Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Lucky Dog

Games Won't Play In Full Screen Anymore

None of my games will play in full screen mode anymore. They only play in the window mode. I'm wondering if I changed some of my settings incorrectly? Any suggestions are appreciated as I can't see that well anymore and need the "big" full screen. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

HP Pavilion zd 8000 series
Windows XP Home Edition
Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Harrison
None of my games will play in full screen mode anymore. They only play in the window mode. I'm wondering if I changed some of my settings incorrectly? Any suggestions are appreciated as I can't see that well anymore and need the "big" full screen. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

HP Pavilion zd 8000 series
Windows XP Home Edition
I don't know what you could have done to your settings to prevent full screen. But, you can try to do a system restore to a date just prior to the change in settings.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD
Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Lucky Dog

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work though. If anyone else can suggest what settings I should have for my games to make them play in full screen, and how to change them appropriately, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again Billm65 for your reply.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Sharon from BC

Are these all games or just certain ones? Newer games or older ones?
Can you list a few please.. What does pressing F11 do, does the game still
stay the same size?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

A higher screen resolution reduces the size of items on your screen and increases the relative space on your desktop

You can switch your screen resolution temporarily to 640 X 480 if you have games or other programs that are set to run at that resolution. To switch, right-click the game or program (on the desktop or on the Start menu), and then click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, and then select the Run in 640x480 screen resolution check box. Your display reverts to its default resolution when you close the program.

Your monitor and video adapter determine how much you can change your screen resolution. You may not be able to increase the resolution above a certain level.

Changes to screen resolution affect all users that log on to the computer.

Only the recommended screen resolutions are listed. For additional settings, click the Advanced button on the Settings tab, click the Adapter tab, and then click List all Modes. Select the resolution, color level, and refresh rate you want.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Harrison
Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work though. If anyone else can suggest what settings I should have for my games to make them play in full screen, and how to change them appropriately, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again Billm65 for your reply.
sorry it didn't work, and, you're welcome. Sharber has some good ideas.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD
Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Lucky Dog

All of the games are affected, new and old. When I press F11, absolutely nothing happens. Here are just a few of the names of the games that are affected - 5 Spots Backspin Billiards, Super Pop-n-Drop, Scrabble Blast, Internet Backgammon, Luxor Amun Rising, Blasterball 2 Remix, Word Mojo Gold, Real Games, AOL games, etc.

Also, I visited the site you sent the link for and and I went to the settings tab on the display window and tried changing the screen resolution to 640 x 480, but the lowest the slide will go is 800x600 (my desktop window shrinks and won't go full screen anymore with this setting) and the highest is 1440x900 (the desktop window goes back to full screen).

I also get a message stating (WDRDraw: The display card does not suppport 940x480x16BPP@60Hz, and an error message: Could not open display.

Should I lose hope my games will come back to their full screen size?

(Note: I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of the games, but that didn't work either)
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Sharon from BC

Do you have icons for the games on your PC? This what you right click on
to change the compatibility mode..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=44618&lang=en

HP Notebook PCs - Cannot Switch Display Mode in Full Screen Media Center
Description
Pressing the Fn + F4 key combination once does not toggle the display mode when viewing the full-screen Media Center mode.
Solution
Press Fn + F4 twice to toggle the display correctly.

Solve a problem

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...452845&lang=en

What is the number of the PC? Many to choose from the 8000 series for
updating video drivers.

Closest I could get for US model was this:have you ever gone & updated the
onboard ATI graphics card?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...452845&lang=en

Driver - Graphics - ATI Date Version Previous Size

ATI M22/M24 Video Driver

09-2006 8.281.0.0 A Version:
26.17M

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...x=9&submit.y=4

From Start Help & Support

Getting older programs to run on Windows XPMost programs run properly on Windows XP. The exceptions are some older games and other programs that were written specifically for an earlier version of Windows. To run your program on Windows XP, try the following:

Run the Program Compatibility Wizard. As an alternative, you can set the compatibility properties manually.
Update your program, drivers, or hardware.
These options are covered in detail below.

The Program Compatibility Wizard
This wizard prompts you to test your program in different modes (environments) and with various settings. For example, if the program was originally designed to run on Windows 95, set the compatibility mode to Windows 95 and try running your program again. If successful, the program will start in that mode each time. The wizard also allows you to try different settings, such as switching the display to 256 colors and the screen resolution to 640 x 480 pixels.

If compatibility problems prevent you from installing a program on Windows XP, run the Program Compatibility Wizard on the setup file for the program. The file might be called Setup.exe or something similar, and is probably located on the Installation disc for the program.

To run the Program Compatibility Wizard
Start the Program Compatibility Wizard.
Follow the instructions in the wizard.
Note

To start the Program Compatibility Wizard, click Start, click Help and Support, click Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP, and then, under See Also in the navigation pane, click Program Compatibility Wizard.
Set the compatibility properties manually
As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set the compatibility properties for a program manually. The settings are the same as the options in the Program Compatibility Wizard.

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.
Notes

The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program.
For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click the option and then click What's This.
Update your program or drivers
If your program does not run correctly after testing it with the Program Compatibility Wizard, check the Web for updates or other fixes, as follows:

Check the Web site of the program's manufacturer to see if an update is available.
Check Windows Update to see if a fix is available for the program. Click Home on the menu bar of Help and Support Center, then click Windows Update in the right pane.
If the program is a game that uses DirectX, ensure that you are using the latest version of DirectX. In addition, check the Web site of the manufacturer of your video card or sound card to see if newer drivers are available for either of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007-10-29_Windows compatibility mode.jpg (90.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Lucky Dog

Thanks for all of the info - I was trying the suggestions from Sharber60 and had to stop and take care of something else - by the time I got back to finishing them, my games were all of a sudden in full screen again! I don't remember which suggestion in particular helped me, but one of them did. Thanks so much!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Sharon from BC

Glad to hear all is back to normal..Will probably remain a mystery only your
PC knows..
Thanks for posting back..
Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Lucky Dog

I was trying some of Sharber60's suggestions and had to stop to work on a different project. By the time I got back my games were in full screen again. I wish I knew which suggestion fixed it, but am thankful that whatever the problem was is fixed now. Thanks so much.