Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM

How to get rid of Yahoo as the default search engine?

I am using Firefox/2.0.0.20 and I've seen the

]Step 1
Firefox
Go to [Installation Directory]\searchplugins

Step 2
Delete Yahoo.gif & Yahoo.src
(Delete the corresponding files for removing any other search engine)

Step 3
Restart your browser

The problem is that it assumes I know where the installation directory is and I don't.

I've tried this one to no avail:

To change it back to normal:
#1 Type in about:config in firefox, press enter
#2 search for keyword.URL on the search bar.
#3 it will come up with something with yahoo in the string. Right click and select Modify or Double Click on it.
#4 Type or paste in this http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%...eling+Lucky&q=

Yes, I can eliminate Yahoo in the Manage Search Engines, but it constantly returns. This has only been happening for the last few weeks so Yahoo must have been in something I downloaded. This is simply more annoying than anything else, but I've had enough of Yahoo. I'd love to get it off my computer altogether.

TIA
Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Forum Moderator

In Firefox click the arrow next to the search bar and choose manage search engines. Select Yahoo and click remove.
Also in Firefox click the tools menu > add-ons. Look for anything related to Yahoo and remove it.
Go to control panel > add/remove programs. Find anything related to Yahoo you do not want and uninstall it. Reboot the computer.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
MikeN.

You are also using a very outdated version of Firefox.

I am using Firefox/2.0.0.20 it is now up to 3.6.3
Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
In Firefox click the arrow next to the search bar and choose manage search engines. Select Yahoo and click remove.
Also in Firefox click the tools menu > add-ons. Look for anything related to Yahoo and remove it.
Go to control panel > add/remove programs. Find anything related to Yahoo you do not want and uninstall it. Reboot the computer.
I'd go into "manage search engines" half a dozen times a day to remove Yahoo, but it would always return as the default search engine.

HOWEVER, going into "add-ons" did the trick. There was nothing overtly tied to Yahoo, so I removed anything that had to do with search and that seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help because it was ultimately easier than the other things I had read online. The important thing is that it worked.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN. View Post
You are also using a very outdated version of Firefox.

I am using Firefox/2.0.0.20 it is now up to 3.6.3
Yes and I am using it deliberately since when I update the Firefox 3.6.3 disables my printer, also it dumps my old bookmarks. So I'll stick with my version or I'll dump Firefox altogether. I have used both Safari and Opera and I like them as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocs View Post
I'd go into "manage search engines" half a dozen times a day to remove Yahoo, but it would always return as the default search engine.

HOWEVER, going into "add-ons" did the trick. There was nothing overtly tied to Yahoo, so I removed anything that had to do with search and that seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help because it was ultimately easier than the other things I had read online. The important thing is that it worked.
You're welcome. Concerning your bookmarks in Firefox, do you regularly backup your data? If not you should. You want 3 copies of any data that is important to you in three separate physical locations. See my blog for more information on backing up.
http://shelly-backingupyourdata.blogspot.com/

You can export your Firefox bookmarks, then if you loose them you can import them again.
http://internetexplorerfirefoximport....blogspot.com/

What happens to your printer when installing the most current version of Firefox. That can most likely be fixed.