Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Still learning...

Question Do I need Real Player, Windows Media, etc?

I just got a new pc and I want to know if I need a bunch of sound or media programs? I access online recordings often (for business training) and some need Quicktime, others say I need Real Player, still others, Windows Media. Do I really need them all? Can I just configure one to do it all?
Thanks for any input on this. If I don't need them all, should I uninstall them or just leave them be?

TOSHIBA Satellite R15 Tablet pc
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition Service Pack 2
Mobile Intel Pentium M 725, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
60 GB, 512 MB SDRAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio(?)
Intel 82852/82855 GM/GMEGraphics Controller 64 MB
Norton - ZONE ALARM - cable
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 AM
Retired Computer Techo

Well you need Quicktime for file extension .mov Windows Media Player will do the rest. Not sure about Real though (extensions .rm)
See http://drn.digitalriver.com/category...%5Ddriverguide
2.67 GHz Intel Core2 Quad 2GB RAM, 150GB + 500GB + 2TB SATA + 1TB Ext, DVD-RW, WinXP Pro (SP3), IE7, Avira, Outpost Firewall, Nero 7, Office XP. Cable. Pics of my Radar & Parrish now retired therapy dogs below.
Google is your friend

Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Uber Member

As long as you have room on your hard drive, leave them.
Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land,
not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Still learning...

Thank you MMFELL. Then I need to take note of the file extensions in the files I watch/listen to, right? I guess I was hoping for a simple 'no you don't need all those programs' kind of response! Thank you for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:12 AM
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF
As long as you have room on your hard drive, leave them.
I do have lots of room - at least for now. Thank you. Out of curiosity , is there a particular reason?

60 GB, 512 MB SDRAM
Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
I just got a new pc and I want to know if I need a bunch of sound or media programs? I access online recordings often (for business training) and some need Quicktime, others say I need Real Player, still others, Windows Media. Do I really need them all? Can I just configure one to do it all?
Thanks for any input on this. If I don't need them all, should I uninstall them or just leave them be?
If you would like a program that has all the QT and RP codecs, without a lot of junk with it, I would suggest K-Lite Codecs Pack. It has Quick Time Alternative and Real Player Alternative included in the codecs. Keeps out a lot of useless junk from those two players. http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/
8GB RAm
1 TB HD
Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm65
If you would like a program that has all the QT and RP codecs, without a lot of junk with it, I would suggest K-Lite Codecs Pack. It has Quick Time Alternative and Real Player Alternative included in the codecs. Keeps out a lot of useless junk from those two players. http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/
Thanks Bill. I've gone to the websit and this sound like what I need. It says:

"The Full version contains even more codecs and also has encoding support. It is highly recommended to uninstall all existing codec related software before installing. This way your system stays clean and potential problems will be avoided."

Do I understand right? Does this mean then that I would need to uninstall the other programs - windows media Player, Quicktime, etc?

Thanks again,

60 GB, 512 MB SDRAM
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 AM

THE ALL IN ONE PLAYER

Plays everything!

DVD help

Photofiltre Graphic Editor

Old 08-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
Thanks Bill. I've gone to the websit and this sound like what I need. It says:

"The Full version contains even more codecs and also has encoding support. It is highly recommended to uninstall all existing codec related software before installing. This way your system stays clean and potential problems will be avoided."

Do I understand right? Does this mean then that I would need to uninstall the other programs - windows media Player, Quicktime, etc?

Thanks again,
Yes, look in your ADD/REMOVE program and remove anything that has codecs in it. I kept windows media player, because I have a lot of music on it, but definately remove Quick time and Real player.
8GB RAm
1 TB HD