Old 04-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Have an awesome day!

XP resets to 8 bit color...

I don't have XP and am not that familiar with it. My dad does have it, however, and never heard of defrag till I was there last night. Anyway, I gave him a game to play, and he was having trouble. I checked it out, and the computer keeps resetting to 8 bit color after I change it to 16. (the program needs 16 to run) We turned it off after a bit, and back on later, and it was at 8 again. Is there somewhere I can make it stay? I only see his computer for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, so not much time to look around. (for some reason, they think when I get around a computer I turn anti social or something. Go figure! ) He doesn't have much patience. (trying to be diplomatic here), so I am sure if he has to go in and change it every time, he would rather not play it at all. I want him to feel good and comfortable with it, not like its just doing things just to mess up his day. Thanks a bunch for any advice. (btw, it wasn't like that when they got it. Now the desktop looks bad too with the 8 bit color)
Old 04-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Forum Moderator

Hi Angel, it sounds like you need to reinstall the driver for the video card. Search for an updated driver on the manufacturers web site.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Have an awesome day!

The bad thing about that is he isn't online. I guess I will have to go over and check things out better, then download it to mine and take it to him. Good thing my dad has a kid that loves him. Thanks Sunny.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Forum Moderator

Your welcome Angel. It is a good thing he has you. Daughters are great
It may be that the driver is corrupt. If he has a driver cd that came with his computer you may be able to reload the driver from there.
Did you check in device manager to see if the video card is flagged as a problem. Is 16 the highest setting you can get?