Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM

spybot at start up

How do I prevent spybot from scaning each time I turn on the computer?Do I need to have it scanned each and every time as I do turn it on and off several times a day,also I keep receiving a message about a change in the registry and asks me to allow or deny, I have no idea what to do. Do I have too many conflicting protection programs? Spybot,ad=aware,super anti-free edition,avast,spyware blaster, threat fire, ad-watch. I am using Gateway intel processor,XPpro sp2 (forgot how to add system specs on thread)
Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Almost Really Old Member

No you do not need it to scan at start and don't need it running in the background. Disable TeaTimer for certain.
To stop start up scan open the program and go to Settings.
Then on the Left Hand side you will see Settings again, click that.
When Settings opens scroll all the way down to Automation.
Remove any checkmarks that show there. Drop down right below there and be sure there is a dot in System Start, No Automation.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.33.1.1, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Unhappy spybot at start up

jholland'64, I was unable to find the info you gave when I opened s&d,all I received was a message "If you remove ad robts with this program, you may not be allowered to continue using host program"??????have no idea what it all means, should I delete some of the listed protection programs, as prehaps they are not comapatible? Thanks for your input.....
Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Open Spybot.
Go to the top and choose Advanced Mode.
When it changes to Advanced Mode then at the bottom left you will see the following;
+Settings
+Tools
+Info and License.

Click on +Settings.
When that opens you will see what is showing in my 1st Attachment.
click where I have indicated with Red Arrow.
Next you will see similar to my 2nd attachment. You will have to scroll about half way down to Automation
Make sure there are NO dots in area indicated.
Right Below that is System Start. Make sure there IS a dot in No Automation.
Once you have done that go up to File, Exit to exit the program.
Reboot the computer
Make sure there IS a dot in

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.33.1.1, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM
a lizard with style

Be sure to disable TeaTimer......

click on Tools on left side...bottom. Then click on Resident....left side. Make sure the Resident TeaTimer is NOT checked..... see attachment
Attached Images
File Type: png 2008-06-20_165256.png (14.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghecko
Be sure to disable TeaTimer......

click on Tools on left side...bottom. Then click on Resident....left side. Make sure the Resident TeaTimer is NOT checked..... see attachment
Glad you added that Ghecko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlady31
should I delete some of the listed protection programs, as prehaps they are not comapatible?
Which protection programs are you talking about? Give us a list. The start up scanning on Spybot wouldn't have anything to do with non-compatible programs but since you asked you obviously are wondering about this. Yes, there are some security programs that do not work well with each other. We will be happy to advise if you list what you are using.
Judy

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 PM
a lizard with style

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlady
Do I have too many conflicting protection programs? Spybot,ad=aware,super anti-free edition,avast,spyware blaster, threat fire, ad-watch
As far as I know...... Spybot, Ad-aware, SuperAntispyware, Avast, SpywareBlaster, and Threatfire all work well together. I don't know much about ad-watch or whether it conflicts with any of the others.

But wait for jholland......she will give you the best advice.

BTW....what firewall are you using?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Ad-Watch is a portion of AdAware. Frankly, keep all but dump the AdAware...rather UNINSTALL AdAware. It just isn't the program it used to be, I don't believe, and I think there are others here who feel the same way. It really has become much more intrusive for me, that is why I uninstalled it some months ago.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 PM
a lizard with style

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964
Ad-Watch is a portion of AdAware. Frankly, keep all but dump the AdAware...rather UNINSTALL AdAware. It just isn't the program it used to be, I don't believe, and I think there are others here who feel the same way. It really has become much more intrusive for me, that is why I uninstalled it some months ago.
I also got rid of AdAware. I liked the AdAware SE version, but it got too bloated after that. Now that you mention it, I remember that AdWatch was part of the (pay for) AdAware Plus program.....at least I think it was.

I wonder what firewall azlady has....or if she has one?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Just remembered also, as we all discovered on another thread here....if one has SpywareBlaster then it is recommended that the Immunize portion of Spybot not be used and should be turned off as SpywareBlaster does a much better job.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 PM
a lizard with style

Quote:
Just remembered also, as we all discovered on another thread here....if one has SpywareBlaster then it is recommended that the Immunize portion of Spybot not be used and should be turned off as SpywareBlaster does a much better job.
Yes......I was on that thread and I have turned off immunization in Spybot and no longer use it. I completely forgot to mention that ....you remember things much better than I do....
Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 AM

Cool spybot at start up

JHolland1964 & Ghecko, Thanks as always for all your help, followered your directions and hopefully I did it right, deleted ad-aware, as suggested, however , how do I turn off "immunize portion of Spybot" ?? All this INFO is at times is too challenging for my filled up brain. You people are amazing......
Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Forever Novice Okie

Don`t seem to be having any problems running Spybot immunize and Spyware Blaster. Wondering if turning it off pertains to everyone,,,,Gotta figure how if yall say it is really necessary.....Thanks for any advice....Jim
Old 06-21-2008, 05:27 AM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
We did?

