Old 03-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Major Member

DSL Modem bad or is it something else?

You can see my computer specs in my sig

Two days ago my Internet went down. I have DSL. The modem lights look fine just as they always do. I go to Start - Connect To - and click on my connection and it says it is connected but when I try to access the internet it acts like I'm not connected. I can ping my IP address and it was fine. I tried to do a repair but it can't find my ip address. I called my DSL company and they went through everything with me - all the settings, etc. and finally said my modem is bad and they are sending me a new one. My problem with this is (and I told the guy this) is why would my computer say it is connected and my modem have all the correct lights on it if it was bad? I've never seen this before where it tells me it's connected but it's really not.

I should have my new modem tomorrow but I've got a bad feeling it isn't going to work either. But then again maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about - LOL

Annie
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Forum Moderator

The modem has two parts, one that establishes a connection from it to your computer and a second part that connects the modem to the internet. It is the second part that has probably failed. You do not indicate this but did you power down EVERYTHING? That is, did you turn off the dsl modem and your pc, wait 5 minutes, and then turn the modem back on, wait for the lights to stop flashing and then turn the pc back on.
Mike's free security tools
Registry Cleaners are Unnecessary!!!
Reformatting is your last course of action.
System Restore, Don't use it!
Just because it is on Youtube, does not make it true!
Spes mea in Deo est
Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Major Member

That makes sense - yes I did power down everything so I guess maybe it is the modem afterall. That makes me feel better anyway - thanks!

Annie
Old 03-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Major Member

DSL problems

Hello Reader

Did you do the complete powerdown? That is, when everything is turned off, unplug the power cord to the computer and also to the modem?
I had a similiar condition which occurs in some cases, something gets into the bit stream and messes with your addresses. The computer does not go off completely just by pressing the off button! The Power supply stays on and some parts are still running. Maybe, it is holding the messed up codes and not allowing them to go down when it is just turned off.
My suggestion, if not already done, is to unplug BOTH COMPUTER AND MODEM! Wait 10 minutes or so, even leave it off over night. This is a good way to help clear up anything else also. At least it is safe to do and there is a possibility that it could help. Ocassionally, I have to unplug my modem to get it to reset and it is the latest one EMBARQ, (MY NEW PHONE CO, WAS SPRINT) that they have. They sent two others but they didn't work. Then the third one came. The Teck came out and knew what to do! There is a difference in the incoming phone connection! Instead of the normal input of the jack on the modem, it had to be put on the other two input wires! Don't know why They did this, caused a lot of confusion. I have 2 perfectly good modems they never requested to be returned. (Spares)
Good luck in whatever your decision is,
Regards
Gen. D
Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 PM

My friend's laptop just went through a similar situation, everything worked but no internet connection:

I hope your results are different. It was a power surge from th phone company on his 4 month old Toshiba and it fried the laptop's connection or what ever you call it in the laptop. (of course non warranty) and try arguing with the phone company even though one of the tech's told him they had a power surge at the time his laptop got cooked!.Anyhow a cheap fix was to go to a wireless router and to get on the internet. (or spring about $700 to fix whatever got cooked)
Old 03-07-2007, 03:00 PM

You can try a ipconfig /flushdns also..............it won't hurt!

DVD help

Photofiltre Graphic Editor

Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM

Just curious , did you get this resolved?