Old 03-27-2003, 10:58 AM

Unhappy No light up of screen on laptop

I had my laptop stored for awhile when I went on vacation. Now the screen won't light up. Recharged the battery and it is charged. tried letting the battery go dead and recharged to no avail. Any ideas of what is wrong? It worked fine when I put it away.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Just Me !

Location: Cheektowaga, NY. Relocated from Cheltenham, England.
Bev.

Welcome to WorldStart.

Even though the screen does not light up, can you hear windows load in the background. I know this might sound silly, but are you sure you have not got the screen contrast turned right down.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:25 AM

I really can't find the contrast button. I have looked everywhere. I do hear something in the background, but no window sounds like the opening sound. I will look again for the contrast button.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Just Me !

Location: Cheektowaga, NY. Relocated from Cheltenham, England.
Bev.

Post back with some more details on your laptop, make model number, operating system installed etc, then maybe one of the others will be able to help.

Have you tried using it while it is plugged into the mains, and do you see anything at all when windows is booting.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:35 PM

It may be a hardware problem. If the connector inside that connects the screen to the motherboard has somehow worked loose or the cable has failed somehow that may cause the screen to not work. Of course where you stored the laptop may have an effect too. I remember reading that storing them in a place that's too warm can cause some damage. And of course moisture is an enemy of parts too. Hope this info. is of some help. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Senior Moment

Do you have a spare monitor you can plug into it and try booting? We have had 4 or 5 laptops and have found them to be almost disposable.

Hope the thing comes back to life for you.

JJ
Old 03-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Golf Nut

Most laptop keyboards have an fn key between ctrl and alt and the left and right cursor(arrow) keys adjust the contrast and the up and down adjust brightness. Hold fn while using these keys. I have a feeling that cbrentner has a handle on your problem though.

Acer AST180, ADM Athlon 64 3500+, 160GB SATA HDD, 2.5GB RAM, Dual Layer DVD/CDR-RW, Vista Home Basic, HP Photosmart C4280 AIO, Canon Selphy CP400 Portable Printer.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:21 PM

It is the NEC READY 330T laptop computer and the rating is
19 volt-2.36A

Yes I did try plugging it in the electric socket to no avail. I did get the book out and it told me how to turn up the contrast. And I did adjust it by holding down the Fn key and pressing the F3 to decrese the contrast and F4 to increase the contrast The screen was still dark. Nothing worked. Sounds like it may be the screen connection. It was stored in a closet in its leather bag and has been stored there before. Not too hot or cold. I will probably end up taking it to the shop to have it worked on. The battery signal is at full charge. Thanks for all the help!! Bev