Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Computer won't start back up after shutdown

I checked and didn't find this question addressed on the message boa rds and I am about to pull my hair out. When my computer restarts or shuts down it won't boot back up on its own. It doesn't even want to boot back up if I push the power button on the tower or unplug it. I sit for a good 15 minutes trying to get it back on. I can unplug it and wait about 5 minutes and it will boot up. Please someone, help. I am not smart with computers so keep it as simple as you can or I will get lost. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Sharon from BC

Have you tried, unplug the power from the back of the PC, hold in the power
button for about 30 seconds..Do you see any flashing lights at all when you do
this? This clears the motherboard, plug back in and then try to start up again.
May not work, but worth a try.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
MikeN.

Its possible the fan on the motheboard is bad, things are overheating and need to cool off before it will restart.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howd2007
I checked and didn't find this question addressed on the message boa rds and I am about to pull my hair out. When my computer restarts or shuts down it won't boot back up on its own. It doesn't even want to boot back up if I push the power button on the tower or unplug it. I sit for a good 15 minutes trying to get it back on. I can unplug it and wait about 5 minutes and it will boot up. Please someone, help. I am not smart with computers so keep it as simple as you can or I will get lost. Thanks a bunch.
Could you provide a little more info please??????

Startin with What Operating System???????

Also What make and model??????

Did you add or remove anything prior to this problem starting???????

Please see the 1st post in this thread and it will give you an idea of the type of info to post when asking a question so it will make it easier for those attempting to help to be able to give you more accurate suggestions rather than guessing at what the possible cause is..........

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=101668

My guess is that maybe you used some kind of registry fixer which removed a crucial file that your system needs.........

Or maybe you page file cache is set to be cleared on shutdown and it is just taking an overly long time to reboot and you are panicking......Mind you this is just a guess and without more info that is all I can do is guess.......

Vista Specs

Crockett's Sticky
Click

Mike Lin's Startup Ctrl Panel
Click

Startup Inspector 2.2
Click

Print Screen Tutorial
Click

Before posting your questions
Click
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Re: Computer won't start up after shutting down or restarting.

I am running Vista home Premium on a Compaq Presario. I was wondering if a windows update may have caused this. I did run a registry cleaning program awhile back so you might be onto something. How do I check and fix that.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howd2007
I am running Vista home Premium on a Compaq Presario. I was wondering if a windows update may have caused this. I did run a registry cleaning program awhile back so you might be onto something. How do I check and fix that.
Did this problem start shortly after running the registry cleaner??????

Do you recall the name of the registry cleaner you used and do you still have it installed???????

Depending on the registry cleaner it may have saved what it removed and you may be able to restore what it removed......

There are several threads here about how systems have been screwed up with the use of a registry cleaner.......

In every thread here about the use of any type of registry cleaner the general consensus is to avoid the use of them at all cost unless you know and understand every registry entry that is about to be removed prior to removal.....

Vista Specs

Crockett's Sticky
Click

Mike Lin's Startup Ctrl Panel
Click

Startup Inspector 2.2
Click

Print Screen Tutorial
Click

Before posting your questions
Click
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Major Member

Won't boot after shutdown

The problem is most likely Your power supply. I have the same problem with a fairly new Antec 480 power supply. It still boots back up on restart but if I turn it off, I have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to come back on.
Have done all the test to prove this is the correct diagnosis. Removed All the connectors but the MB and one plug. Turned off and rechecked. No start. Switched the one plug to another and retried. Still no start. I just use it as is until I can get back to the supplier as I think it is still in warranty. Don't appear to have any voltage problems when running. Have checked all and they are normal.
Just thought this may help.
Gen. D.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Forum Moderator

Sounds like a heat issue or a power supply issue. Have you taken the cover off to make sure the CPU fan and power supply fan are not full of dust. If they are they will not cool the system properly. If either fan is going bad that can happen too. I would start with cleaning the computer. Unplug everything, get a can of air and a q-tip. Take it outside. Use the air to blow the dust out and the q-tip to clean the fans then blow it out again. See if that makes a difference. If not power the computer up while the cover is still off and see if the fans are spinning up properly. Some computers have a case fan that blows the hot air out or pulls cool air into the case. Make sure that is also working. If you have the same problem, I would try replacing the power supply. How old is the computer? Is it still under warranty?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Major Member

Restart problems

Hi Sunny,

I really don't think the heat is the problem. I thought so in the beginning then pulled the ps out and sit it on top of the computer where it can breath freely. All the fans are going full speed. However, when I turn the ac off with any switch, unplug, power sw. panel switch etc. it will not start for around 10 minutes or so. I even use the air can to cool it down, no help. So, I doubt if it is a heat problem. Runs fine and no problems whatsoever until shutdown.
Then the waiting starts!
Just My thoughts on the subject. Could be a number of other things also.
Gen. D
Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Forum Moderator

The CPU fan may be running but not functioning properly and if the power supply is fault it can cause that type of problem also.