Old 12-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Digital photo frame

Hello. Merry Christmas.
I received one of these for Christmas and my smart card it to big for it. (Camera is old)
Is there a way to hook it up with a usb and download pics from the computer?
Yes I've read the directions but am really afraid of messing it up. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Epic Member

If you have a card reader on your computer you can take the card out of the frame and put pics on it and then put it back in the frame.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabgary
If you have a card reader on your computer you can take the card out of the frame and put pics on it and then put it back in the frame.
I do have a card reader that I got from World start, but it is has to be hooked up to a usb and I download pics to the computer that way.
The card (from the camera) is to big for the photo frame.
I tried to hook it up to the photo frame but it wouldn't except it.
Not quite sure what you mean take card out of frame. There isn't a card in the frame.
Sorry I'm computer illeriate!
Thanks
Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorie
I do have a card reader that I got from World start, but it is has to be hooked up to a usb and I download pics to the computer that way.
The card (from the camera) is to big for the photo frame.
I tried to hook it up to the photo frame but it wouldn't except it.
Not quite sure what you mean take card out of frame. There isn't a card in the frame.
Sorry I'm computer illeriate!
Thanks
Look in the paper work for the frame.It should tell what size card you need for it.
If there is a place to put a card in the frame and there is no card there then will will have to buy a card for it and put your pics on the card and put in in the frame.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Epic Member

It may also have some built in memory.Didn't it come with some kind of instructions?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Old Timer

Double click on "My Computer" and look at the various drives that it shows. Using a usb cord plug into the frame and also the computer and you should see a new drive open. Make note of the drive letter. Navigate to the pictures on your computer and you can then copy them to the built in memory of the frame.
Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabgary
It may also have some built in memory.Didn't it come with some kind of instructions?
Yes there are instructions but nothing about a card. I'm having trouble understanding it. I think it's over my head and will just take it back. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Yes there are instructions but nothing about a card. I'm having trouble understanding it. I think it's over my head and will just take it back. Thanks for your time.
If you'll post the Brand and Model numbers of the photo frame on here someone will be able to give you assistance and easy step by step directions for getting pictures onto that picture frame from your computer.... Don't worry about messing up that new gift, once you get that first picture transferred onto it from the computer you'll feel like a pro......

It might further help if you posted some info about your computer and and operating system. It could be looked up as well to see what capabilities it has and steps can be determined to pair up the camera, the computer and the picture frame so those pics can easily be moved about between all three of them; saving you a trip to crowded stores during this busy return season...
Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Epic Member

Here is a place you can learn more about Digital Photo Frames. If it cannot help you use the one you have, it can provide information on what size and kind to buy.
Digital Photo Frame
Tom
Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Wiser with each Mistake

Funny I am sitting here with one sitting in front of me charging, I will then attempt to put some pictures on it, seems pretty straight forward.
Sorie do you have the list of items included with the frame, this may help to decide how to hook it up. Mine has a cord with USB connection on one end and a small rectangler plug on the other end that will plug into the frame or my camera, if you have this then just follow the instructions in the above posts.
Gigabyte motherboard.
Windows essential- windows firewall-Spyblaster-SAS-Malwarebytes
Toshiba Satellite laptop w[W7 home Premium 64 bit 4 Gb Mem. Kaspersky trail-Win firewall-spyblasre-Malwarebytes
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 AM
Retired Cowboy

Most frames come with internal memory & will hold quite a few photos without a card. Cards are for memory expansion. It doesn't get much simpler than plug-and-play. Using the USB cable, connect the frame to the computer and drag and drop photos onto the frame.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5RDC
Most frames come with internal memory & will hold quite a few photos without a card. Cards are for memory expansion. It doesn't get much simpler than plug-and-play. Using the USB cable, connect the frame to the computer and drag and drop photos onto the frame.
Ok I'll try once more. You folks are so helpful.
There a no other cords to hook it up to the computer. Does have a place for a usb cord.
The frame is
Ultech Model #dph3080e
it only has a plug in for ac and into the frame.Also a remote. This is all that came with it.

Computer is Dell Optiplex gx260
pentium 4-2.2ghz-256
56k modem.
Not sure what else you need for computer.
thank you for your help and patience.

I guess some of us seniors are nervous about something new!!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Ok I'll try once more. You folks are so helpful.
There a no other cords to hook it up to the computer. Does have a place for a usb cord.
The frame is
Ultech Model #dph3080e
it only has a plug in for ac and into the frame.Also a remote. This is all that came with it.

Computer is Dell Optiplex gx260
pentium 4-2.2ghz-256
56k modem.
Not sure what else you need for computer.
thank you for your help and patience.

I guess some of us seniors are nervous about something new!!
Looking at those stats these are the links found to show what you have:
For the Ultech Photo Frame
http://www.rummagethewoodlands.com/i...itemId=7749546 shows that Ultech Photo Frame has slot for SD (secure digital) card ... You could get one, quite inexpensive at any computer selling store, and get the pictures off the computer and copy onto the card using the card reader you have from WS.... use the included remote to then start the play cycle for viewing

For the computer:
Dell Optiplex GX260 which lists ample USB ports so you could hook the card reader to the computer, transfer the camera pics to the computer using your larger camera card, and then transfer them back onto the SD card to install into the picture frame.

Although no USB cable was included with the frame, you either have one or could get one and connect the computer directly to the frame and transfer the pics from the computer to the frame.....