Do they actually conflict. I would have thought it would be like running malware scans in two different applications - they would complement each other.

I'm open to correction, but I'd like some evidence.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2
Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 AM
MikeN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlady31
JHolland1964 & Ghecko, Thanks as always for all your help, followered your directions and hopefully I did it right, deleted ad-aware, as suggested, however , how do I turn off "immunize portion of Spybot" ?? All this INFO is at times is too challenging for my filled up brain. You people are amazing......
I hope you didnt DELETE that program and you meant that you UNINSTALLED it. Is that what you actually did? Deleting a program is not the correct way to remove a program and can cause alot of headaches.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Sharon from BC

Our PCs are running Spyware Blaster & Spybot immunize with no problems
at all..
Shouldn`t be as separate programs & no conflicts at all running both.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D
We did?

Do they actually conflict. I would have thought it would be like running malware scans in two different applications - they would complement each other.

I'm open to correction, but I'd like some evidence.
June 9, 2008, thread entitled Link that some can't load...Judy & Phil, actually somewhat of a continuation from another thread concerning a link that many of us (five of us who posted in that thread at least) could not load, we could use the IP address but not the link itself with ANY browser. Many could do both but the five of us could not. We narrowed it down to a security program those who could not get the link to load must all be using. None of us were using Hosts Files and we all tried various "turn offs" of firewalls, anti-virus programs and nothing worked. This involved various anti-virus programs and various firewalls so we knew these programs had nothing to do with this. Finally the solution was found by Harley on a link from
BleepingComputer on using Spybot on that link was the following information;
Quote:
SpywareBlaster provides a much greater deal of control over immunization and is updated frequently with new sites and malware. If you have SpywareBlaster installed, Spybot - S&D will notify you that using SpywareBlaster will provide greater control.
Now I will way here, I never received any type of notification from S & D, in fact don't think I have ever received any type of notification from them but other than that what was in the link turned out to be true.
It turned out to be all of use were using the Spybot Immunize and SpywareBlaster. When we all turned off the Spybot Immunize feature we could use the link.
Upon reading this the five of us on the thread who were unable to load the page we were speaking of by using the link, only the IP address, all turned off the Immunize portion of Spybot and then WERE able to use the link provided. There is NO way to turn off SpywareBlaster since it does not run in the background. I have kept my machine this way, WITHOUT Immunize turned back on, for 10 days now, done numerous scans for spyware and the like, and have found nothing different from scans doe prior to turning off the Immunize in Spybot. Therefore, at least on my machine I have to say my protection is the same and Spybot Immunize really added nothing, except an inability to access a website.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Junior Senior Member

All very interesting, but it seems no-one checked this.

I ran SpywareBlaster and checked - all protection enabled. Then closed SpywareBlaster.

I ran SpyBot and undid imminisation.

Then I opened SpywareBlaster again. I now have nearly 2000 items with protection disabled.

So if you do disable immunisation in SpyBot (I don't intend to, BTW) be sure to revisit SpywareBlaster and Enable All Protection again.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2
Old 06-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Maybe this is SpywareBlaster working WITH spybot...i.e. if Spybot Immunize is enabled then SpywareBlaster doesn't install those protections that Spybot is all ready using but by turning off Immunize then those pop into SpywareBlaster so that you can protect against them. All I know is I couldn NOT access the website in question on the earlier thread via the web site link...from here or anywhere else for that matter. Could only do with via the IP address UNTIL I turned off Spywbot Immunize.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Maybe this is SpywareBlaster working WITH spybot...i.e. if Spybot Immunize is enabled then SpywareBlaster doesn't install those protections that Spybot is all ready using but by turning off Immunize then those pop into SpywareBlaster so that you can protect against them. All I know is I couldn NOT access the website in question on the earlier thread via the web site link...from here or anywhere else for that matter. Could only do with via the IP address UNTIL I turned off Spywbot Immunize.
I've just decided I can live without that website - it's simply an entry generated by Spybot's Immunize in the Hosts file. I've yet to encounter a similar problem anywhere else.

Paul D