Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Avira won't Install

Hello,

Recently, I was having issues with my internet service, I could not get online. Charter communications came to my house and fixed the problem. I noticed when i got back online I could not update my Avira protection. I tried to uninstall the Avira and reinstall it, but it fails during the installation process. It keeps telling me there was an error. Can anyway let me know why I'm unable to reinstall Avira at this point? After avira didn't install, I tried to install Avast, but that too failed during the installation process.

Thanks,

Joe (Lynn's son)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirl811 View Post
Hello,

Recently, I was having issues with my internet service, I could not get online. Charter communications came to my house and fixed the problem. I noticed when i got back online I could not update my Avira protection. I tried to uninstall the Avira and reinstall it, but it fails during the installation process. It keeps telling me there was an error. Can anyway let me know why I'm unable to reinstall Avira at this point? After avira didn't install, I tried to install Avast, but that too failed during the installation process.

Thanks,

Joe (Lynn's son)
What is the exact error message you are getting? Have you rebooted the computer?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM

I just downloaded avira again and I went through the registration process and then during setup when it began installing components, it fails. The message says "installation failed", and the process freezes. My computer does not freeze though when I access the web only during the avira and avast setup process. Do you think it could be a virus preventing the setup?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Exactly how are you uninstalling the program? Go through Add/Remove and uninstall and then also use this FREE version of Revo Uninstaller to remove any items left behind.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start..._download.html

Then try downloading Avira again from this link:http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.34.0, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 PM

I already have revo uninstaller pro setup saved to my computer and I always removed the avira by using the add/remove function.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Almost Really Old Member

The do it again the same way and then use Revo to get the rest.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.34.0, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
MikeN.

Might need to use this Avira Registry Tool.It removes Avira registry keys. Could have bad registry keys leftover hindering the installation

http://dlpro.antivir.com/package/reg...cleaner_en.exe
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Exactly how are you uninstalling the program? Go through Add/Remove and uninstall and then also use this FREE version of Revo Uninstaller to remove any items left behind.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start..._download.html

Then try downloading Avira again from this link:http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
Judy, Revo relies on there being an entry in Add/Remove Programs. Step 2 in Revo, after setting a Restore Point is to run the program's uninstaller, which is what Add/Remove Programs also does. So if you uninstall using Add/Remove Programs, Revo will be unable to find the app in it's list of installed apps, which it gets directly from Add/Remove Programs, and therefore won't be able to do anything at all.

Joe, just install Revo and uninstall Avira using that. Use the Advanced option.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2
Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 PM

I'm kind of nervous because even the revo uninstaller setup I had saved is giving me the same "installation failed" message when I go to install it.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 PM
MikeN.

Run Malwarebytes as a precaution
Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
Judy, Revo relies on there being an entry in Add/Remove Programs. Step 2 in Revo, after setting a Restore Point is to run the program's uninstaller, which is what Add/Remove Programs also does. So if you uninstall using Add/Remove Programs, Revo will be unable to find the app in it's list of installed apps, which it gets directly from Add/Remove Programs, and therefore won't be able to do anything at all.

Joe, just install Revo and uninstall Avira using that. Use the Advanced option.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_...questions.html
How can I remove a program which is not listed in Windows Add or Remove programs applet or Revo Uninstaller Pro list of installed programs?
Quote:
How can I remove a program which is not listed in Windows Add or Remove programs applet or Revo Uninstaller Pro list of installed programs?
If the program is not listed in Revo Uninstaller Pro you can use Forced Uninstall feature of Revo Uninstaller Pro, which does not require a program to be installed or listed properly - just browse to its folder/file and enter its name.
How can I remove a program which partially installed or uninstalled, but is not listed in the list of installed programs?

If the program is not listed in Revo Uninstaller Pro you can use Forced Uninstall feature of Revo Uninstaller Pro, which does not require a program to be installed or listed properly - just browse to its folder/file and enter its name.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Junior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_...questions.html
OK - I've never had the Pro version.

But I still think you're better off simply running Revo from the start, as doing that triggers the Add/Remove Programs action and then follows on.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2

Last edited by Paul_D; 06-28-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Ok Mike, I ran malwarebytes and it found nothing malicious. I wanted to just add, that yesterday when I first noticed I was unable to update my avira, I ran the avira scanner without the update and it found a suspicious file. At that point I went into safe mode and ran avira again along with another antispyware program. Both scans found nothing. At that point I uninstalled my avira by add/remove and could never reinstall it again.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
MikeN.

Try using that Avira Registry tool since you cant use Revo Pro, reboot, then try installing Avira again
Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM

I went to the link for the avira registry key cleaner, downloaded it and when i went to run the scan a microsoft prompt came up saying that regcleaner.exe encountered a problem and needs to close. I can't install anything I download.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
MikeN.

Try in Safe Mode
Old 06-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Ok I deleted the avira registry keys in Safe Mode. I will try to download avira again.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:05 PM

It failed to install again.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Forum Moderator

You say all of this started after your internet connection was repaired. What exactly did they do?
Try resetting your cable modem/router.
Turn your computer off. Unplug the cable modem and router if you have a router. Let everything sit powered down for 5 minutes. Then plug the cable modem back in. Allow it to power up, then the router if you have one, then the computer. Once the computer is back up verify that the date and time on the computer are correct.

Also are you using IE or Firefox? Try this, if IE open IE. Click the tools menu > internet options. Click the connection tab. Click the LAN settings button. If there is a check in "automatically detect settings" take it out. If there is not checked, check it. Apply the setting and reboot. Try again. Also make sure nothing else in that menu is checked.

If you are using Firefox, open FF. Click the tools menu > options > advanced > network. Make sure "no proxy" is selected.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

I didn't understand what charter did exactly, I think the signal I was receiving was too high. They adjusted something outside. The receipt was for a line call and it listed my signal return as 59.