Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Epic Member

Red face How To Microwave French Fries?

My Oven quit working. I have large bag of frozen French Fries (Directions of bag only show how to Bake in Oven) which I would like to Microwave but don't know how. If any of you great cooks could give me directions I would appreciate it.

Systemax 3 Desktop, Windows 7, 64-Bit OS, Intel Core i3-2120, 3.30GHz CPU, 4GB Memory, 500GB HD, Windows Firewall, Firefox 32.0, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, MS Essentials
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinghere View Post
My Oven quit working. I have large bag of frozen French Fries (Directions of bag only show how to Bake in Oven) which I would like to Microwave but don't know how. If any of you great cooks could give me directions I would appreciate it.
Never tried it myself, but lots of sites to check out.

https://search.mywot.com/?q=How+To+M...try=us&cs=&ab=
8GB RAm
1 TB HD
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Epic Member

A microwave will thaw them and cook them but it will never brown them nor make them crispy, sittinghere. If you try to crispy them they will just get hard because the micro takes the moisture out of them. I think 'they' might make a microwavable french fry but they would have to be labeled that way on the bag.

Dell Inspiron 530, Windows 7
Intel Pentium Dual CPU, 2 GB RAM
250 Gig hard drive
Avast, SpywareBlaster,
Superantispyware, W7 firewall,
Malwarebytes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Although not as healthy, could cook them on the stove top in some oil....I have done that a couple times. It is a bit messier but it gets the job done. They get brown and crispy. That is if your stove is still working obviously.
Mike's free security tools
Registry Cleaners are Unnecessary!!!
Reformatting is your last course of action.
System Restore, Don't use it!
Just because it is on Youtube, does not make it true!
Spes mea in Deo est
Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65 View Post
Never tried it myself, but lots of sites to check out.

https://search.mywot.com/?q=How+To+M...try=us&cs=&ab=
Thanks Bill. Before I posted here I "Googled" my question and they gave me a lot of the same sites. I'm going to go through them tomorrow when I have more time.

Systemax 3 Desktop, Windows 7, 64-Bit OS, Intel Core i3-2120, 3.30GHz CPU, 4GB Memory, 500GB HD, Windows Firewall, Firefox 32.0, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, MS Essentials
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGAL View Post
A microwave will thaw them and cook them but it will never brown them nor make them crispy, sittinghere. If you try to crispy them they will just get hard because the micro takes the moisture out of them. I think 'they' might make a microwavable french fry but they would have to be labeled that way on the bag.
Thank you MNGAL. And yes, you are right, they do make many different brands of Microwavable French Fries but I just happen to have a brand that only allows them to be used in oven.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
Although not as healthy, could cook them on the stove top in some oil....I have done that a couple times. It is a bit messier but it gets the job done. They get brown and crispy. That is if your stove is still working obviously.
Thanks Crash but I would rather not use oil if I can possibly help it.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Member being informed

Do you have a family member, friend or neighbor that has one of these, that you could borrow until you get your oven fixed?

This is all we use to do FF, as we don't use oil, so we don't use the "Fry Daddy" any more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-American...080#vi-content

Edit:SYX Venture SBM3 Desktop PC - Intel® Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz, Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64 Bit, 4GB DDR3, 500 GB HDD, DVDRW, 15-in-1 Card Reader, 120G external Seagate HD, 15Mb Cable, Fire Fox v.20
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Doreen

I do them in the toaster oven all the time. ... Hubby does them in the microwave but he doesn't like them toasty and crispy like I do.
He also puts Gravy on them....

a Canadian Thing...
http://www.food.com/recipe/real-canadian-poutine-113388
this recipe is a heart attack waiting to happen. LOL
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Learning everyday

I've put them on a microwave safe plate with a napkin covering them & start at 2.5 minutes. Duplicate if needed be.
Of course all microwaves vary.
Heck, let 'em thaw & eat them that way.
The wonderful potato can be eaten raw,cooked,fried,etc, etc. Enjoy them in what ever way you consume them. :>)

Kind words don't wear out the tongue
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong # View Post
Do you have a family member, friend or neighbor that has one of these, that you could borrow until you get your oven fixed?

