Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
irishlady

Help AVG

I have AVG installed but its not working i have tried to uninstall it to load the latest one.
But when i go to Control Panel click AVG it comes up uninstall/change i have tried both a few times but it never
uninstalls it or changers it.
So at the moment i have no antivirus
Any Help
Irishlady
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
‰¥

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlady View Post
I have AVG installed but its not working i have tried to uninstall it to load the latest one.
But when i go to Control Panel click AVG it comes up uninstall/change i have tried both a few times but it never
uninstalls it or changers it.
So at the moment i have no antivirus
Any Help
Irishlady
You still don't have an anti-virus with AVG running!!

Go to the program folder and use that uninstaller........or better yet do it in safemode.

You can also use AVG remover from the Grisoft website.

http://www.mytechguide.org/7871/how-...avg-antivirus/

Then install a good program like Avast.

DVD help

Photofiltre Graphic Editor

Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Tercr6

AVG used to be 1/2 way decent when windows 95/98/98se were in use , since XP AVG has become a hugh bloatware program creating many issues .

Get rid of it ,and as advised install a good one.

I'd suggest to download a good program's .exe or installer first ,that way when you completely get rid of AVG ,you can run the new AV installer immediately.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Forum Moderator

As the others have said, AVG is not a good choice. Try Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. Both offer free versions. Download the programs you would like to use. Save the setup file to your desktop or another location. After you have saved the setup file, uninstall AVG. Reboot the computer and install the new antivirus software.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5201
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Windows 8.1 Pro

Go with Avira Free

http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Tercr6

I think the consonance on this board , is Mse - Avast - Avria .

It's a personal choice.

I happen to run MSE.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Major Member

I use Avast.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Life's Tough,Get A Helmet

Avira for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Larry

I think the consonance on this board , is Mse,Avg are not very good.

Avira and Avast are the Better ones.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercr6 View Post
I think the consonance on this board , is Mse - Avast - Avria .

It's a personal choice.

I happen to run MSE.
I have tried all three and like MSE the best.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Tercr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I have tried all three and like MSE the best.
I too , possibly because it's the less complicated. I have tried all all three .

Those with more experience,etc. may disagree.

In this case though when a poster is using AVG ,they most likely do not know how to use ,except to install and update.

And really , if someone recommends another over AVG ,the should elaborate on it's use if it involves more.

No disrespect of course ,but I often find a generalized recommendation inadequate.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
In this case though when a poster is using AVG ,they most likely do not know how to use ,except to install and update.
And really , if someone recommends another over AVG ,the should elaborate on it's use if it involves more.

No disrespect of course ,but I often find a generalized recommendation inadequate.
I find that comment rather disrespectful to the OP of this thread. She's been a member since 2006, made 96 posts so she is not here often and with comments like that about AVG users I am not surprised. Since she is rarely here it is very possible she has not seen the information about AVG before now.

I would say that it is the consensus or group opinion of members here that Avira, Avast and MSE are the most commonly used Free av programs of members here. As most know I use Avira Free and have for many years.

I would also say that most of the time, the recommendations are not generalized but very specific. Avast and Avira score higher on independent testing most definitely than AVG and also most often MSE and it is noted with specific links.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/compa...ummary-reports

Instructions for usage of both Avast and Avira are given with print screens on multiple threads including Mike's Essential Free Security Tools sticky and individually on many other threads. So the comments and instructions for usage for both of those at least can hardly be called "generalized".

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit
IE11;WLM2012; Firefox v.28.0

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit
Cable/Wireless
Avira Free; Windows Firewall; SpywareBlaster;
MBA-M; SpyBot;SAS

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Windows 8.1 Pro

On posts like this one I always reference av-comparative. They are a well respected independent tester of all the major players. For the past several years the only one that beats Avira is GDATA and I never even heard of them and they are a paid product.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Life's Tough,Get A Helmet

Detailed Instructions For Installing Avira Antivirus 2012 Free

I just installed this new version without a hitch on my Windows 7 64bit. Here are detailed instructions and information concerning the newest version.