All you will be dealing with is memory transfer of files... you can't hurt the pic frame so don't have any further worries there..... using an SD card is like using the old floppy cards with computers, just a matter of storing the info on the card and then pushing it into the memory slot on the frame... do it gently, and right side up... ... and you can't help but be successful....

Don't feel bad about the manual that was included, the web search had lots of different folks who found the manual less than helpful in the way it was written....... that happens a lot with the translation of language, likely from Chinese to English........ Enjoy those pictures.........
Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe
Looking at those stats these are the links found to show what you have:
For the Ultech Photo Frame
http://www.rummagethewoodlands.com/i...itemId=7749546 shows that Ultech Photo Frame has slot for SD (secure digital) card ... You could get one, quite inexpensive at any computer selling store, and get the pictures off the computer and copy onto the card using the card reader you have from WS.... use the included remote to then start the play cycle for viewing

For the computer:
Dell Optiplex GX260 which lists ample USB ports so you could hook the card reader to the computer, transfer the camera pics to the computer using your larger camera card, and then transfer them back onto the SD card to install into the picture frame.

Although no USB cable was included with the frame, you either have one or could get one and connect the computer directly to the frame and transfer the pics from the computer to the frame.....

All you will be dealing with is memory transfer of files... you can't hurt the pic frame so don't have any further worries there..... using an SD card is like using the old floppy cards with computers, just a matter of storing the info on the card and then pushing it into the memory slot on the frame... do it gently, and right side up... ... and you can't help but be successful....

Don't feel bad about the manual that was included, the web search had lots of different folks who found the manual less than helpful in the way it was written....... that happens a lot with the translation of language, likely from Chinese to English........ Enjoy those pictures.........
thanks I'll try to go get a cable tomorrow. I'm not fighting the crowds today!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
thanks I'll try to go get a cable tomorrow. I'm not fighting the crowds today!!!
Ok I bought the usb cable plugged it into the frame and computer and nothing. The computer doesn't even reconize it!!
I took the frame with me to the computer store and they said it would work! It plugs in ok fits.

I used the usb port on the front of the computer will it make any difference to use the one in the back of the computer??

THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Ok I bought the usb cable plugged it into the frame and computer and nothing. The computer doesn't even reconize it!!
I took the frame with me to the computer store and they said it would work! It plugs in ok fits.

I used the usb port on the front of the computer will it make any difference to use the one in the back of the computer??

THANK YOU!!!
On older computers sometimes the front usb port was for usb1 and the back ones for the quicker usb2... If I recall the stats for your computer it has from 4 to 6 usb ports, depending on configuration when you got it.. I would think no difference but you could try the rear port just to be sure....

Is the pic frame powered up by plugging it in the electrical outlet when you connected the usb cable? I don't know if that makes a difference, thinking your computer should just recognize the pic frame as a seperate drive for storage, but it may have to be powered up so the computer recognizes it... The remote that came with it, does it have to be on, or likely it is just for advancing the photo selections?....

Just some questions that come to mind, not knowing if the directions you got with it say anything about powering it up while connecting to the computer. I haven't used a pic frame display, but would surmise that your computer should just think of it as another usb connected storage drive so that pictures stored on the computer can be transferred to the pic frame for display. From the postings of others, seems like you are doing all correctly, except I don't know if you powered it up or not....

Maybe an experienced user can answer or see something different that you could do....
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe
On older computers sometimes the front usb port was for usb1 and the back ones for the quicker usb2... If I recall the stats for your computer it has from 4 to 6 usb ports, depending on configuration when you got it.. I would think no difference but you could try the rear port just to be sure....

Is the pic frame powered up by plugging it in the electrical outlet when you connected the usb cable? I don't know if that makes a difference, thinking your computer should just recognize the pic frame as a seperate drive for storage, but it may have to be powered up so the computer recognizes it... The remote that came with it, does it have to be on, or likely it is just for advancing the photo selections?....

Just some questions that come to mind, not knowing if the directions you got with it say anything about powering it up while connecting to the computer. I haven't used a pic frame display, but would surmise that your computer should just think of it as another usb connected storage drive so that pictures stored on the computer can be transferred to the pic frame for display. From the postings of others, seems like you are doing all correctly, except I don't know if you powered it up or not....

Maybe an experienced user can answer or see something different that you could do....
I tried plugging the usb into another port and nothing!
thanks for all your help. I'm taking it back today and buying another one. Will check it out at the store first!!!
Hopefully can find one that is more user friendly.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Happy Retiree

Thanks for the progress report... Sorry you didn't meet with success, and it does sound like the prob was the frame itself.... but perhaps had a good opportunity to learn about pic frames and what you would like to be able to do with one (in addition to looking at pics... ) .... most important is to be sure that you can transfer pics between either your camera and the frame or between your computer and the frame..... I have seen the frames certainly span a wide range price wise, but getting one that will work in a coordinated fashion between computer and camera is really the key...... Good Luck with your search...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks!! I'll be buying one just haven't decided what brand yet. Going to do some more research. Hubby bought it for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Retired Cowboy

I don't know how the frame would show up, but try going into "my Computer", where you can see all your drives. Then plug the frame in & watch carefully to see if any new devices show up. You should hear a two tone sound if it does.
If it doesn't show up, leave it connected & reboot the computer & see if Windows installs drivers for it.

EDIT: I did see on one site where this frame should show up as "NAND".

Last edited by N5RDC; 12-28-2008 at 07:32 PM.