Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Related search left side popup

yesterday there was/is a popup on the left side of my browser it says related searches and because I use zoom it takes up at least 3/4 of my screen it has a little x that you can make it go away but when you click for the next page it is back..what the heck is it and how did I get it and how can I get it to stop..nomater which browser/search engine I use it there..need it gone pleas thanks in advance for any help..
Dell, Os-windows XP home, verson 2002,sp3 Model-DIM2400 intel (R), CPU-Pentium (R) 4cPU2.40GHZ,256 MB or Ram,Hard Drv. 38.2GB, Firefox, oe 8 Avast, spywareblaster, SuperAniSpyware. Ccleaner.Win.Def. malwarebits, WOT, adblock Defaggler,Dsl
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjmlks View Post
yesterday there was/is a popup on the left side of my browser it says related searches and because I use zoom it takes up at least 3/4 of my screen it has a little x that you can make it go away but when you click for the next page it is back..what the heck is it and how did I get it and how can I get it to stop..nomater which browser/search engine I use it there..need it gone pleas thanks in advance for any help..
Sounds like a spyware issue. Click the tools menu > addon's. What addon's and extensions do you see there? What browser are you using?
Did you download, install or make any changes right before this problem started?
Can you post a screenshot?

There is a spyware infection called WebCake. Sounds like you might have this. Do you have Malwarebytes Free installed?

Last edited by Sunny; 07-16-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Sunny

I will have to check when it gets dark..I have MD and low light vision and can't see when its daytime..I have only d/l avast and spywater blaster and ccleaner..ttul thanks
Dell, Os-windows XP home, verson 2002,sp3 Model-DIM2400 intel (R), CPU-Pentium (R) 4cPU2.40GHZ,256 MB or Ram,Hard Drv. 38.2GB, Firefox, oe 8 Avast, spywareblaster, SuperAniSpyware. Ccleaner.Win.Def. malwarebits, WOT, adblock Defaggler,Dsl
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM

just was able to check my addons

and sure enought web cake was listed as enabled now what do I do..my vision is really bad tonight so will check back in the mornin than you..oh and the only thihings I d/i or tried to was virtual mag. glass which didn't work bet that was where I got it...tab
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 7 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Torch, IE 11 & cable.
Run Malwarebytes, then remove web cake.

Click Here to view latest edition
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
and sure enought web cake was listed as enabled now what do I do..my vision is really bad tonight so will check back in the mornin than you..oh and the only thihings I d/i or tried to was virtual mag. glass which didn't work bet that was where I got it...tab
Open control panel > programs. Uninstall it.
Download the free version of Malwarebytes. Update it and run a complete scan and remove what is found.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...i_malware.html

Open your browser and check your add-on's, toolbars and extensions. Remove webcake or anything else that is suspicious.
If your homepage has been reset set it back to whatever homepage you like.
One that is done reboot. I am going to move this post to the virus/malware forum.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Location: Old Californian using Windows 7 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Torch, IE 11 & cable.
Here is the download file for an older version that I have used for some time. It's safe because I uploaded it to my own server. This is temporary only so pls advise after you have it.

http://www.philsden.com/02/Temp/malw....60.0.1800.exe
Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Here is the download file for an older version that I have used for some time. It's safe because I uploaded it to my own server. This is temporary only so pls advise after you have it.

Phil, I would advise you to get rid of this old version of whatever you are offering. Your link also doesn't work by the way.
Not really sure what it is you are offering an older version of, but if it is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware then that means the program itself would be out of date. If you do not have the program on the machine you must always download the latest version which can easily be obtained from the link that Sunny posted. Malwarebytes' is a Permanent program that should be kept on the computer, updated and used for scanning each week, it is not a temporary program.

To remove WebCakes do the following:
Uninstall via Add/Remove plus toolbars/browser addons as directed by Sunny.

Next download AdwCleaner.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Save to desktop
Open AdwCleaner, press Search Button. The Search button will cause AdwCleaner to search your computer for unwanted programs and then display a log showing the various files, folders, and registry entries used by these programs.

To delete these unwanted programs simply click on the Delete button, which will cause AdwCleaner to reboot your computer and remove the files and registry entries associated with the various adware that you are removing. On reboot, AdwCleaner will display a log showing the files, folders, and registry entries that were removed.

Next download Junkware Removal Tool utility

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/

Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, youíll need to press any key to perform a scan for unwanted applications.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your systemís specifications.
When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer. There is NO reboot required.

Next, use MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware downloaded from the link supplied by Sunny. Install, Update, and Run a FULL Scan with the program, Please allow it to Remove All items found.

Once you have completed the above then you can safely Delete the JunkwareRemoval Tool, it is no longer needed. Also Open AdwCleaner again and this time hit the Uninstall Button and it will Uninstall itself. This also is no longer needed and should Not be kept on the computer.
Keep Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware and update it weekly and at least run a Quick Scan with it. If items are found using the Quick Scan then update again and run a Full Scan, removing all items found.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit
IE11;WLM2012; Firefox v.28.0

2.Dell Inspiron N7010; Windows 7 64bit
Cable/Wireless
Avira Free; Windows Firewall; SpywareBlaster;
MBA-M; SpyBot;SAS

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM

Judy, She asked for an older version of malwarebytes which this is. During the installation of this version it will automatically download and install the latest version. I just did it.
Here is a corrected link. Either my link or Sunny's will get her where she needs to go.

Click Here to view latest edition
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
I will have to check when it gets dark..I have MD and low light vision and can't see when its daytime..I have only d/l avast and spywater blaster and ccleaner..ttul thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Judy, She asked for an older version of malwarebytes which this is. During the installation of this version it will automatically download and install the latest version. I just did it.
Here is a corrected link. Either my link or Sunny's will get her where she needs to go.
Phil, I don't see anyplace where she asked for an older version of Malwarebytes. All she said she had was Avast, SpywareBlaster and CCleaner.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit

Cable/Wireless
MBA-M; SpyBot;SAS

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Senior Member, Retired

Judy, this is where the older version of MBA-M was asked for, in original post. This is in ask & answer forum.

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=164666

My Computer Specs

Canon Pixma MG2120 Printer
New 3/19/13
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Almost Really Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
Judy, this is where the older version of MBA-M was asked for, in original post. This is in ask & answer forum.

http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=164666
Thanks for the answer Robert! I read this thread so many times my eyes nearly crossed and couldn't see that anywhere! No wonder! I never saw the thread in Ask & Answer.
Same advice still holds though, always download most recent version of a scanner or removal tool and don't rely on an older version download to be able to update fully. You never can be certain if the program will work correctly when dealing with what is already known to be a computer with an infection.

By the way, this Web Cake "deal" is known to be bundled in downloads from CNET, Download.com, Softonic and Brotherssoft because sites like those use a 3rd party installer, which is NEVER needed.

1. Dell Inspiron N5040;
Windows 7 64bit

Cable/Wireless
MBA-M; SpyBot;SAS

System Restore

Stick with the Clean up