Old 03-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Old Timer

Smart TV's are watching you

Just wondered if anyone is expert enough to discus the security of our living rooms with the revelation that some smart TV's can be hacked and viewers photographed or sound recorded which could lead to blackmail. We have an LG smart tv and wondered if it had a hidden camera or recorder so looked it up on the Internet. Here is an excerpt from one story I read:-

Earlier this year, a U.S. Senator has called on the manufacturers of Smart TVs to make their devices safer – after a demonstration of an attack which showed off how hackers could “spy” on users through a television’s built-in webcam, as reported by We Live Security here.

“You expect to watch TV, but you don’t want the TV watching you,” said Senator Charles E Schumer. “Many of these smart televisions are vulnerable to hackers who can spy on you while you’re watching tv in your living room. Manufacturers should do everything possible to create a standard of security in their internet-connected products.”

His comments came in the wake of a demonstration at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, where a researcher showed off how to remotely activate the microphones and cameras in a Samsung Smart TV.

Any comments from members would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Almost Really Old Member

This was discussed right here last month, though nothing was mentioned about photographing users or recording conversations for the purpose of blackmail, I have not seen that anywhere so I am not sure where you heard that part of it and that was not mentioned in the link included in the previous thread here from last month.

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=172250

All of the stories I have read said the software tracked what consumers were watching and transmitted that data back to its servers. The software tracked what consumers were playing on their TVs, whether it came from broadcast or cable channels, streaming services, DVD players, or other sources. The company also collected data on users' WiFi networks and mobile devices that were linked wirelessly to the televisions.

These articles are all a result of the settlement of a lawsuit filed by the FTC in 2015 against Vizio alleging that since 2014 Vizio was manufacturing TV sets with the ability to track the viewing habits of their consumers and collected data via software on the TV's that was enabled by default. Again NO mention of photographing users in their home nor recording conversations.

In the 1st week in Feb. Vizio and the FTC reached a settlement.

https://consumerist.com/2017/02/06/v...-telling-them/

Quote:
That software, the FTC continues, “captures information about a selection of pixels on the screen,” then sends it back to Vizio where the data is “uniquely matched to a database of publicly available television, movie, and commercial content.”

That applies across basically every kind of content delivery you can think of — broadcast, cable, satellite, external streaming devices, DVD players, and internet service providers. It’s up to 100 billion data points each day from more than 10 million televisions, and Vizio “stores that data indefinitely,” the complaint continues.
Smart and LG were not sued because they require consumers to click OK during the set up of the TV's.

Here is another link with instructions on how to turn ability off for Vizio TV's, Smart TV's and LG TV's.

http://www.consumerreports.org/priva...ping-features/

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Laptop Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Old Timer

I think we are on different tracks Judy. I was referring to the hidden cameras and sound recorders in televisions that may allow hackers to watch you and possibly record the scenes they see in your home while the TV is turned on. Some embarrassing scenes could be recorded and used for blackmail by such hackers. I don't think it would be nice to have embarrassing scenes published on Facebook. This is an excerpt from the following link:-

" In the case of Samsung Smart TVs, iSEC researchers found that they could tap into the TV's Web browser with ease, according to iSEC security analyst Josh Yavor. That gave hackers access to all the functions controlled by the browser, including the TV's built-in camera.

"If there's a vulnerability in any application, there's a vulnerability in the entire TV," said Aaron Grattafiori, also an analyst at iSEC.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/tech...urity/tv-hack/
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I think we are on different tracks Judy. I was referring to the hidden cameras and sound recorders in televisions that may allow hackers to watch you and possibly record the scenes they see in your home while the TV is turned on.....
Why didn't you include the link in your original post? It would have been very helpful and then myself and others reading would have an known what you were actually talking about, especially since the link is 4 years old
Quote:
August 1, 2013
and really not at all the same thing covered just last month in the thread from here I linked to in my reply
The article in your link says this;
Quote:
Samsung quickly fixed the problem after security researchers at iSEC Partners informed the company about the bugs. Samsung sent a software update to all affected TVs.
The article also says this;
Quote:
"The camera can be turned into a bezel of the TV so that the lens is covered, or disabled by pushing the camera inside the bezel. The TV owner can also unplug the TV from the home network when the Smart TV features are not in use."
Smart TV's are certainly not the only "smart gadgets" today. Baby monitors, home security monitors and cameras all fall under these concerns and all have been hacked and are being hacked daily. Users have to be smarter.
You can certainly turn off the Smart part of the TV's, or don't buy a Smart TV. There are "regular" TV's readily available.

Read this article from earlier this month.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/smart-tv...view-2111.html

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit
Firefox v.53.0 ;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM
Old Timer

I was hoping for my post to get a discussion going but it looks very mush like it will not. Sorry about that.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I was hoping for my post to get a discussion going but it looks very mush like it will not. Sorry about that.
Lester there really isn't much to discuss on the subject except to use the suggestions given on the links given. Nearly everything is covered on those links.
If your tv connects to the internet then you should follow the same safety procedures you follow when using your computer.

1.Dell Inspiron 17 5759
Windows 10 64bit

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up