Before anybody accuses me of yelling, I say at the outset of these instructions, I have chosen to bold and CAPITALIZE some of the instructions ONLY as a way to show these are very important and should most definitely be noted, and I am not yelling at anybody.

You can download the installation package for Avira Free Antivirus 2012 and use the installation package to upgrade your Avira.

Here is the direct link from Avira
http://www.avira.com/en/support-down...free-antivirus

Click the .exe button, it is the TOP button. You can save it wherever you can easily find it, I chose My Desktop.

Before you begin the install CLOSE all unnecessary programs, browsers, email, etc.

If you currently have Avira installed you DO NOT have to remove the old version first. Of course if you are running a different antivirus program then Yes, it must be uninstalled first, but other versions of Avira do not.

The old version will be removed by the install package, you will be prompted to restart, and installation process for Avira Antivirus 2012 Free will be performed ​​automatically. You will be prompted to restart again. Then, everything should work fine.

To begin, double click the executable file to start installation. Vista and Windows 7 users must run this executable as Admininistrator.

Before installation the installer will scan your system for other security programs installed. Avira Free AntiVirus 2012 may warn you of POSSIBLE incompatible security software on your system like Emsisoft AntiMalware, some 3rd party Firewalls, especially Zone Alarm. It is just a warning of POSSIBLE conflicts and you do not need to uninstall these software programs. Just install Avira Free AV and everything is OK. I was warned about SpyBot and SpywareBlaster, I IGNORED the warning, I still have the programs and they ARE working fine. The warning is of POSSIBLE conflicts, not absolutes. I say again, you DO NOT have to uninstall the programs you may receive a warning about. The Avira program has a WebGuard included ONLY IF you first accept it, this would be one reason for this type of warning. I will get to the WebGuard in a moment.

After you click the executable, and if you have the previous version of Avira Free installed, the installer will FIRST Uninstall the old version, this will take a few minutes, you will see the progress of this uninstall. You will then be told in order to proceed the computer must be rebooted, please allow it to do so. The computer will shut down, reboot and proceed with the install.

Once the computer is fully booted the install will proceed. You will need to WATCH the full install as ALL of it REQUIRES User interaction. It will not proceed unless you continue to follow it and read the screens and then click the required buttons to go forward.

One of the first screens you will see is Attachment #1. Choose Installation Type choose CUSTOM INSTALL as shown then click Next.

One of the next screens you will see is Attachment #2.
This is where the WebGuard comes in. The screen is titled Web Protection with Avira Search Free Tool Bar for your browser.
This is the askbar that at first was automatically included without user interaction that caused such an uproar when it was added back in June. Avira finally listened to the feedback about this and has definitely made this a true OPTION. NOT a DEFAULT inclusion.
You DO NOT have to take it, in fact you must actually CHOOSE to take it. I say again, it is NOT automatically included and you must personally CHOOSE to take them by putting in two separate check marks in order to have this included.

*If you do not put the check marks in yourself these two items, the AskBar or the WebGuard will NOT be included in the install.*

The warning I received about SpyBot and SpywareBlaster was because of a possible conflict between the WebGuard and SpywareBlaster and the Immunize feature of SpyBot because essentially they are all three the same thing. I knew immediately this was the reason for the warning I received and I knew in advance that I was not taking the WebGuard or the AskBar so I knew positively there would be no conflict between the programs. Remember, if you do want the WebGuard then you do have to take the AskBar. DON'T! Just use SpywareBlaster.
See my attachment #2 for what you truly see when these items are offered. Notice there is NO default check mark in either box, they DO NOT place them for you, you must do it yourself if you WANT them. You don't want them click Next and the install will proceed without those two items included.
The next screens are pretty self explanatory.

Attachment #3 shows Install Components. Check marks are all ready in place as these are the Default choices. Just click Next.

