Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Epic Member

Windows live mail..GONE

Using win7 64Bit with Windows live mail for over six months now,used mail yesterday, today when went to use,all gone Account/Messages/Contacts just blank.
Have made no changes or updates between uses, probably just a warning to others to backup if using Win Live mail all your important stuff...got most back C: Users/Name/AppData/Microsoft etc..what annoyed me most was doing a System Restore(4 different dates) did not return Win Mail to original state,what`s the point of it?
Incidentally did a Google search and seems is not that uncommon with Win Live mail for this to happen
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Learning everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazcaz View Post
Using win7 64Bit with Windows live mail for over six months now,used mail yesterday, today when went to use,all gone Account/Messages/Contacts just blank.
Have made no changes or updates between uses, probably just a warning to others to backup if using Win Live mail all your important stuff...got most back C: Users/Name/AppData/Microsoft etc..what annoyed me most was doing a System Restore(4 different dates) did not return Win Mail to original state,what`s the point of it?
Incidentally did a Google search and seems is not that uncommon with Win Live mail for this to happen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...System-Restore

Kind words don't wear out the tongue
Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazcaz View Post
Are you sure your account is gone also? Did you check your view settings to make sure you were viewing all messages? Click the view menu > current view > define views. Make sure show all messages is selected.
Did you make any changes right before the problem started?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Epic Member

Hi Sunny,yep a soon as I went in to Tools/Accounts and the box was blank new I was in trouble..tried all what you mentioned and different previews/synchronising etc etc..had made no changes at all to anything...viewed emails about 10.00pm,closed PC in normal manner, next morning went to view emails and nothing.....I had made a back up using "Mail store home" a few months back so had most contacts and many emails I could retrieve...funny thing though in App data/local folders the most recent emails where there(in folders) so could read them by just opening each one...complete mystery to me, and dissapointed Sys restore did not work..Computers you just got to luv em
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Forum Moderator

I have seen other posts about this issue. Not sure what is causing it. Do you do a weekly backup? If not try this program http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
It is an excellent free program that will automatically backup the data you specify on a schedule.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Retired Computer Techo

As far as I know the so called system restore rolls the register back to a given day, I never trust it and use ERUNT instead.
2.67 GHz Intel Core2 Quad 2GB RAM, 150GB + 500GB + 2TB SATA + 1TB Ext, DVD-RW, WinXP Pro (SP3), IE7, Avira, Outpost Firewall, Nero 7, Office XP. Cable. Pics of my Radar & Parrish now retired therapy dogs below.
Google is your friend

Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Junior Senior Member

System Restore does NOT restore lost files.

System restore is useful for restoring the registry or recovering from a recent update or something, but it fails miserably if you think it's some sort of "way back" machine like restoring an image of your system.

1) Not all changes get tracked. Only changes made through legitimate channels like software installs, while Windows proper is running. Do anything in Safe Mode and guess what? Your changes aren't tracked. A trojan modifies something... guess what? Those changes aren't tracked. You have a filesystem error and data is damaged? Those "changes" aren't tracked.

2) Only changes that have been tracked are restored. It doesn't "put your system back the way it was 2 weeks ago" it just undoes the changes it has tracked.

3) More often than not, because it doesn't completely track changes, a successful System Restore will leave your system in an inconsistent state. It may (or may not) solve the problem you are looking to solve, but also create others.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Uber Member

Did you try a re-boot?
8GB RAm
1 TB HD
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Did you try a re-boot?
Since he ran a System Restore, the answer to that would be YES.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2