Old 11-11-2002, 12:19 PM

Movies on the PC

If anyone is interested in renting movies to watch on their PC, there is a new service starting called www.movielink.com.

From what I have seen, so far, they will cost from $1.95 and up, depending on the release date.

GETTING STARTED
If you want to get right to the movies, visit our Main Page at www.movielink.com. Just click on your favorite genre or category to browse our movie library. Click on any movie box to get movie details, view movie photos, or just watch a few movie clips.

TIPS
Here are some tips that will help you get the most out of your Movielink experience.
To download and play our movies, you'll need to have the Movielink Manager installed. We'll prompt you to install it during Checkout or you can install it in advance by clicking the Movielink Manager link at the top of the page at www.movielink.com.

Once you have installed the Movielink Manager, you can check the status of your downloads and play downloaded movies without visiting our website. Just double-click the Movielink Manager icon on your desktop.

In most cases, you will have 30 days to download and begin playing your rental.

Your 24-hour viewing period begins when you start playing your rental. You can watch the movie as many times as you like within this 24-hour period.

Might be worth a look.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 PM

not yet ready

if you want to down load and watch movies on your laptop on the go then this might be the service for you. but if you have a media center pc or someother configuration that allows for digital content to be played on a large screen with full DTS audio then Movielinks is not the answer. First because of compression the video quality is very compremissed. And as for the audio. well lets just say Movielinks has chossen to eliminate it. the only audio is a very flat mono track. I gather this was done to prevent pirates from coping and distributing the content. but that reason does not make since, because what pirate would send and hour to down load a movie when the could go to blockbuster and 30 min later have a riped copy. Bottom line if you are a movie buff who enjoys your home theater then the download solutions are not for you. stick with getting the DVD. If you are tired of driving then use blockbuster online or netflix. I do have a complant why would movielink think tha anyone would pay full price for a DVD that does the have the extras of the audio or video qualiy of a DVD. even a shutin has the option on online rentals. please someone explain this marketing strategy to me. Who is their target audience. On the go movie rentals tha makes sense. download to own at full price and poor quailty just can't see it. plus on the go rentals should be longer then 24 hours. at least for the weekend. You are on the go to get a solid block of time might not be possible. you know 30min layover here 1 hour layover their. That is what I use it for. I will download two or threre movies watch part of one maybe a part of the other. might get through the whole thing. but when I get home I might sit down and watch the ending. right now that involves going to blockbuster because if I am at home I don't want to watch it on my laptop. I want to see it on my TV