Attachment #4 is Advanced Heuristic Analysis and Detection. Default is Medium. Just click Next. After that installation will proceed to the end, showing you various screens.

When complete the program should update to latest definitions and then do a short scan.

Scheduling with this verison is already set up according to how you had your preferences in the old version. If you didn't have another version then you will have to set these up yourself.

This interface is slightly different than the older one. See my attachment #5.

One thing you will notice in attachment #5 is it has a few greyed features which means these features are not available in freeware. But they are in the package in case you later decide to purchase the paid version later. This is why this version is 24mb larger than the old version, still very small compared to many other paid antivirus programs. Also note where to click in order to do a manual scan.

Hope this helps. For persons using the previous version who do have problems with the install of the new version I do have other instructions to assist with the install if needed. just let me know.

Judy
Attached Images Avira #1.jpg (48.6 KB, 145 views)
Avira #2.jpg (64.6 KB, 142 views)
Avira #3.jpg (53.2 KB, 131 views)
Avira #4.jpg (68.5 KB, 128 views)
Avira # 5.jpg (73.6 KB, 128 views)

http://forum.worldstart.com/showpost...53&postcount=2

To see the attached images go to the link I attached...

Last edited by Kassie; 01-10-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Tercr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassie View Post
I just installed this new version without a hitch on my Windows 7 64bit. Here are detailed instructions and information concerning the newest version.

Before anybody accuses me of yelling, I say at the outset of these instructions, I have chosen to bold and CAPITALIZE some of the instructions ONLY as a way to show these are very important and should most definitely be noted, and I am not yelling at anybody.

You can download the installation package for Avira Free Antivirus 2012 and use the installation package to upgrade your Avira.

Here is the direct link from Avira

Click the .exe button, it is the TOP button. You can save it wherever you can easily find it, I chose My Desktop.

Before you begin the install CLOSE all unnecessary programs, browsers, email, etc.

If you currently have Avira installed you DO NOT have to remove the old version first. Of course if you are running a different antivirus program then Yes, it must be uninstalled first, but other versions of Avira do not.

The old version will be removed by the install package, you will be prompted to restart, and installation process for Avira Antivirus 2012 Free will be performed ​​automatically. You will be prompted to restart again. Then, everything should work fine.

To begin, double click the executable file to start installation. Vista and Windows 7 users must run this executable as Admininistrator.

Before installation the installer will scan your system for other security programs installed. Avira Free AntiVirus 2012 may warn you of POSSIBLE incompatible security software on your system like Emsisoft AntiMalware, some 3rd party Firewalls, especially Zone Alarm. It is just a warning of POSSIBLE conflicts and you do not need to uninstall these software programs. Just install Avira Free AV and everything is OK. I was warned about SpyBot and SpywareBlaster, I IGNORED the warning, I still have the programs and they ARE working fine. The warning is of POSSIBLE conflicts, not absolutes. I say again, you DO NOT have to uninstall the programs you may receive a warning about. The Avira program has a WebGuard included ONLY IF you first accept it, this would be one reason for this type of warning. I will get to the WebGuard in a moment.

After you click the executable, and if you have the previous version of Avira Free installed, the installer will FIRST Uninstall the old version, this will take a few minutes, you will see the progress of this uninstall. You will then be told in order to proceed the computer must be rebooted, please allow it to do so. The computer will shut down, reboot and proceed with the install.

Once the computer is fully booted the install will proceed. You will need to WATCH the full install as ALL of it REQUIRES User interaction. It will not proceed unless you continue to follow it and read the screens and then click the required buttons to go forward.

One of the first screens you will see is Attachment #1. Choose Installation Type choose CUSTOM INSTALL as shown then click Next.

