Go Back   WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums > PC Ask and Answer Questions

Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM

does anyone know how to get rid of this?

I use AOL for my mail but have high speed AT&T for access. When surfing or reading eamil, a blank screen with this address keeps popping up:

http://pixel.fetchback.com/timeout.html

Does anyone know what this is? Is it an AOL issue only? How do I get rid of it?

thanks,
LouAnne in CA
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
MikeN.

Your link didnt work. Clicked on it, got an empty page
Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM

link didn't work?

Mike: A blank page is all I ever get. It pops up like 20 times a day and that's all it is - a blank page. It's very irritating.

I'm hoping someone else who has AOL will see my question and know how to KILL it!

smiles,
LouAnne
Old 04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
MikeN.

Anything else strange happening? Machine gotten slow booting up? Pages taking a long time to load? Any other pop up type things?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasassone View Post
I use AOL for my mail but have high speed AT&T for access. When surfing or reading eamil, a blank screen with this address keeps popping up:

thanks,
LouAnne in CA
Are you using IE? Click the tools menu > internet options. Under the general tab click the delete button under browsing history and clear your cache.
Is this a new problem? Did you install any new software right before the problem started?
Install Malwarebytes update it and run a scan.
See what it finds.
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM

no other problems

In fact, had service & upgrades done on system about 6 weeks ago. this annoying problem just started last week. Version of aol I'm using is the free 9.5, but have been using it for months! No other pop up problems or anything. I HAVE had some stalls where I've had to close down and maybe reboot, but very seldom and I've blamed AT&T usually.

frustrated in CA
aka
LA
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
MikeN.

To try and eliminate a few things, run these, first one looks for malware the other is just a log of things running on your machine. Might see something out of the ordinary. It is a very strange problem you have there.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...dlPid=10997763
* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version if one is available. There are always new updates to the definitions.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.
PLEASE POST THE LOG WHEN SCAN IS COMPLETE

Reboot the computer.

HiJackthis
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ Do not choose the Beta version

There are 2 ways of getting the log.

1. Open the program and click Scan, once the scan has finished, click Save log. The log by default will be saved into the HJT folder if you used the installed version. Can name it whatever and then you would have to retrieve the log from that folder and open it in Notepad to copy and paste the contents in a reply.

2. Open the program, click on Main Menu, the program now looks like version 2.02. From there choose Do a system scan and save log file. The log is then created and generated in Notepad where it can be copied and pasted in a reply.

edited: last directions were for the older version of HJT>
Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
In fact, had service & upgrades done on system about 6 weeks ago. this annoying problem just started last week. Version of aol I'm using is the free 9.5, but have been using it for months! No other pop up problems or anything. I HAVE had some stalls where I've had to close down and maybe reboot, but very seldom and I've blamed AT&T usually.

frustrated in CA
aka
LA
I believe it is part of AOL. Click start > run and in the run line type msconfig. Click the startup tab. Do you see anything listed that relates to the pop-up that has a check before the name? Run the malwarebytes scan just to be sure you don't have some kind of spyware infection. Eliminating startup programs would also help. See my blog for startup information and how to eliminate what is not necessary.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN. View Post
Your link didnt work. Clicked on it, got an empty page
Mike, when I clicked on the link, I did get the blank page, but also a WOT red warning that the site has a poor reputation. So, even though it shows nothing except the warning, I would think the poster has to do some deep scanning for Malware or Spyware.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD
Old 04-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Mike, when I clicked on the link, I did get the blank page, but also a WOT red warning that the site has a poor reputation. So, even though it shows nothing except the warning, I would think the poster has to do some deep scanning for Malware or Spyware.
I got the same thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
It pops up like 20 times a day and that's all it is
Sounds to me like a hijacking, especially based on all of us so far getting WOT warnings.

Got just a white page period with Firefox, but with IE got my attachment, which I have not had before with IE, see both attachments.
Here is the info on the page in question which is fetchback.com....
Quote:
FetchBack is an internet marketing company that specializes in a targeted form of behavioral targeting called retargeting. Banner advertisements are placed in front of interested consumers who return to convert. Retargeting is the perfect complement to pay per click, Adsense, and Adwords efforts. The technology network allows for combined, unduplicated reach across all of the network partners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regular IE WOT warning.jpg (1.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg fetchback WOT IE warning.jpg (54.7 KB, 64 views)

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.33, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Learning everyday

Quote:

thanks,
LouAnne in CA
I got a WARNING from wot saying it has a bad reputation. I X'd out.

Kind words don't wear out the tongue
Old 04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
MikeN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
I already posted the starting steps for looking for malware right there in #7, 2 posts BEFORE yours and i also did the WOT check,just didnt post the results of the check,sorry,if I used that junk IE browser I would have gotten the warning Judy posted, cant be on top of every last detail in every thread You think something else needs to be done, be my guest and take over

I also posted that I didnt get anything, in case the link itself that was posted was actually a bad link, so they could post it again and get more info from that to further help the poster.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:20 PM

the fetchback problem

Tis me, the original questioner. I have run all my Adware, Malware & virus programs and even did 2 searches for the words Pixel & fetchback. There is NOTHING on my computer at all.

It appears this is an online AOL thing and, since I am using their free version for my dsl connectiong, I am unable to contact their techs about it because free service doesn't include service help - go figure.

So, guess I have to live with it, but I wanted to thank all the responders for their suggestions and help.

LouAnne in CA
Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Almost Really Old Member

You AREN'T going to find it ON your computer, it is a pop up ad. It obviously is being blocked since you cannot see anything but a blank page and that is good but you need a good pop up blocker.

What browser are you using? It ISN'T and AOL thing, it's an ad. Doesn't have anything to do with AOL.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.33, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-24-2010, 02:24 PM

i need a popup blocker?/

I have two pop up blockers; I am well covered. Thank you.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Almost Really Old Member

I asked you what browser are you using?
Mike asked you to run HiJackThis. This would show the possible problem. We never saw the MBA-M log but will take your word for it that it came up 100% clean. But a HiJackThis log could show WHY this is happening, but I would have to see the full log first. The scan takes no more than one minute and will produce a log showing a basic snapshot of various programs, settings and the like. We possibly could get rid of these and you wouldn't have to "live with them". This is NOT supposed to happen.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-24-2010, 02:55 PM

answers

Someone asked what browser I'm using and I use IE 8 that is provided by AOL. So far this morning I have not had the pixel fetchback thing come up, so perhaps something I did has blocked it. Remains to be seen. Will post again in 24 hrs as to what happens today....
LA in CA
Old 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Since the poster doesn't want assistance then I would say this thread is finished.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM

I have no idea what "Hijackthis" is. I have something called "Exterminate It" that my tech put on my system, but I've never heard of Hijackthis.