This is all we use to do FF, as we don't use oil, so we don't use the "Fry Daddy" any more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-American...080#vi-content
I've never seen or even heard of one of these before. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delig8dor View Post
I do them in the toaster oven all the time. ... Hubby does them in the microwave but he doesn't like them toasty and crispy like I do.
He also puts Gravy on them....

a Canadian Thing...
http://www.food.com/recipe/real-canadian-poutine-113388
this recipe is a heart attack waiting to happen. LOL
Your Toaster Oven suggestion sounds like a great idea. I've often thought of maybe buying one but they are limited on what they can do. I was going to buy one till I was told you can't even heat a cup of coffee in one. Your husband's French Fries with Gravy is the most interesting dish I think I have ever heard of...LOL

Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude View Post
I've put them on a microwave safe plate with a napkin covering them & start at 2.5 minutes. Duplicate if needed be.
Of course all microwaves vary.
Heck, let 'em thaw & eat them that way.
The wonderful potato can be eaten raw,cooked,fried,etc, etc. Enjoy them in what ever way you consume them. :>)
I tried you suggestion but the Fries were burnt to a crisp.

I then started trying all of the different advice I have got from the many posters.

The best result was when I cooked the Frozen French Fries for 1˝ minutes. They didn't taste like the ones done in the Oven but they were eatable.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Doreen

I wanted to post back I did FF in the micro last night as well.
Yes they were fine to eat, but not the way I like them. even with the gravy on them. they were soft. I like crispy fries, I like the natural ones with the skins on even. I have found them frozen even.
Toaster ovens are not expensive and yes you can't heat coffee, but it does so much better on pizza, FF, burritos. cheese toast, .... I use mine lots, I even bake small cakes/ cupcakes, brownies in mine.
I had one of those cookers like wrong# showed, they are great, mine quit, but I even roasted turkey, chickens, great for many meals, total oven replacement and much quicker.
If you listened to my daughter you shouldn't eat "anything" cooked in a micro.Long story.

Toaster ovens are a very common thing sold at yard sales and thrift stores, and often look clean as new. I have bought them for the guys that work for me at them. They worked, and they were happy.

good luck in your ff venture.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Learning everyday

Quote:
I tried you suggestion but the Fries were burnt to a crisp.

I then started trying all of the different advice I have got from the many posters.

The best result was when I cooked the Frozen French Fries for 1˝ minutes. They didn't taste like the ones done in the Oven but they were eatable.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
Well, like I said, all microwaves vary in how many minutes at a time. I have a Cuisinart Microwave that does a good job.
I've eaten many burnt fries with other ones. Have a great day.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM

I have never had luck with potatoes in the microwave, except cooking whole like baked. I could not get by w/o my toaster oven, I can cook nearly anything in it. Same for the microwave. When I cook breakfast for my DW I have buscuit in toaster oven, grits in m/w and eggs on the stovetop. She don't like m/w eggs.

Dell Dimension 8400 / Win XP Media Center Edition
CPU 3.60 GHz Intel Pentium 4 / Memory 1024 MB
Display RADEON X300 / Multimedia Angel MPPEG
Avira AntiVir Premium
Online Armor
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delig8dor View Post
I wanted to post back I did FF in the micro last night as well.
Yes they were fine to eat, but not the way I like them. even with the gravy on them. they were soft. I like crispy fries, I like the natural ones with the skins on even. I have found them frozen even.
Toaster ovens are not expensive and yes you can't heat coffee, but it does so much better on pizza, FF, burritos. cheese toast, .... I use mine lots, I even bake small cakes/ cupcakes, brownies in mine.
I had one of those cookers like wrong# showed, they are great, mine quit, but I even roasted turkey, chickens, great for many meals, total oven replacement and much quicker.
If you listened to my daughter you shouldn't eat "anything" cooked in a micro.Long story.

Toaster ovens are a very common thing sold at yard sales and thrift stores, and often look clean as new. I have bought them for the guys that work for me at them. They worked, and they were happy.

good luck in your ff venture.
Thanks again for all the great info. I too had misgivings about Microwaves when they first came out. I was probably one of the last people in Illinois to buy one. I kept waiting for the "Experts" to say they cause cancer...LOL. I am going to start looking at Toaster Ovens again.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1nut View Post
I have never had luck with potatoes in the microwave, except cooking whole like baked. I could not get by w/o my toaster oven, I can cook nearly anything in it. Same for the microwave. When I cook breakfast for my DW I have buscuit in toaster oven, grits in m/w and eggs on the stovetop. She don't like m/w eggs.
It sounds like everybody has a Toaster Oven but me...LOL

Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Doreen

Quote:
It sounds like everybody has a Toaster Oven but me...LOL

I have two. lol

1 small one, and I used it so much, and my daughter and I were shopping at DD's and they had a Large Roisteirre?? oven toaster oven on sale for $19.99 I think... it has the fan in it for convection cooking as well. we do full size pizza in it.
It isn't insulated and I doubt if the temperature is as even as my small one, but heck it does a great job on chicken.... wandering away from the French Fry question as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Learning everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1nut View Post
Will give my toaster oven a try in a few days.