One of the next screens you will see is Attachment #2.
This is where the WebGuard comes in. The screen is titled Web Protection with Avira Search Free Tool Bar for your browser.
This is the askbar that at first was automatically included without user interaction that caused such an uproar when it was added back in June. Avira finally listened to the feedback about this and has definitely made this a true OPTION. NOT a DEFAULT inclusion.
You DO NOT have to take it, in fact you must actually CHOOSE to take it. I say again, it is NOT automatically included and you must personally CHOOSE to take them by putting in two separate check marks in order to have this included.

*If you do not put the check marks in yourself these two items, the AskBar or the WebGuard will NOT be included in the install.*

The warning I received about SpyBot and SpywareBlaster was because of a possible conflict between the WebGuard and SpywareBlaster and the Immunize feature of SpyBot because essentially they are all three the same thing. I knew immediately this was the reason for the warning I received and I knew in advance that I was not taking the WebGuard or the AskBar so I knew positively there would be no conflict between the programs. Remember, if you do want the WebGuard then you do have to take the AskBar. DON'T! Just use SpywareBlaster.
See my attachment #2 for what you truly see when these items are offered. Notice there is NO default check mark in either box, they DO NOT place them for you, you must do it yourself if you WANT them. You don't want them click Next and the install will proceed without those two items included.
The next screens are pretty self explanatory.

Attachment #3 shows Install Components. Check marks are all ready in place as these are the Default choices. Just click Next.

Attachment #4 is Advanced Heuristic Analysis and Detection. Default is Medium. Just click Next. After that installation will proceed to the end, showing you various screens.

When complete the program should update to latest definitions and then do a short scan.

Scheduling with this verison is already set up according to how you had your preferences in the old version. If you didn't have another version then you will have to set these up yourself.

This interface is slightly different than the older one. See my attachment #5.

One thing you will notice in attachment #5 is it has a few greyed features which means these features are not available in freeware. But they are in the package in case you later decide to purchase the paid version later. This is why this version is 24mb larger than the old version, still very small compared to many other paid antivirus programs. Also note where to click in order to do a manual scan.

Hope this helps. For persons using the previous version who do have problems with the install of the new version I do have other instructions to assist with the install if needed. just let me know.

Judy
Attached Images Avira #1.jpg (48.6 KB, 145 views)
Avira #2.jpg (64.6 KB, 142 views)
Avira #3.jpg (53.2 KB, 131 views)
Avira #4.jpg (68.5 KB, 128 views)
Avira # 5.jpg (73.6 KB, 128 views)

To see the attached images go to the link I attached...
Ok , that's where those of us that use MSE ,do not have to jump through hoops ,but if a holla hoop makes you fit ,use it .
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 AM

MSE for me hands down
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 AM
Protecting and Serving

Thanks Kassie

The time that you spent composing those clear directions for installing of Avira AV will surely help those who need help. Nice job. I install Avira free on client's rigs if they want to use a good AV, other than Eset Nod32 retail.

Tom
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
irishlady

Thank you all for your help you are so helpful
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Ok , that's where those of us that use MSE ,do not have to jump through hoops ,but if a holla hoop makes you fit ,use it .
It is not jumping through hoops really, it is called either advanced or custom configuration. I have a friend who works for M$ in Redmond that has told me of plans for a more customizable version of MSE. The last he heard it was due to go into development later this year.....He is NOT part of that group but does have access to certain information relating to product development.
Mike's free security tools
Registry Cleaners are Unnecessary!!!
Reformatting is your last course of action.
System Restore, Don't use it!
Just because it is on Youtube, does not make it true!
Spes mea in Deo est
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffbros View Post
On posts like this one I always reference av-comparative. They are a well respected independent tester of all the major players. For the past several years the only one that beats Avira is GDATA and I never even heard of them and they are a paid product.
Absolutely!
Below are print screens of the latest results, along with the most highly rated products for 2012.
Note that MSE elected not to participate in Real World Protection testing.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit
Cable/Wireless
Avira Free; Windows Firewall; SpywareBlaster;
MBA-M; SpyBot;SAS

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up