Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM

Question Avast icon vanishing

I have Vista Home Basic with dial-up & have been using Avast for over a year now. Downloaded the newest version & re-registered just before Xmas & just prior to that was surfing away before I realized the Avast icon was not in the system tray so logged off & hit something on Avast in the start menu & restarted the computer & it came back & stayed.

Last evening noticed the same thing had happened again so think I hit on "pin to Start" then logged off & re-started & it was there again. Today just before I logged on noticed it was not there so went through the whole procedure again.

Is it possible I have hit on something by mistake as till the 1st time never had a problem with it. Scares me thinking of surfing with no virus protection. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 7 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Torch, IE 11 & cable.
Right click on the Avast icon ( #1 in the attachment below), then left click on numbers 2 thru 5.
Attached Images
File Type: gif avast.gif (34.5 KB, 150 views)

Click Here to view latest edition
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks Phil, sorry have not been on since I posted. The attachment was great & easy to follow. Both 3 & 4 are ticked. Used the computer yesterday & the icon was there but did a restart & it had vanished again & again today when I started the computer. I have to click the "unpin to start" then "pin to start", restart the computer & then ready to log onto the net.

Did a thorough virus scan last night & nothing showing up. Any more ideas?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Epic Member

Are you sure it is not just hidden in the tray?
"pin to start", and "unpin to start" should really have nothing to do with it.That just puts a shortcut in the start menu.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Epic Member

You might want to do a repair of Avast and see if that solves the problem.
Go to Control panel>Programs and features and double click on Avast and choose repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-00.jpg (37.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Member, Retired

Does your system tray have an arrow pointed to the left? If so, click on it and see if there are hidden icons. Mine does not show all icons either, but I click the arrow and they show up.

Canon Pixma MG2120 Printer
New 3/19/13
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
WAM

If you want them to all show, right click on Start, left click on Properties, left click Taskbar tab and take the check out of "Hide inactive icons" click Apply, OK and they will all show. If you have so many of them there that it is taking up a lot of your Task Bar space, you have way to much starting on startup. I have Sound, AVG, Connection, and KeyScrambler.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 PM

1st thing I did was click on the arrow to show the hidden icons but the Avast icon is most definately not there or the other Avast icon with the i on it. Will try what Robgary suggests when I log off & see what happens. Will let u know how I go.

Did go on twice before I realized the icon was not showing & the auto update did not pop up either time to say it had updated.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Happy Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi-cass
1st thing I did was click on the arrow to show the hidden icons but the Avast icon is most definately not there or the other Avast icon with the i on it. Will try what Robgary suggests when I log off & see what happens. Will let u know how I go.

Did go on twice before I realized the icon was not showing & the auto update did not pop up either time to say it had updated.
Here's a link to an External Control Program from the Avast Forum site which does the trick... at least from the postings there...
Avast External Control Program for missing icon

If that doesn't work, you can always change the "hide when inactive" status to "always displayed" status by going to the Task Bar properties page and clicking on the Customize button and changing the status on both of the icons for Avast...... .
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Did as Bigtoe suggested & thought I had it solved but owing to a hicup earlier when the computer re-started it had gone again. Just went to that forum & downloaded that program so will open after I log off. Think it might be a good idea if I join the forum too.

Have not tried Rabgary's suggestion yet as when the icons are there it does update ok.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM

I did the repair & still the same, downloaded the External Control Program but don't have Winzip etc to open it, I have Vista. Put a shortcut on the desk top but have to use the same rigmarole as before to get the icon in the system tray. Other than downloading Avast again if I can, any other ideas?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Just reinstall Avast over itself..........that should work.

Vista has a default zip extract...........just right click on the zip file.

http://www.askvg.com/avast-external-...ings-of-avast/

DVD help

Photofiltre Graphic Editor

Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Harley, is that the same program Bigtoe suggested I download. If so have it on the desktop but was a bit afraid to install. If not will download, have the web page open now.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Harley, is that the same program Bigtoe suggested I download. If so have it on the desktop but was a bit afraid to install. If not will download, have the web page open now.

Yes it is..........did you reinstall Avast?

Only takes few minutes.

DVD help

Photofiltre Graphic Editor

Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
If so have it on the desktop but was a bit afraid to install.
That program doesn't even have to be installed.It is just a single executable that you run and select your settings and then close.There is a option in it to restore Avast's default settings that you could try to see if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-00.jpg (35.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks Rabgary, opened that External control & hit on the Avast Tweaker & the icon came back. Turned the computer on & off a few times & it's still there. If it happens again will hit the "Restore the default settings". Many thanks to u all for your help.