Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Waterfox vs. Firefox

I installed Waterfox browser and have been using it instead of Firefox. Waterfox is supposed to be faster because it is 64 bit and Firefox is 32 bit. However, I don't seem to see any difference in the speed of the browsers. My Windows 7 is 64 bit.
Does anyone have any information about them to prove the difference?
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Mozilla Firefox Preferred Browser
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Had not heard of this until your post. It is based on Firefox of course. Guess in theory it should be faster because it is a 64bit program FOR 64bit computers and 64bit is faster. Only drawback, I would think anyway is any plugins also have to be 64bit, according to MozillaZine postings about it. These are the same drawbacks to using the IE 64bit version, some things just don't work on it because they aren't available in 64bit versions.

There are quite a few posts and threads about Waterfox at Mozilla and MozillaZine if you what to look around there. Here's a link to the google search page with the results found

http://www.google.com/search?q=mozil...erfox&ie=UTF-8

One of them noting that you should create a brand new profile for Waterfox instead of using your Firefox profile because Waterfox can mess up your Firefox Settings.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/908181

EDIT:
For those reading who have a 32bit computer please note bold above...the Waterfox browser is for a 64 bit computer so if you have a 32bit computer this is NOT for you and you cannot use this browser.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.33.0.2, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up

Last edited by jholland1964; 02-26-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Had not heard of this until your post. It is based on Firefox of course. Guess in theory it should be faster because it is a 64bit program FOR 64bit computers and 64bit is faster. Only drawback, I would think anyway is any plugins also have to be 64bit, according to MozillaZine postings about it. These are the same drawbacks to using the IE 64bit version, some things just don't work on it because they aren't available in 64bit versions.

There are quite a few posts and threads about Waterfox at Mozilla and MozillaZine if you what to look around there. Here's a link to the google search page with the results found

http://www.google.com/search?q=mozil...erfox&ie=UTF-8

One of them noting that you should create a brand new profile for Waterfox instead of using your Firefox profile because Waterfox can mess up your Firefox Settings.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/908181

EDIT:
For those reading who have a 32bit computer please note bold above...the Waterfox browser is for a 64 bit computer so if you have a 32bit computer this is NOT for you and you cannot use this browser.
I checked and found that all my extensions were included in Waterfox but most of my plug-ins were omitted - I guess that they are 32 bit. I did not change my profile for Waterfox because I did not realize that there would be a problem between the two browsers. I checked some of the discussion at Mozilla, etc and the consensus seems to be no difference in speed. Since I don't see any speed advantage between the two, I guess I will be going back to Firefox, it's tried and true!
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Waterfox IS a Mozilla project. They have numerous projects they work on there. But I am not an "experimenter" really so after reading all I found, I am sticking with Firefox, works great for me and Firefox is there main project. As for speed, I found a marked difference just using the 64bit system, it is a lot faster and my 32bit programs also seem to run faster on it. Only 64bit program actually installed IS the IE 64bit and that of course comes included with the 64bit operating system, with the caution that until there are more 64bit plugins available it won't be as fully functional as the 32bit version, of course also included.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit SP1
Firefox v.33.0.2, IE11;WLM2012; Avira Free, Windows Firewall, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntispyware

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit SP1
*same programs as computer 1 above*

Help Us To Help You

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland1964 View Post
Waterfox IS a Mozilla project. They have numerous projects they work on there. But I am not an "experimenter" really so after reading all I found, I am sticking with Firefox, works great for me and Firefox is there main project. As for speed, I found a marked difference just using the 64bit system, it is a lot faster and my 32bit programs also seem to run faster on it. Only 64bit program actually installed IS the IE 64bit and that of course comes included with the 64bit operating system, with the caution that until there are more 64bit plugins available it won't be as fully functional as the 32bit version, of course also included.
I know that Waterfox is a Mozilla project and it was obvious because as soon as I installed it, it picked up all the Firefox profile and appeared to be identical to Firefox.
I feel that Firefox is fast enough for me even though it is only 32 bit.
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Drive
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Junior Senior Member

When they say "faster" they are often talking milliseconds, imperceptible to a human.

The primary governor of a web browser's speed is generally the connection between the user and the ISP.

Paul D

Intel Core Duo @ 900 MHz, 1070Gb HDs, 2gb Ram, DVDRW, Vista Home Premium, 2 x 24" Widescreen ASUS LED/LCD Monitors, HDTV Card, ADSL2