Old 10-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Major Member

Question Missing a Service in Services.msc

Would this work ?
Quote:
ReInstalling WindowsXP
Added 5/21/02
One Computer Guy's Tips

If you need to reinstall WindowsXP and want to keep all your current installed applications and settings:

1. Start WindowsXP
2. Go to the location of your source files
3. Run WINNT32 /unattend

I've often need to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and didn't want to do a clean install.
Reason I ask is in my "Services" I lost the "Server" one and you need that to run MBSA (my System details below)

Anyone ??
Tks,
Sherri
Old 10-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Epic Member

It's possible that a file has gone corrupt or registry entry has gone bad.

Try downloading and reinstalling MBSA.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ault.mspx#EEAA

Larry
8 CH Realtek surround sound. LG 22" LED Monitor.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Major Member

Tks LARRY, will give that a try and let ya's know.

Sherri
Old 10-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Major Member

Question

Well, what I did instead was a repair install and no go... But I can scan directly from the Administrator account, but here's the problems it's showing
(see attachments)

In the 1st attachment, it shows it can't determine the File system installed ?
I don't get this... Can't figure out what I could have done... And when I click on the link for info to fix it (see this) How to restore the default NTFS permissions for Windows 2000 It don't make sense to me, im on WinXP Pro and it's refering to Windows 2000 ??

In the 2nd attachment, look at "Restrict Anonymous" and "Shares". On the shares there is a link to fix it, but can't remember what it said....

Oh and I did find a way to do an MBSA scan "Offline too" using the mbsacli command-line utility with the /nd parameter MBSA Offline Scan .. Problem with this tho, I can't find the results as it's done with the Command prompt screen and it shows and closes when done ?

Isn't there anyway to get the "Server" Service back with adjusting the Registry or something similiar ??

Sherri
Attached Images
File Type: gif MBSA Scan 10-02-05 pg1.gif (13.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: gif MBSA Scan 10-02-05 pg2.gif (16.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Major Member

Question

Here's some more info that im hoping might help... Please take a look at the pictures...

Under the 2nd pic (Help & Support), this is an additional comment it shows, don't do me any good:
Quote:
Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message.
I did notice that in the 1st "pic capture" it referes to an error code in the "DWORD" ... Maybe I can change this to a 1 for the service to be started again? But where would I find it ?....

Sherri
Attached Images
File Type: gif ApplicationError-fromEventViewer 10-04-05.gif (42.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: gif Help-n-Support_Info.gif (20.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by PinkAngel_701; 10-04-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Mr.Beaker

Enable File and Print Sharing

Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections. Right-click your connection, choose Properties, click Install > Service > Add ... and the rest is obvious.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Major Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett
Enable File and Print Sharing
Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections. Right-click your connection, choose Properties, click Install > Service > Add ... and the rest is obvious.
Brett,
But what does *Enable File & Print Sharing* have to do with the "server" service running ?... U mean by me deleting it, thats why I can't run MBSA scans ??

Sherri
Old 10-17-2005, 02:44 AM
Mr.Beaker

Server Service

Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Used for file and print sharing from your computer or Message Queuing. For security purposes, you may disable this service if you do not require local printers and files shared across your network. Connectivity, however, still exists even on incoming shared network drives. Workstation needs to be running to connect to another computer that has the files you are looking for. Note: If you disable File and Print sharing, the Server Service may disappear from the Services listing. Just enable File and Print sharing again and the Server Service will return.

http://www.security.ku.edu/download/...criptions.html
Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Major Member

Thumbs up

Woo Hoo Brett !!

That was the problem and it Worked !!... Thank you so Very Much for this information
Im back in business and MBSA is running smoothly

Huggs,
Sherri
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Mr.Beaker

Good news