another update, although I suppose it might have been a fix to the problems caused by the first (and only) update, but since they wouldn't admit that was the case, I refused to trust them (once burned, and all that).

Instead, among other things, the folks at MS recommended I uninstall the program altogether, which I did, and they kindly, patiently, and at no charge walked me through many steps to try to fix the problems, including the Micro Trend scanner, which found nothing (ironically, when a friend tried to locate the cause of the same problem on her computer, the only thing that could find it was AOL's spyware scan itself!). Unfortunately, although I spent hours on the phone with them, nothing worked, and they told me I'd have to wipe and reformat my hard drive, which was, at best, an unpleasant prospect.

Without going into too much further detail, I wound up searching for a new hard drive (learning more about h/d's than I ever wanted to know), after a friend recommended keeping the old one as a ghost so I wouldn't lose any of my old programs that I might forget to copy onto a backup disk, and could scan them before copying them over to the new hard drive. When my tech arrived last week to take my computer and install the new h/d, I discovered that, after having left my computer on for three days non-stop (a large part of the problem was logging on and off and accessing my password box), all of the problems had disappeared! I was unable to show him any of the things that had been plaguing me for more than a month!

However, this left me with no spyware protection (which was the partial point of this post; sorry it took me so long to get here ), and I promised myself over the weekend to research today what I should get. Your sticky, Crockett, is an absolute Godsend, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time and effort to post it! I've printed it out and bookmarked it for future ref. Thank you!!! ~Bountifully,
DK Intel Core 2 Duo; 375G HD/4G RAM; XPPro/SP3; 256K Cab; FF15/IE8; AOL9.6; OA FW/Avira/Spybot etc; Arc KB/Mouse; HP LCD Mon/Deskjet 990 Prntr; Epson 2400 Scan; 3 DVDR Brnrs; Off2000; Toshiba LT Satellite L675D-S7016 64-BIT Win7
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsia
Your sticky, Crockett, is an absolute Godsend, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time and effort to post it! I've printed it out and bookmarked it for future ref. Thank you!!! ~Bountifully, Fuchsia
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad it helped you out.
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, AOL is a bugger to remove....LOL

I think in the next day or two, I'm going to remove my hyperlinks so that when people print this out, they will be able to access the address of certain downloads.

Virus Infections/Hijacked?

Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 AM
BIG gals are the majority

Thumbs up Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett
I think in the next day or two, I'm going to remove my hyperlinks so that when people print this out, they will be able to access the address of certain downloads.
I often think of that when I'm printing out something for future ref. It's really nice to have those links as words, instead of URLs, in an article when you're reading it online, and it's certainly convenient to be able to simply click on them. Since I've bookmarked both of your stickys, I can access the info either way, especially if something, God forbid, should happen to this site.

Wonder if there's a way you could do both? Perhaps you could leave the sticky as is, but spell out the URLs at the bottom of the articles for those who are printing it out? Just sayin'...

Whatever you decide, you're the best! ~Bountifully, Fuchsia
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM

Thanks Crockett for all this info and the time it took you to put this all together have a hard copy thanks again
Lee
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Giddy Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLee
Thanks Crockett for all this info and the time it took you to put this all together have a hard copy thanks again
Lee
You're welcome, Lee.
Nothing is more satifying to me online than seeing people begin to take control of their own computer so they can enjoy surfing rather than get frustrated.